Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish prisoners lose the right to have maids.

• 27-06-2005 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

This is just crazy! Feckin' typical that they only decided to abolish this now after almost 60 years!! I can see it now - Ray Burke in his cell chomping down on a nice take-out while his maid rubs his feet for him... Bloody hell...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

yeah its ridiculous that that rule stood for so long sure if that was the case no wonder criminals re-offended. what kind of justice is that, get sent away for murder only to be treated like a king

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,312 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hundreds of prisoners have lodged legal claims again the government seeking damages because they are being held in cells without toilets and have to "slop out" pots every morning.
    Lets modernize! No more maids, TV, private bedding! Its jail!

Also, I always wondered how they got the drugs in. Now I know. They got their "maids" to bring it in for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭axtradub12

Should be a boot camp :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

I always really hate people when they say this.

Harshness doesn't help anymore than softness does. It's better to be soft so at least the people there, who are at least human beings and many innocent or convicted for ridiculously small things, have some kind of quality of life. Obviously there are limits that are often overstepped especially in this country, but being as hard ass as the American jails certainly is not a good idea.

Making Jail terrible makes them not want to come back, sure, but they don't always think that way, they usually think they'll never end up in there anyway. It does however make them much rougher, harsher individuals.

I believe in reform.... I don't think you can change a person's heart, but I think you can convince them to at least not go around killing people. We're really in the stone age as far as crinimals are concerned, in this world. We do little to attack the cause of the problem.

That's just me and my crazy whacko ideals, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭SF1

My God, Jail sounds like a Bill Butlins camp :rolleyes: not a place to do hard time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭GOAT_BOY

Rozie wrote:
    I always really hate people when they say this.

Harshness doesn't help anymore than softness does. It's better to be soft so at least the people there, who are at least human beings and many innocent or convicted for ridiculously small things, have some kind of quality of life. Obviously there are limits that are often overstepped especially in this country, but being as hard ass as the American jails certainly is not a good idea.

Making Jail terrible makes them not want to come back, sure, but they don't always think that way, they usually think they'll never end up in there anyway. It does however make them much rougher, harsher individuals.

I believe in reform.... I don't think you can change a person's heart, but I think you can convince them to at least not go around killing people. We're really in the stone age as far as crinimals are concerned, in this world. We do little to attack the cause of the problem.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

GOAT_BOY wrote:
    :rolleyes:

What a helpful, mature comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

most people do not have maids.. we all have to clean up after ourself why should it be different for people in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭GOAT_BOY

Rozie wrote:
    What a helpful, mature comment.
    what comment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭shellby

prison systems are a joke why not pack their bags and send them on a holiday somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Perhaps video cameras should be put up in prison and beamed to E4 viewers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

Never seen any maids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Rozie wrote:

You said it!

Advertisement