Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grips

Options
  • 24-06-2005 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    Anyone have any experience re-griping their clubs?
    I'm going to re-grip my clubs and have been doing some research into the costs involved. Basically people don't ever seem to re-grip their clubs despite the advantages and I'm not surprised given how expensive it is here.
    Basically it will cost an average of EUR 90.00 to 100.00 to re-grip a set of 9 irons with any sort of decent grips in any of the various pro-shops around the country. This is quite preposterous given that it is a very simple job and the grips are relatively cheap to purchase in the US. The problem however is that it costs a fortune to ship the grips from the States (any idea why?) Shipping quotes from the States have ranged from USD 35.00 to 95.00 which is insane given that the package should be relatively small and lightweight.
    Anyway I have looked into purchasing the grips from the UK but they are considerably more expensive (again anyone know why?) For instance a set of 13 Golf Pride Players Softie grips, with tape and solvent costs around EUR 37.20 in the States while the same grips without tape or solvent from the UK will cost EUR 62.40 (why the near 100% increase in price?)
    Anyway I might be able to get my hands on the grips at a moderate price but can anyone please advise where I might be able to get the two sided tape. Solvent is irrelevant as petrol or white spirits works just as well as the non-odour solvent they sell.
    Generally have many people here re-gripped their clubs and if so where did they get them done and how much did it cost them? Also does anyone have any idea why shipping from the States is ridiculous in this day and age and why the same grips can sell for near double the price in two different countries?
    Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

I have always regripped my own clubs. I got 6 dozen lampkin crossline grips shipped here from America for just over €1 each. They cost €8 in golf shops.

Fitting them is a sinch. Taking off the old ones is the hardest bit.
    Don use white spirits to put the grip on, use a can of hairspray. It works a treat and doesnt leave you stinking of white spirit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Thanks for the hairspray advise Dman. Just a few questions though if you wouldn't mind.
    1) How often would you re-grip your clubs.
    2) Where do you get the two sided tape for the grips
    3) Can you advise where you purchased the grips for an average of €1 each. Do you have a website address? The price you obtained those grips for seems very reasonable indeed and for alot cheaper than I have seen advertised to date. The prices in the States is reasonable but its the shipping that is making the grips ridiculously expensive.
    Many thanks

I regrip at least once a year, depending on wear. my wedges get regripped 2-3 times a year cos they get used more. I got the double sided masking tape in b&q. Its wide stuff so one strip does the whole grip, no need for wrapping.

As for the grips i got them on ebay.com Will check my feedback to see if i can find the seller again and let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Dman do you by any chance work in McGuirks. I tried hairpsray and it was a disaster. If you really want to get regripped pm me and i can get in touch with a close friend, who will do it for less then 100, im assuming, cause thats outragous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 xstatic

Plus Four in Phibsborough - between Doyles corner and McGowens pub. They will regrip from €4 per club depending on the grip you choose.

No, i dont work for McGuirks. What gave you that idea??

Hairspray has worked fine for me in the past......

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hehe cause some dope in McGuriks told me to drop hairspray in the grp and swirl it round then a bit on the shaft, sure it wouldnt slide on. WD 40 worked in the end. But hairspray was a very bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Doc. WD40 is not really recomended for re-griping clubs, sure the grips will slide on but the oil doesn't do any favours for the life span of the rubber. Most pro-shops seem to use white spirits but petrol is supposed to be a good substitute.

Advertisement