Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hotwireing a car?

Options
  • 26-06-2005 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not asking how to hotwire a car, although I have a feeling I'm going to need to know. The question I have is that, faced with being stuck at the side of the road/ somewhere far from home or civilisation, how easy would it be to figure out how to hotwire a car? The reason I ask is that both myself and missus are down to one key on our cars, her first one snapped a year or two back (A class keys are very thin) and I only got one with my car. Both the current keys have a twist in them. She was quoted €100 for a new key from mercedes. I'm lazy and havnt check as I dont reckon I'd spend that much money for a key for a 94 accord.

So I reckon at some stage in the future I could be faced with one of the keys snapping in the door/boot (actually, now that I think of it,if it snaps in the ignitionIm assuming stick the rest of the key in will still start the car?) has anyone been faced with this situation? and if so was it easy to do, or did you just not bother?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

most modern cars have a transponder in the key, so it wont (easily) start without the key, older cars before transponders, it's usually easy if your in the car, take of the cover around the steering wheel, usually 1/2 screws hold the ignition key assembly into the actual switch bit that starts the car, anyway take it off, use a screwdriver to turn and your away no damage done.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Im going to assume my accord doesnt have a transponder, the key I do have isnt the original cos it doesnt fit the glovebox or the lock on the fuel and boot lid lever, so id imagine it has had a change of locks. The key itself looks very generic.

On the other hand I'd say the A class one probably does so it might be worth getting the 2nd key as I'd probably do more damage ripping out cables for electronically stopping th ecar being hot wired (however much fun it might be)

Might carry a pair of old air max, grotty tracksuit bottoms, a check shirt, Nike cap and stick on tash around so I can get the authentic feel if i ever have to do it :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If the spare key is expensive its probably got a transponder and nothing else will do. If the Accord doesn't need a transponder the key should only cost a couple of euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Stekelly wrote:
    I'd probably do more damage ripping out cables for electronically stopping th ecar being hot wired (however much fun it might be)

If it were that easy to circumvent it wouldnt be a theft deterrent would it?

If it were that easy to circumvent it wouldnt be a theft deterrent would it?

Nope, but thats where the fun part kicks in :D

TBH it cant be that great if knackers manage to rob them in a few seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Stekelly wrote:
    Im going to assume my accord doesnt have a transponder, the key I do have isnt the original cos it doesnt fit the glovebox or the lock on the fuel and boot lid lever, so id imagine it has had a change of locks. The key itself looks very generic.

Thats the 'valet' key as they called it I think.The idea was you could lock all your stuff away with the main key and if you were giving the car to some one you didn't fully trust(-a shady mechanic maybe!)you give them the valet key which would just open the door and start the car.

I had a 94 Accord and as far as I remember it didnt have an immobiliser/transponder key so a spare will only cost a couple of quid

Seven Worlds will Collide

Thats the 'valet' key as they called it I think.The idea was you could lock all your stuff away with the main key and if you were giving the car to some one you didn't fully trust(-a shady mechanic maybe!)you give them the valet key which would just open the door and start the car.

I had a 94 Accord and as far as I remember it didnt have an immobiliser/transponder key so a spare will only cost a couple of quid

Cool, cheers. Dont like keys with twists in them at the best of times, never mind when i dont have a spare. It's more the A class I was worried about tbh, I reckoned my car being older, i could sort somthing. The keys on the A class are just so thin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

I'd buy the key to be honest with you. If you do get stuck somewhere and hotwire your own car and then take it to a garage to get it fixed, you'll be looking at a new ignition, set of keys and the mechanic will probaly do you for a new wiring loom, charge you extra for it being a messy job and if something goes wrong and your cars electrics get toasted (shouldn't happen with the fuse's but I'm sure a capable machanic would be able to fry your electrics if so inclined) your going to have to pay whatever or scrap it.

That said if you do want to learn how to hotwire your car go and buy one of the decent maintance manuals, they usually come with electrical diagrams which would make things simple for you. I presume thats what the 'skangers' do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Could you get it cut and just carry the original key too, keeping the transponder in the original key near the new key?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭kdevitt

You don't need to cut a single wire to get it started, its unfortunately far simpler to get olders Hondas up and running than that.

Drop me a PM if you really want to know. You're better off getting a ket cut though - I don't think a 94 Accord uses a transponder, so you're looking at a fiver to get it done if thats the case.

• Advertisement

kdevitt wrote:
    You don't need to cut a single wire to get it started, its unfortunately far simpler to get olders Hondas up and running than that.

Drop me a PM if you really want to know. You're better off getting a ket cut though - I don't think a 94 Accord uses a transponder, so you're looking at a fiver to get it done if thats the case.

Yeah by the sounds ( and look ) of it theres no transponder so I'll probably just get a new key cut,

The A class on the other hand , €100 is hefty but it looks like its unavoidable, probably no chance of me getting it going if the key breaks. Maybe a passing helpfull skanger might oblige me should I end up stuck :D

Actually now that i think of it I think we got the quote for the A class key just before the euro changeover and it was £100 not €100 , so itll probably be rounded to at least €150 by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Elfish

kdevitt wrote:

Yep you don't need to damage the ignition at all to get it started. Where the trouble starts is when you've got it going but the steering lock engages when you come to the first turn in the road. Being able to hotwire it is OK but you will have to damage it to break the steering lock. And it will cost a fair bit more to fix than the few euro needed to get yourself a key cut. Get a key cut - it won't cost more than a fiver (I think normal key will do - I don't think there is a transponder in 94 model !)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I drive a 97 Accord and got a key cut a year ago. It cost me 40 quid which wasn't too bad. So even if yours has a transponder it won't cost too much !!

When I went to Honda they told me I'd need to change the locks completely !!

CHANCERS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Elfish wrote:
    Being able to hotwire it is OK but you will have to damage it to break the steering lock.

Thought of that within seconds of posting my reply!! :D

Had a Civic robbed, so had to drive for a few days with no key - but the steering lock had been broken by the little knackers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

my dad had an old talbot sunbeam a couple o years back, he bought it cheap & there was only one key which broke off in the ignition socket - he managed to bypass the ignition & rig up an old rocker switch from a washing machine as the ignition-there was a separate hidden "spark" button too!! ingeniuos system which mustve double the cars value !!
    ( about 300 quid then...)

Who'da thunk it, eh? The missus just rang to say she snapped the key on herr sisters 98 micra. Anyone any idea how much it would be to get a replacement? Also where to go, a nissan garage?

I assume they dont need a full original one to copy off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Stekelly wrote:
    Who'da thunk it, eh? The missus just rang to say she snapped the key on herr sisters 98 micra. Anyone any idea how much it would be to get a replacement? Also where to go, a nissan garage?

I assume they dont need a full original one to copy off?

If they can make a replacement without the original it is going to COST.

It always amazes me how many people don't bother keeping a spare set of keys, it's not like keys can get lost/stolen/broken easily or anything.

You can make a copy of transponder keys (at least the ones I have had) and use them with the original attached to the same keyring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

I remember hearing on a Top Gear episode a few years back that some keys can cost upwards of €1000 to replace if the master is lost partiularly on Fiats and Alfas

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

my Mitsu Mirage came with a key that includes a button for the central locking, but given that this is wired into the alarm and thus controlled by its remote anyway, can I just get a copy of the key made without the transponder part?

I rang a garage about it and they told me because it's an import it wouldn't be cheap to get a complete copy?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

they were taking the mickey, any key cutting place will do a basic key for a mirage in 5 minutes, no transponder in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

Don't know if the OP got sorted or where you're based, but I got a copy of my 97 Civic (I believe used the same key as the accord), without any transponder key or anything like that. The key I did have had an immobiliser chip in it and when I spoke to Honda then suggested I go to a locksmith in Dun Laoghaire (otherwise Honda would replace the locks and ECU!!).

Anyhow, I went to the locksmith and he has a specific transponder-copying-key-machine (don't know the word). He inserted the one key I had, ran a computer program against it, put in the new key, ran a the program again and he presto - one complete copy of a key! Cost €50.

Trying to remember the name of the locksmith..... arrragggh....

Something Brothers.....

It will come to me...

Advertisement