Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Timer Seeks First Car Advice

Options
  • 27-06-2005 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I have just learned to drive and now need my first car. Problem is that I know practically nothing about cars and all I know Ive learned in the past week on the internet.

I am looking to buy a small car, '97 up, good engine, Dublin area with a budget of 2,000 to 3000. I can't find anything suitable. :eek:

Any advice on types of cars or even specific buying tips would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

Get a rotary - rx 2, 7 or 8 :D

To hell with cost and the price of insurance and the rarity of em here, get one anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Most first time buyers go for the good auld reliable Micra....I had one myself and it would just keep going. Oh and dont be like a mate of mine,he was in same situation as you and went and got himself a new one after going to look at a few second hand ones.I told him to get a second hand car plus an in-expensive one as he might get a tip in it etc.

But no low and behold he bought a new one and I cant remember how many times he hit something with it... :D

Goodluck

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

The Aston Martin DB 9 Volante on cbg looks good. And a geat price as well.

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_detail.asp?CBGID=305614&ID=534209&Make=Aston%20Martin&Model=DB%209%20Volante&frmFilter=All

Insurance could be a problem though.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

Ford Fiesta. Dont waste your time with Peugot,Fiat,Renault,or Citroen.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

DubTony, meet Easily_Irritate.

You two should get on well together. Now please go back to your Matchbox collections.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Doctor D-Man

Friend of Mine got one of those Mini Motorbike things. I can't see the point in them. Unless you want to be part of a circus act or something or you want to get yourself killed, why get one. Why?!? When I saw it, I thought it was a childs toy. Then he tore off down the road on it at 30mph. Strange yokes really but a damn good way of getting yourself killed if you ask me, taking them things on the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Friend of Mine got one of those Mini Motorbike things. I can't see the point in them. Unless you want to be part of a circus act or something or you want to get yourself killed, why get one. Why?!? When I saw it, I thought it was a childs toy. Then he tore off down the road on it at 30mph. Strange yokes really but a damn good way of getting yourself killed if you ask me, taking them things on the road...

So your saying mrsmagoo should'nt get a mini motorbike? is that what your saying, cos I recon thats what your saying. That is, if it is in fact that I get the jist of what your saying.

Either way, I don't think thats quite the area ahe was looking at anyway,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Definately either a Micra or else a Fiesta like this one:

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_detail.asp?CBGID=301253&ID=529864&Make=Ford&Model=Fiesta%20LX&frmFilter=All

The Micra probably can't be topped for sheer reliability, also it's possibly a bit dull to drive. I'd tend to go more for a Fiesta - nice drive, reliable, dirt cheap to fix if something does go wrong, and I'm told the 1.25 Zetec engine is an exceptionally sweet and punchy motor.

When buying, my advice would be - being somebody along the first time who is a little 'car-savvy', in other words, that they could pick up any warning signs. If they don't notice anything major, then arrange a second visit with a mechanic to do a full inspection, or else arrange for the car to be brought to the mechanics garage. Nobody genuine should have a problem with this, if they do WALK AWAY!

Ask the mechanic for cost estimates for fixing anything he lists as a problem. If the costs are anyway substantial, you can use them to negotiate a lower price.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

mad m wrote:
    Most first time buyers go for the good auld reliable Micra....I had one myself and it would just keep going. Oh and dont be like a mate of mine,he was in same situation as you and went and got himself a new one after going to look at a few second hand ones.I told him to get a second hand car plus an in-expensive one as he might get a tip in it etc.

But no low and behold he bought a new one and I cant remember how many times he hit something with it... :D

Goodluck

^^ what he said.. I bought a brand new car as my first car, as soon as i left the dealer, i drove into a shopping centre and straight into one of those pebble dashed bins. Not much damage but..... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

why not a polo ?

theyre reliable, cheap to run, and a nice drive. i picked myself up a nice 1997 polo recently for about 2.5k and it runs sweet. Go for the 5 door models. Theyre cheap for insurance too because they have a 1l engine in them. you would be amazed at the difference in price for insurance between a 1l anda 1.2l engine car, its huuge !!

as for cars to avoid, stay away from punto's and daewoo's as I have been reliably informed that they can give trouble alot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

Aye polos are nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Seat Ibiza 1.0

Great car, very robust and nicer looking than a polo, micra or feshty.

If you do get a Fiesta, make sure you get the 1.25 Zetec model. The others are pigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mrsmagoo

That was my first time visiting this Forum and I'm really impressed with the amount of replies I got :o

Thanks to all for the advice. It will definitely be taken into account. Thanks especially to Bazz26 who went to all the effort of handpicking specific cars and pasting the links for me! Mucho respec.

I will continue to frequent the board and will let you know if I have any success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Doctor D-Man

Stekelly wrote:
    So your saying mrsmagoo should'nt get a mini motorbike? is that what your saying, cos I recon thats what your saying. That is, if it is in fact that I get the jist of what your saying.

Either way, I don't think thats quite the area ahe was looking at anyway,

Heh heh, kinda funny. Seems like my post just kinda came from nowhere don't it. I was actually responding to Dubtony who provided a link to a Aston Martin DB9 Mini Motorbike. Sorry if I seemed to be going off topic there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Have you passed your test?

If not dont bother buying a car yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Heh heh, kinda funny. Seems like my post just kinda came from nowhere don't it. I was actually responding to Dubtony who provided a link to a Aston Martin DB9 Mini Motorbike. Sorry if I seemed to be going off topic there :)

and ya see, what I was doing was simply pointing out a silly mistake on cbg. Cos as we all know a DB9 looks like this and the search I did pulled it up. But I can't remember the search. But if you try Aston Martin you'll get it. It was a sort of a jokey thing. :)

Advertisement