Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance Grants

Options
  • 24-06-2005 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

Are these figures from oasis:
    Number of Dependent Children Full Maintenance Part Maintenance (75%) Part Maintenance (50%) Part Maintenance (25%) Exempt from student service* (or registration) charge
    Less than 4 35,485 euro 37,695 euro 39,915 euro 42,130 euro 44,350 euro
    4 to 7 38,990 euro 41,430 euro 43,865 euro 46,305 euro 48,740 euro
    8 or more 42,355 euro 44,980 euro 47,625 euro 50,265 euro 52,910 euro
    Your parent(s) gross or net income?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

Gross as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Thanks for the reply,
    Also just wondering do you know if they take you (the candidates) income into account aswell? If they do, I'm probably not entitled to anything :( as I worked part time during the year, and full time during summer..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Yes they do,

You will need to send your own p21 etc in with the application forms.

From what I remember though money earned over the christmas holidays is exempt and possibley the summer holidays not 100% sure tohugh so check it out.

Its a great system if you work in college cause you have to support yourself then chances of getting the grant and minimal.

Are you sure they don't just assess your own income if you are applying as a dependent/independent mature student?
    Also do you know if you can claim tax relief on the registration charge (€750)
    I'm gonna ring the council today and find out some more anyway, Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

only if you are over 23,

If you are under 23 and supporting yourself you have no hope.

Not sure about the tax relief tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭derek27

Repli wrote:
    Are you sure they don't just assess your own income if you are applying as a dependent/independent mature student?
    Also do you know if you can claim tax relief on the registration charge (€750)
    I'm gonna ring the council today and find out some more anyway, Thanks

if you are an independent mature student (over 23), and you are living away from home and have been for at least the last 153 days... you apply based ony on your own financial detais, not your parents. as a mature student going to college for the first time you are very likely to be eligible for the top up grant... last year this was €4855, going up some this year. your course must be HETAC accredited, and you must be an undergraduate. if you do qualify, they will pay the entire registration fee for you also. its a great country we live in! :)

Found out today for anyone who is interested:
    For you (the candidate) you can earn up to €3809 exactly and it's not taken into consideration for the reckonable income that you're assessed on.. Anything you earn above €3809 in the previous tax year is added to your parents income..

This doesn't apply to mature candidates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Stephanos

Just to let you know that in many cases the income of the student is overlooked, summer earnings etc. I qualified for the full grant and my earnings were definitely higher than €10k for that year. They didn't even ask me to submit a P45 when I was called for random reassessment. P.S. info is from someone from a VEC on the QT.

It just asks me to submit my P21 on the form.. does that not contain info about how much I earned? (I haven't got it yet it's in the post)
    The woman on the phone in the Higher Education Grants department told me only the first €3809 is overlooked..
    I hope you're right though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Stephanos

Yea that would contain your entire earnings for the year. I wasn't asked to give mine.

Hope you get it!

• Advertisement

Stephanos wrote:
    Yea that would contain your entire earnings for the year. I wasn't asked to give mine.

Hope you get it!

Hopefully! I actually read something in the small print saying something like (don't have the documents to hand)
    For candidates who are NOT mature students (dependent or independent) submit your parents P45 or P60 and P21 only
    For mature (dependent or independent) students submit your parents P45 or P60 and P21 AND you (the candidates) P45/P60/P21 documents aswell
    So because I am not a mature student I am not gonna complete the section about my income

nope unfortunatley if you work they want your p21 too:( This has thrown many students that have to work all during the college term out of been eligible for a grant.

Moonbeam wrote:
    nope unfortunatley if you work they want your p21 too:( This has thrown many students that have to work all during the college term out of been eligible for a grant.

I'm not sure - it says different on the application form - I am gonna give them a ring today anyway

Advertisement