Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shanowen

• 24-06-2005 9:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

So we had a party the other night and the security guard flipped. Charming fellow. Said he was reporting us. Do they fine or what do they do? I know they use fines in other complexes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

you get a fine and an official warning i think..

why in the name of jaysus would you live in shanowen/belfry/res

the idea of moving out is freedom, which you have very little of when you live in those gaffs!

get a house! i got a 4 bed legend of a gaff forr 75 a week last year its well worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭drunkenfool

im moving there next year, thought shanowen was relivetively laid back compared to res, is it not?
    Like its alright to have people back and all of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭bullock

At least you can get laid in there.

Precisely my dear watson. Any other drawbacks in shanowen?

The smoking ban!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Is shanowen one of the off-campus Section 50 complexes? If so they shouldn't be able to fine anyone because you sign a lease not a licence?

Thats the one alright. Not sure if your right about that though.

If you sign a lease then you have rights under the Landlord and Tenants Acts 1967 – 1994 and Residential Tenancies Act 2004, so you can't be legally fined.

IMO this renting-by-licence business should be outlawed as it allows DCU (and presumably other colleges and universities) to by-pass these acts completely.

I assume Shanowen is owned by someone other than DCU and is a Section 50 complex meaning that the owner gets tax breaks for renting to students. Probably also means they're bound by the above acts which fo some reason DCU is allowed to by-pass with their licences.

Enough of that waffle talk for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Shanowen is owned by private landlords.

You do sign a lease but as far as I can remember, I think there's a thing in the lease about no overnight guests, etc.

• Advertisement

tinkerbell wrote:
    I think there's a thing in the lease about no overnight guests, etc.
    That sounds fishy too, after all it's an apartment not a hotel room. Not that they could prove it anyhow.

No i think your allowed have people back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Yea you're allowed as long as you don't make any...eh...noise... :D

General rule is no partys or excess noise after midnight, obey that and they don't give a toss! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

sorry to ressurect this, but is there no smoking in shanowen????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

Hey,
    I'm moving into Shanowen Hall this weekend also, and I hope it's non-smoking to be honest!! Id say though u can smoke no probs in ur bedroom by an open window or same with sitting rm but to be honest, most people (like me) wouldn't like the idea of someone smoking there as its a sitting room/kitchen area where there's food and people cooking etc & the thought of smoke circulating around food etc. Eeek :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Akula wrote:
    So we had a party the other night and the security guard flipped. Charming fellow. Said he was reporting us. Do they fine or what do they do? I know they use fines in other complexes.
    I was at that party! Room 44, ground floor, vive l'espana yeah?

Moved in on Friday. Nice place really although my bathroom hadn't been cleaned properly. Walls are better than Campus to so hopefully guitar and music won't bother too many people! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

Yeah I moved into Shanowen Hall yesterday. The bedrooms are so tiny I had to send a lot of my stuff back home! You can barely move in the bedroom, yet the bathroom is fairly adequate size. The light in bathroom doesn't work either. Most importantly, there's no internet access yet. I'm all hooked up to the router but there's no dsl on the line. She said it could be Wednesday by time we have access... I think that's rediculous. We're paying enough as it is for the place, and I really need internet!
    Any one actually have internet in their room yet??

Hrm, one of the lads in another apartment has it but the two guys in my place don't, duno whats going on with it.

Seems that some people have the internet in their rooms but only because the people staying during the summer had it and it was still on...the rest of us have to wait till Friday..

Oh and had a wee shindig in my gaff on Monday night, security called and gave me 5 mins to clear the place out...twas quite satisfying kicking the lead singer of The Revs out :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 nun robber

Yes you are allowed smoke.. every thing flys but all partys must finish at 12.. other wise you can do what you want. and have as many ppl over.. And yes its lanlords so no fines etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Security actually are really sound as long as your not making much noise

Advertisement