Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thumping noise coming from speakers!!

Options
  • 27-06-2005 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a Japanese Imported MX5. It has a good sound system. Bose speakers and Amp. However when I got the car the cd player wasn't working so they bought me a nice Pioneer cd player and installed it for me.

However, there is an awful "thumping" noise everytime I change radio
    station, switch from CD to Radio and when I turn on/off the cd
    player!

Its a loud thump noise coming from the speakers!

I brought it to the garage and their "sound expert" dude spoke alot of
    waffle to me about sound, speakers, amps blah blah blah. The bottom
    line is that he says that in order to get rid of the noise he would
    have to bypass the amp thus loosing quality of sound. He also said
    this was a common problem with japenese imports using european stereos.

Has anybody else come accross this?? Surely the cd players you get
    here should be able to hook up to an amp bought in japan??

The car has Bose speakers and amplifier which is apparently located
    under unit where the gear stick is!

Any advice/help appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

there is an awful "thumping" noise

Sounds like you've got a dodgy earth, or wires touching each other. Crappy wiring job basically and the guy in the shop is blowing smoke up your ass so as to avoid redoing it.

Go back and get them to do it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

magpie wrote:
    Sounds like you've got a dodgy earth, or wires touching each other. Crappy wiring job basically and the guy in the shop is blowing smoke up your ass so as to avoid redoing it.

Go back and get them to do it properly.

Hmmmm, he said he would re-wire it for me but the only thing he could do was bypass the amp therefore loosing the quality of sound. He was fully prepared to do it. He reckoned it would take him 2 hours so I don't think he was trying to get out of a bit of work.

The sound quality is excellent so I dont want to loose that by bypassing the amp.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

This problem is usually down to poor earthing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

I doubt it has anything to do with the amp, unless of course the amp isn't earthed properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I had a Honda Acccord a few years back which had a Bose sound system in it.
    I recall the manual of it went to great pains(you know- capital letters etc.) to point out that the system would only work correctly with a Bose headunit and not to change it for a different brand.( I put it down to a sales gimmick)
    The system was very good tho'

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
Advertisement