Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trust

Options
  • 25-06-2005 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Yo , i was just wondering Is trust really and important part of friendship.
    I have this mate who , long story short didnt stick by me when he should have yet he stilll has the nerve to think we are still "best friends" . Anyway lately I have noticed that there dosnt seem to be much trust or general "likingness" among friend these days . Or is it just the freaks I happen to have gotten stuck with ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I don't see how you can have a proper friendship with someone without trust. They'd just keep screwing you over. And like they say in the song, friends are meant to be there for you.

I've a mate and her constant little white lies are really annoying me. I think our friendship might end over it. I'd rather have fewer friends I can trust, than a bunch of them who'll let you down or screw you over.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Grimes wrote:
    Or is it just the freaks I happen to have gotten stuck with ?

You don't get stuck with friends!! "you can choose your friends, but not your family".

Make new and better friends. I think you do sort of need to like your friends to be friends, don't you??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I have this mate who , long story short didnt stick by me when he should have yet he stilll has the nerve to think we are still "best friends".

Well, we can only speak in general terms because you've only given us a vague description to work with. Have you asked him why he didn't stick by you? Does he know that there is a problem? (Don't forget that best friends don't always have to agree about things either).
    Anyway lately I have noticed that there dosnt seem to be much trust or general "likingness" among friend these days . Or is it just the freaks I happen to have gotten stuck with ?

Well that's more than likely something you've experienced within your circle of friends - hard to say it's a general thing. I have friends that I trust with pretty much anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

i'd consider trust an important part of any relationship, whether it be trusting a gf/bf to stay faithful, a friend to have your back, your co workers etc.

as larianne said i don't see how you could have a proper relationship without trust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Grimes wrote:
    I have this mate who , long story short didnt stick by me when he should have yet he stilll has the nerve to think we are still "best friends" . Anyway lately I have noticed that there dosnt seem to be much trust or general "likingness" among friend these days . Or is it just the freaks I happen to have gotten stuck with ?

You need to be able to trust people... not your entire circle of acquaintances or people you hang out with, but certainly your close friends, yeah. If you can't trust your best friend, of all people, then... run, run far far away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Loyalty & honour is important in a friendship. If they do something to hurt you, or lie to you, you must question their motives of being friends with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

I think trust has its limits and its better to know how much you can trust someone as opposed to just being able to trust someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Moral of the story, somone who breaks your trust for their own gains dosnt deserve your friendship/

please read the sig rules.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You learn who you can trust the hard way, everyone has to earn other people's trust. In my own circle of friends there are about six people i'd have unconditional trust in about anything and that's because of experience with them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

To be close friends you have to trust them, other than that not all too important.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I do think that a best friend should be trustworthy - the only caveat that I would give to this is that there might have been a reason why they let you down this particular time. One of my best friends supposedly let me down but I found out the reason and we remained friends. There are fairweather friends that are OK for certain things as long as you accept that they are that and will not be there in the tough times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Cathy's right theres always some mates you just can say stuff even close mates but if you dont trust the person how can you really be best mates?

And grimes i would find your sig more intrusive than syco's

Advertisement