Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What jazz acts would you like to see in Dublin?

Options
  • 26-06-2005 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

It seems to me that Dublin isn't very high on the international jazz circuit, it's only very occasionally an exceptional jazz act comes by Dublin if they are playing in Europe. I know tons of people that regularly travel to the UK to catch a jazz act. Fair enough, smaller audience etc, but if there are troops of people dedicated enough to travel to the UK for a gig, surely there are many others who would go if they came to Dublin.

Acts I'd like to see play Dublin:

Chick Corea
    Dave Holland
    Dave Weckl
    Maceo Parker
    Herbie Hancock
    Oscar Peterson Quartet

Surely any of these acts could fill Vicar Street, possibly for more that one night, right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Alkali

Good list, Chick Corea and Dave Holland are playing at this years Jazz Cork Festival.

http://www.corkjazzfestival.com/

Mine would be.

Tribal Tech
    Frank Gambale
    David Binney
    Cab
    John Scofield

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Excellent, I didnt see either on the bill the last time I checked, can't wait! Thanks for pointing it out.

Tribal Tech and John Scofield, good calls. Not familiar with the others, must check them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Send a mail to the good folks at http://www.improvisedmusic.ie/

They bring a decent number of groups over, such as the likes of EST to Vicar Street last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Yeah I seen Elvin Jones when he was hosted by Improvised Music in Vicar Street a few years ago. I never seen a man smile so much during a gig, he was beaming from start to finish!

Is the Dublin Jazz Festival still going? Very little mention of it on the improvised music site...

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Buddhapadge

That Cork festival looks great - Chick Corea, Dave Holland and Ron Carter, all on the same bill... It's nearly worth enduring a few days in Cork for! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

jan garbarek
    eberhard weber
    terje rypdal
    wayne shorter - saw him and herbie hancock before and wayne was having a bit of a bad night of it, was at the national concert hall... anyone else there that night? was still a pretty awesome gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

jan garbarek
    eberhard weber
    terje rypdal

Amen!

Nice to hear that i'm not the only one into Terje Rypdal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Alkali

robbie1876 wrote:
    Excellent, I didnt see either on the bill the last time I checked, can't wait! Thanks for pointing it out.

Tribal Tech and John Scofield, good calls. Not familiar with the others, must check them out.

Cool np, I was surfing the net and i remembered about the Corkjazz, Chick Corea just turned up in the list, so good.

David Binney is excellent, I would recommend listening to some of his stuff, Frank gambale is great to, more rock/jazz stuf, and Cab are a cool fusion/jazz band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Skycat

I don't live in Dublin,but just for the heck of it.

5 acts would be:

Ken Vandermark (as The Vandermark 5 if they're still around)
    The Gold Sparkle Band
    John Zorn (any)
    Courtney Pine
    Chicago Underground Trio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

has paco ever played here

john mclaughlin
    chick chorea (hes doning cork this year man i cant wait)
    keith jarret
    goiong to bobby mcferrin tomorrow
    pat metheny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

jan garbarek
    eberhard weber
    terje rypdal
    wayne shorter - saw him and herbie hancock before and wayne was having a bit of a bad night of it, was at the national concert hall... anyone else there that night? was still a pretty awesome gig!

I saw Eberhard Weber and Jan Garbarek in Dun Laoghaire in the 1980s. It was a quartet gig in one of the hotels. Easily one of the best 2 or 3 gigs ever for me.

Des

Advertisement