Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body image issues

Options
  • 25-06-2005 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My problem is with my appearance, more precisely..my stomach. Ever since i can remember i've been very conscious of it. I am a male in my mid 20's. I was overweight as a teenager and a child and have always been sensitive about it. I used to be over 96kg. My height is 5'11" so I was according to the BMI almost obese. When I was 17 i consciously decided to lose the weight through a makeshift diet. Once i lost the weight i was told by family and friends that i was too thin, although later i gained a little weight and stayed at around 81kg's.
    Four years ago while in college i began to put on the weight ever so slightly so i decided to take up excersise and go to the gym. I began to go religiously and now i'm at 78kgs. However, while i'm ok with my body as a whole, my stomach remains my biggest upset. Its not very big but i am able to grasp the fat in my fist which really disgusts me. I am very conscious of it. Especially after i've eaten and feal full. I refrain from sitting down or sitting up straight and when i do sit down i usually slouch and keep my arms over my stomach. When i buy pants i make sure there very baggy so as i can't feel my stomach in them. I constantly suck in my stomach everywhere, even when on my own. I'm doing it even as I write this. The only place i feel comfortable is lying down on my back.
    I find it very difficult to do work as it is always on my mind and it also hinders me socially. I avoid drinking alcohol because i'm afraid my stomach will get bigger or it will curb whatever progress i make in the gym. If i'm in bed and need to get up to get something i will refrain from doing so cause i don't like being topless. At the moment my parents are telling me I need to put on weight even though i can't see it.
    One thing i've noticed is that when i did lose the weight when i was 17 i could never tell from the mirror that i had lost weight. Looking back on pictures from the past though i can see that i was too thin. I'm not as light as i was back then. Sometimes when i look at my stomach it can depress me a little and i believe that a lot of the time its imposing on me enjoying myself. Recently i couldn't go surfin because i refused to put on a wet suit. Tight clothing really freaks me out and i can't stand wearing it. I don't believe im anorexic, i still eat lots of food and chocolate.
    So at the moment i believe liposuction is the only way to go but of course i'm in college and can't afford it. I've tried excercise and diet but i can't get rid of it that way but its something i really need to get rid of.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Are you happy?

Will Lipo make you happy?

Tbh the only person you have to answer to is to yourself,

if its members of the oposite sex's oponions that Bother you, Take a look around,

Not ever guy is going out with a Jolie and not every girl is going out with a pitt, are they?

I know the possion your in, i was Very Overweight and when i was 18 i started trying to lose it, It was at a point that i Needed to lose Around 8 stone, And i'm 6'3, I now have the Problum of Trying to lose the lass few stone, people say the first steps are The hardest, BulShlt if you ask me, The End is the Hardest,

you set this Targert, You start so Well, but then struggle.

Keep At the GYm, Tbh, when i started i went to the Gym and just walked...

first few weeks i was lossing 4-6 pounds a week, now its Down to 1-2 pounds a week.

Its hard, BUt a HEll of a Lot cheeper then Lipo.

If you want to chat about this in Confidance, Sign up and send me a Message, Just Click my Sig . I promise to keep your anominity

Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It's not really to do with women.....but maybe a little. I have a girlfriend and women tend to find me attractive. It's really just for me and my comfort. I reckon its got to do with the weight issues from my past. I'm reasonably happy but i reckon i could be a whole lot more without the beer belly. It seriously irritates me and consumes my thought. Thanks for the offer of a private message but im comfortable enough with the thread. I know the gym is the healthiest option, but i've been going now for over three years and maybe lost half a stone. The funny thing bout it aswell is when i got a fitness test done last year my body fat was under 12%, yet i still have this cursed flubber. :D

Good luck with your gym program.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I put on weight quite easily - at the moment i'm 14 stone which i'm not exactly pleased with. You need to get comfortable with yourself and the weight you are first - only then can you and should you work on changing it. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I'm fairly sure it's a psychological thing here but just in case, have you ever asked a gym instructor on how to tone up your stomach? if you're too embarrassed maybe the fitness board could help you.

Maybe get some free counselling in college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Even when you start loosing the fat it can take a while for your skin to reshape itself. Then it is the gring of building muscle and waiting for your skin to stop waiting for you to put the wait back on again. Yes there are skin toning and firming creams but I have yet to come across or hear about one that works.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

It sounds as if you don't need to lose any more weight - just tone up.
    If you are going to the gym, an instructor there will be able to give you exercises to do which will help tighten the excess skin around your stomach (which is only there because of all the weight you lost - skin isn't very elastic you know - needs a bit of help with getting back in shape). It might take some time though - but good things come to those who wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Good luck man with the gym nd stuff i know how hard it is to try and lose weight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

First of all DON'T go down the road of lipo. It is un-needed surgery and although not the most risky operation it is still a risk, that is only considering the worst case situation not any other possible complications.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but the bit of weight on your stomach may just be part of your natural shape. If you are really intent on changing it there is always holding in. I am like yourself in that i am happy with my weiht as a whole but wouldnb't mind loosing some of the stomach and fin that holding it in makes a huge difference aswell as standing up as straight as possible. When youslouch not only do your shoulders round but your hips curl back and give the impression of a bigger belly. Look at the difference you ill observe from tucking your hips under a slight and straightening your spine.

Advertisement