Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

License Question

Options
  • 25-06-2005 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Ok this is my second license(I lost my first one, so technically it could be my first?)

I'm allowed to drive:
    A1, M, W.

The dates on the above go from July 2002 - July 04..Which means it's out of date.

So obviously I have to renew my license, but now I want to change it too.
    I want to put on A and B also.

What's the procedure for this? Is there a specific form I can pick up at the tax office?
    I don't just want to get a renewed license, I want the A and B categories too.

Any help appreciated.

edit; I have the theory test done, and from what I remember it's the same for bike and car, so I won;t have to do it again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OK.

Technically, you can apply for a first provisional licence in classes A and B, and a second provisional licence in classes A1, M and W.
    If you do this however, you don't need the A1, since the A supercedes it. Unless you're actually planning on driving a moped, or doing test for Work vehicles, you don't need M and W.

So I'd advise applying for the first licence in cats A and B. When you pass the B test, you get a full licence in M and W automatically, and when you pass the A test, you get a full licence by default for vehicles in class A1.

You will need to call in and explain that you've already done & submitted a theory test. They may want you to get a second provisional for A and B (doesn't make sense, but that's kind of what they did to me), but you don't have to. The application form specifically states "a first provisional licence in the category".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

I suspect you may have to re-sit the theory test. The cert is only valid for two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,245 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

John R wrote:
    I suspect you may have to re-sit the theory test. The cert is only valid for two years.
    So once you apply for your first provisional within two years of passing your theory test, you're fine.

But if you let your provisional licence lapse for 5 years or more, then you have to apply as if it was your first ever provisional - in this case you'd need a new theory test and eyesight report.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement