Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yet another bike insurance gripe

Options
  • 27-06-2005 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

So Hibernian is pulling out of motorbike insurance...

That leaves Carole Nash and AON (AXA) - great competition in the marketplace!

I am new in Ireland (arrived here after 5 years in Aus) and am looking at buying a bike to get through the chronic Dublin traffic. I'm 35 and have a full Australian car and bike licence. According to the Oasis Information on Public Services website, my licence is transferrable to a full Irish licence. I'm looking at a Fazer 400 in the next day or two so phoned CN and AON for a quote:

CN : told me I had to go back on Irish provisionals (???) and quoted me 1019

AON : wouldn't give me an official quote until I had passed their training course (but said that it is in group 10 and would probably be 1400)

Is this an accurate representation of the state that a first world country's insurance business is in?

Does anyone else have an insurance quote for a similar bike to compare with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

scorn wrote:
    CN : told me I had to go back on Irish provisionals (???) and quoted me 1019
    Someonen else had the exact same problem with CN recently and a French licence. I don't know where they're pulling this bull**** out of. Swop your licence for an Irish one and don't mention anything about an Aussie licence. They won't ask you for a driver number. Afaik, CN make no difference between provisional and full licence quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

The irish insurance industry is a load of bollocks, nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Last week CN quoted me €800 TPO on my VanVan 125 - prov A+3 years NCB, AON quoted me 800 fully comp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Yeah, Insurance here is a disaster.

22 provisional A, getting a cbr125, bike cost 3500, TPO cost 3500, fully comp cost in excess of 9000 with axa.

Carol Nash and Hibernian hung up on me.

six months into that I did the aon training course and test thing and they were going to send me a big check but i added a gsf600 to it. so I basically got 18 months insurance for the 600 and 125 for 3300, I got a little check.

I've just passed my test but am entitled to no reduction because I got thier test a few months back but ten months time when I need to renew I'll have one years no claims, hopefully, so I'm looking at 2000.

Although I did get run over so it'll probaly be 2200 or 2500 thereabouts.

tk... you got a van van, seriously funky looking bikes. great for three up trips to the beach lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

saobh_ie wrote:

tk... you got a van van, seriously funky looking bikes. great for three up trips to the beach lol.
    I'm thinking of trading it for a purple 400c Shadow - whaddya tink? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

They’re not bad looking; I’m not actually supposed to like cruisers (I’ll get bet up) but it’ll likely be a much more capable machine than your 125. Does it come in under the restriction? I presume your still on provisional or two year restriction.

Definitely, go for it if ya can. =] There’s nothing quite like your first big bike. It will keep you happier for longer. And before anyone says it, everything looks big when you’re on a 125. =]

How do you find the vanvan? Any good on dual carriageways, good grip in the wet?

Advertisement