Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Check engine light on a Honda Civic

Options
  • 26-06-2005 5:08pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a 96 Honda Civic 1.5VTi and the orange check engine light has been on for some time. I've had the car for years and it has been on and off a fair bit during that time, but for no particular reason. On my last service my mechanic sid the car was in perfect condition, nothing wrong, and that the light can be a number of things, some very small and insignificant, so unles the car doens't feel right, no need to panic. Aparantly only the dealers can switch it off, but it has to be hooked up to a special diagnostics maching which costs a fortune.

Has anyone else had this problem and know what the most likely causes of this are?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Saturnine

Could be a stored fault code or something simple like alternator brushes wearing down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 TheMasterG

Probably just a dodgy sensor, they have a tendency to go.

You can check it yourself, it's pretty easy, just follow this guide!

:cool:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cool, cheers for that link i'll check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

if it has an EOBD or OBDI/II connector a simple hand held instrument should read the codes. otherwise hte shorting method should work.

Eithe rwya I could be as simple as a faulty seal on the gas cap, or even a loose gas cap.
    Just because hte light goes out, does not mean the code has gone away, it may be stored for up to 50 "drive cycles", depending on the code.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Honda changed the management system after 92 so some of the codes above may not be valid, I recognise them from my 1990 Prelude PGMFi.

It used to be possible to read the codes from a small window on the ECU in the footwell of the passanger side but things have changed since my ride. On the older system you could sort of tell where the problem was. If the light came on straight away then it was ignition or MAP or intake sensors while the car was in open loop mode. Once normal engine temp was reached the engine would be in closed loop mode (with feedback) if the light came on then it meant (usually) the O2 sensors. Any of this familiar ??

On the old system to reset the ECU you would:

Disconnect the Battery for about 15 minutes.
    Reconnect battery
    Start car and run in idle WITHOUT TOUCHING THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL.
    After 15 minutes (or radiator fan comes on once) turn off.

After this procedure the ECU was reset.

Might help !!!

ZEN

• Advertisement
Advertisement