Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which one would you...

Options
  • 27-06-2005 1:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

...choose? All between 94-98
    1.Rover 214
    2.Mitsubishi Colt 1.3
    3.Peugeot 106
    4.Renault Clio
    5.Fiesta

Which would be best. Looking at spending between 800-1750. Looking for something reliable, new parts not too exspensive, and nice to drive. I dont want to get a micra. Want something with 1.1 - 1.3 (for insurance purposes). Anyone had any bad exsperiences?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Doctor D-Man

Ok if I were you I would go for the fiesta. Old Rovers are very unreliable. The colt is alright. Peugeot and renault look ****e in my opinion. So if it were up to me, i'd say go for the fiesta or the colt. Fiesta is definitely more reliable tho and you can get a few extras on eBay to make it look sporty.

I got a golf myself, a '93 (mk3) for 650 euro. It needed a few repairs (bout 150 worth) but now it runs like a dream. No problems whatsoever. Strong Car with a bit of power too (1.4). I got lexus lights off eBay for about 120 too, car looks great now (Have a look at vage.ie. it's in the golf forums)

It's up to your personal taste. If you don't go for a golf, go for the fiesta. That's my 2 cents anyway and good luck to you whatever you choose. Keep us informed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Hi
    4.Renault Clio
    5.Fiesta

I had a 98 Clio (sold it in 03), and my wife had a 98 Fiesta which she sold last year. I liked my Clio, but at the age you're looking for it would want to have been very well looked after. The Fiesta might be a much better bet, particularly if you can get a 1.25 Zetec (NOT the 1.3 Endura) - far better performance and fuel economy.

As ever, honest john in the UK has good info on what to look out for in second hand cars. http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index.htm

Good Luck

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

My gf just got a '96 clio as a first car.
    I would have chosen a micra (my first car and faultless) but she wouldn't hear of it.
    Clio was a bargain at €1200 (2 yrs NCT, full service, 4 new tyres, 100% working order), though I had to travel to Longford for that kind of price.
    Grand little car with a peppy 1.2L engine (car weighs ~800kg) and very easy to drive. Plenty of squeaks and rattles but not too bad for 100K miles.
    honestjohn.co.uk has good things to say about it.
    User reviews are uniformly positive:
    http://www.carsurvey.org/review_40151.html

I don't have any experience of the other cars.
    However, a friend has just switched from an early '90s fiesta to an early '90s micra and reckons the latter is far better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

so far im swinging towards a mk3 fiesta, or a colt. Both 1.2 or 1.3. I figure they are bigger and a bit more reliable in case of a crash (heard horror stories of micras) Pricewise they seem like the best option too. Parts should be easy enough for them too.
    What about corsas? Overrated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

for pure reliability mate
    it has to be between 2 & 5
    colt & fiesta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 1.25 litre 16v engine in the Fiesta is a Yamaha designed engine and is still a good performer even by today's standards. The best model to go for is the Zetec or Ghia from 1996 onwards. You might be hard pushed to get one for €2k though as these are still sought after. Avoid the 1.3 8v Fiesta as this engine originates back to the Ford Popular of the 1960s.

The Colt is basically a three door version of the Lancer and was infact classed as a bigger car than the Fiesta even though you would be hard pushed to notice the difference. It used a 1.3 litre 12v engine which is tried and tested. It also had power steering as standard. Jap imports were only available with a 1.5 litre engine as far as I know. A bit more room in the front than the Fiesta but the Fiesta had the option of 5 doors if you need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I drive a 1.25 fiesta zetec, although not as old (its an 00) with about 65000 miles on it. Had to get a new exhaust on it the other week (under dealer warranty) but besides that its been great since I got it. Very nippy for the size of the engine, decent mileage (I'm getting about 43mpg if my calculations are correct, mixture of town driving and 15-minute bursts of open road, 100kph to/from work), comfortable in the front, god awful legroom in the back for anyone bigger than a child, but I don't care about them freeloaders in the back, they didn't pay for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have a 99 Mirage/Colt, 1.3 Automatic, 20000 miles on it when I got it and like new otherwise - Jap import, so all the toys as standard :)
    Love it.. and very nippy too (despite all the myths about automatic's being slow).

Around 30 quid will fill the tank and mine came with 4 pretty good speakers as standard

I say go for the Colt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

I have a 99 Rover 214iS with 80000 miles on it and have never had a problem with it, not even a puncture (yet anyway). I bought it new btw.

I haven't driven most of the other cars here but the 1.4 litre engine is quite nippy, ~100BHP I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

I'll agree with people on the colt/fiesta options. Really like the shape of the older colts - new one looks a load of pants :D
    Jap cars, cant go wrong, just a little plain on the inside.
    Fiesta, nicer interior maybe, but not as nice outside as the colt!

just my 2 cents worth!

D...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'd go for the Rover 214 TBH, on condition it was the 16 valve version.
    They cost peanuts to buy and push out 103BHP (or PS... either way theyre almost similar).

People worry about the head gasket on these... Let me tell you from experience the head gasket will NOT Go on these if the coolant/oil is checked on a weekly basis. The long running condition of these cars is soely on how theyre maintained. Take care of your KSeries Rover and she will take care of you.

And if your the kind of "but I dont want to have to maintain my car" person then you shouldnt be driving! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

There are cars I would prefer, but probably:
    1. 1.4 clio sport, a nice car, pretty nippy, bit small though

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Dr.Feelgood

Colt

But it would have been Punto if you had the option wait a second its not like i cant recommend anything.

Get a Punto, they are nippy and fun and have tons of character and i miss mine.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

not on your list, corrolla?

id agree with avoiding the non-zetec fiesta. Pushrod engine FFS!

Colt is a nice all-rounder. Handles reasonably well and good reliability.

Depends on what you want. The idea of the 214 with 100bhp tickles my fancy, but I think it would be fair to say the colt is more than likely going to outlast it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Fiesta lad, had one myself and very reliable, the Clio (new shape) is a nice we car and reliable also

Advertisement