Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Aussies Leaving for Home

Options
  • 27-06-2005 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Am hoping someone here can help me out. We are an aussies couple who bought a 2nd hand 1998 Renault Meganne (Auto) while working in Ireland. We then moved to the UK for work. We are now heading home and need to rid ourselves of the car. It is still registered in Ireland but the tax and insurance has run out (still has MOT or whatever it is). Can anyone help us out? There seems to be a phopia here of buying Irish cars (seem to think they come under "grey EU" cars). Do we bring it back to Ireland and try dealers??? We only have a couple of days in Ireland to catch up with friends and family so a private sale would be difficult - unless someone reading this wants it. It is an Automatic which we had trouble finding many when we were looking. Is that a redeeming feature??? Any help is greatly appreciated as there is just over a month before we fly home!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

give it to a friend in ireland and ask them to sell it for you and give them a % of the selling price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 truehuman

Nuttzz - have considered it and really I think it's a last resort. I know it's a lot of hassle to sell a car - ads, appointments etc. - and I don't really want to pass on that responsibility as it might stretch the friendship. But thanks for the idea. Shall chalk them all up and weigh out the pros and cons as I can't see a "perfect" solution to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

truehuman wrote:
    Nuttzz - have considered it and really I think it's a last resort. I know it's a lot of hassle to sell a car - ads, appointments etc. - and I don't really want to pass on that responsibility as it might stretch the friendship. But thanks for the idea. Shall chalk them all up and weigh out the pros and cons as I can't see a "perfect" solution to be honest.

A dealer's going to give you very little for your Megane Auto. Unfortunately, there's a attitude toward automatics from dealers, one of ... "aw jaysus, automatics are terrible hard to sell". It's a lot of nonsense really as there are more and more auto drivers every day.

I've been offered €6,500 by a dealer for a '99 Megane Coupe auto with just 35,000 on it, while The Renault Centre in Dun Laoghaire is asking €11,750 for a similar car. A dealer in Kilcock is asking for €4,000 for a '99 4 door Megane auto with 80k on the clock. It's a lottery really.

I'd say get in touch with a few second hand dealers. A friend could look them up for you. Tell them what you've got and ask for a ballpark offer. Obviously they'll want to see it, but at least you'll know if it's worth bringing back or taking what you can get over there. Might not be a good idea to tell them you're desperate. But then, you are. I'm thinking rock and hard place.

Have you considered shipping it to Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

If you need to get rid of it quickly with minimal effort, you could go with an auction, e.g.
    http://www.merlincarauctions.ie/contentv3/

You may take a hit on the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Or you might consider selling it to someone (whom you may like) who needs a set of wheels for the same as you'd get from a dealer, which is usually 50~75% of the street price.
    that way at least, you are assured of not making stealer happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mrsmagoo

I'm interested!! :)

Need more info obviously. I'm the First Timer Who was looking for car advice the other day on the board. I like Meganes and I’m on the American wavelength and think Automatics rock!!!

Please get back to me with more details.

Advertisement