Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'll Break Yar Bleedin Face!!!!

Options
  • 24-06-2005 1:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

....well, actually I wont, I just needed a title for this thread that would stand out.

I'm looking to start a good, old fashioned and mainly fun rock band. I' really starting to get sick of listening to bands that over-think their music. I find it quite pretentious truth be told. If you are an unsigned band playing to people that never heard of you before then dont try and challenge the audience on any level because trust me, the majority find it annoying. I've seen far too many artsy fartsy stuck up bands from Trinity College fronted by some prick who thinks he's Jeff Buckley or Kurt Cobain in this fair town of ours we call Dublin.

Music should be simple and fun. If you're in a band and want a chance of "making it", you should play music that instantly engages your audience. To put it another way, if you want people who have never heard of you before to like your music, then get their feet tapping. Play simple, enjoyable music with a good beat that will make peoples' bodies move in some sort of rythmical fashion. When people go to a gig they want to ****ing enjoy themselves and I want to play music that will help people enjoy themsleves when the head into Whelans on a Saturday night.

If you agree with my sentiments then please get in touch. I play guitar myself and so I am naturally looking for a a bassist, drummer and a singer. I do also want a second guitarist to SHARE both rythym and lead with me, believe me, I'm not some uppity dickhead who wants to be Jimmy Page and insist that I play lead on everything. I'm not sure if I want the second guitar to be the singer ie a 4 piece band or not ie a 5 piece band but sure, we'll see how it pans out. I must emphasise though that this wont be MY band. It will be every member's. Music should be inclusive.

Right! Long post I know. Here are a couple of my details. My name is Éamonn, I'm 22 and I live in Leixlip. At the moment the CDs in my hi-fi are The Hives, Kings of Leon and Led Zeppelin. Other music I listen to would include Curtis Mayfield, Bob Marley, Robert Johnson, Beatles, Stone Roses, Daft Punk, Rory Gallagher, Whte Stripes to name but a few. I am open minded towards music and am open to suggestion.

You can contact me at esy@eircom.net or 086-0636119. Be aware though that if you do contact me, I'm not on the internet that much so if you send me an e-mail it could be a week or two before you get a response.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Brother A

Theres a difference between music you put a lot of thought into and pretentiousness.
    You want simple and fun, you got Westlife.
    You want music that immediately engages your audience, you got 'rock' or 'pop' or some other traditional genre.

I can think of nothing more depressing than if the above were the values that most musicians aspired to.

Would you call Mozart Pretentious for being too clever, or Beethoven for being too difficult?

Give me intelligence, give me wit, give me something to feed my soul and all that, and I will come to the gig, and I will pay for the album. And I won't be the only one either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Eamonn1983

"You want simple and fun, you got Westlife."
    You also got quite a lot of the Stones, and Zeppelin.

"You want music that immediately engages your audience, you got 'rock' "
    Exactly!

"I can think of nothing more depressing than if the above were the values that most musicians aspired to."

I cant think of nothing more inspiring. People who play music simply for the enjoyment of playing it.

"Would you call Mozart Pretentious for being too clever"
    Yes.

"Give me intelligence, give me wit, give me something to feed my soul and all that, and I will come to the gig, and I will pay for the album. And I won't be the only one either."
    Give me music that I will enjoy listening to and I will come to the gig and I wont be the only one either.

Thats fine, your musical preferences are just as valid as mine. I just couldn't let you away with saying that music ' should ' be simple and fun, when music that I personally want to hear might often aim for something else entirely.

Do you know who Jackson C. Frank is?

I'm a bass player btw :)

"Do you know who Jackson C. Frank is?"

I presume you're putting that question to me and not BrotherA. I dont know who Jackson C. Frank is, sorry.

• Advertisement

ok, sorry

So who is he then? Why do you want to know if I heard of him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Eamonn1983 wrote:
    Music should be simple and fun. If you're in a band and want a chance of "making it", you should play music that instantly engages your audience. To put it another way, if you want people who have never heard of you before to like your music, then get their feet tapping. Play simple, enjoyable music with a good beat that will make peoples' bodies move in some sort of rythmical fashion. When people go to a gig they want to ****ing enjoy themselves and I want to play music that will help people enjoy themsleves when the head into Whelans on a Saturday night.

Wow. I hate you. I don't think I could disagree more if I tried. You're basically saying art and expression should be dumbed down to the status of a happy meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Lol... Nice way to put it KENNETH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Appreciation of talent

Sepultura, might not be what your into, are a very talented band ergo very popular

• Advertisement

Wow. I hate you. I don't think I could disagree more if I tried.

I dont care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Eamonn1983 wrote:
    I dont care.

If you didn't care you wouldn't have even replied.

If you didn't care you wouldn't have even replied.

Right. So the phrase 'I dont care' is completely defunct is it because whenever somebody says it, they dont actually mean it? Mmmm, I guess you're right. I do care. So much so, I couldnt sleep last night. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Bastardisation

The point is, you say 'I don't care' in your head, and don't bother putting it on the forum. That way, you have said it, to the only person it should matter to yourself. That, of course, not withstanding that there are different levels of caring.

What you said in the initial post reeks of the want to get people to like your music. Personally, I cannot stand this. I think music is a field of exploration. I'm in an all originals band myself, and my attitude is, the opinions of those outside the band is irrelevant. If we think it's good, it is good. I look at music as art. Nothing less. And art should not be limited to the tastes of those who might listen to it. I think music should be not bout a shallow satisfaction of the listener, but rather, a deep satisfaction of the creator(s).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 POW!

lol, whenever someone says something like, "i want to write simple music" people tend to jump on the occasion to say how much they think music should be free and beautiful bla bla bla, we all love music and its depth, you dont have to say it, you know what he meant, im sure he loves music just as much as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jumpin_macflash

yea yea yea dumb music is great clever music is great can we all put our dicks away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 goz

I read this and i have to reply, i disagree with the owner of this thread that music sould be whatever he says it is "happy, and dandy" or whatever, and i agree that there should be thought and time put into music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Bastardisation

POW! wrote:
    lol, whenever someone says something like, "i want to write simple music" people tend to jump on the occasion to say how much they think music should be free and beautiful bla bla bla, we all love music and its depth, you dont have to say it, you know what he meant, im sure he loves music just as much as you.

What we disagree with is how he said music 'should' be that way. Read his post again, it's in there. I'm not going to come on here and say tht all music 'should' be heavy metal with distorted bass because I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 POW!

What we disagree with is how he said music 'should' be that way. Read his post again, it's in there. I'm not going to come on here and say tht all music 'should' be heavy metal with distorted bass because I like it.

ya i know, i was just making a general comment, this same argument seems to happen alot.

and i agree with the distorted bass lines comment by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Eamonn1983 wrote:
    I am open minded towards music and am open to suggestion.

.....open minded as long as it's very simple and not pretentious or in any way self indulgent OR OR OR OR....

Loada crap!

Do you think the Beatles music is "simple"? Modulation between keys, great voice leadings and arrangments for strings, chord progressions, melodies, and great lyrics....

What you really mean afaik is that you want to create music that doesn't sound complicated and appeals to an large audience...

Fusion
    :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 robsefton

Yes Eamonn, you are correct.There are so many gobs***es out there who cannot sing or play but simply want to engage in 'skirt shifting antics'.Really, there are only a handful of bands out there on the Dublin scene at the moment who are worth listening to, Jaded Sun and The Chakras to name two of the handful, the rest are s**te.
    I do agree with your approach that a band is about 'all the members', and that bonding the characters and musical talent of the members is vital.
    There is no room for control freaks and the 'I am the band' types.
    It's worth noting that U2 and Led Zeppelin built there success and fame on the strengths and input of all members.

Best o' luck

Drummer Rob.

I dont think anybody is disagreeing with that in the sense that a band is a collective gathering of the members inputs and ideas. In fact i think it is pretty essential that this happens. But to use your example: do you think we would still be listening to led zeppelin if Jimmy Page only decided to play G C and D in a 3/4 waltz tempo, and Robert Plant sing monotone style lyrics written about shoe laces or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 rhcp78

Hey I just noticed how this guy got ripped for stating what he wants out of a band...

I'm not saying I agree with what he's saying about the music he wants to play but everyone is entitled to their own opinions...if they weren't we wouldn't have the variety of music and excellent musicians we have today..

He's looking for a band so if you don't agree with what he's looking for don't reply...it's as simple as that I think...

Best of luck Eamonn and to the rest of you...give him a break!

eamon crossed the line when he said that music "should" be, no it shouldn't be. Again in your post you are correct to say everyone has different taste and opinions, but he chose to put his opinions on the internet, if he didnt want flack he should have Known better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭filament

You're basically saying art and expression should be dumbed down to the status of a happy meal.

you sir are a god! :D

and FYI for everyone
    music is an arrangement of sounds and silences THATS IT!!!!
    anything else you think it should be is your own little pee on worthless opinion thats about as valid as the next guys pee on meaningless little definition

eamon: since when was zepplin simple? you want a band full of vegtables fine but you don't have to show your own ignorances in the process

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 airwalk

The guy is looking to start a band not a debating team! Reply if you're interested! its hard enough to get a band started in this city ! we all have different tastes, skills etc. so lets just get on with doing what we like to do........ playing music!

Yea, but this thread is from 17 months ago!!!!!!!!!

Don't post any more in this please,
    things are seriously messed up in this forum now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭psharkey

I'd have to say that, although I can't agree with everything the Poster says, I'd have to agree with the general sentiment of the post. However, musical preference is a very personal thing and I would not like to dismiss any genre of music off-hand. Sometimes, pretentious ****ers CAN make really great music and sometimes they can just piss you off....It all depends. I've seen lots of tosspots over the years who think that they're absolutely amazing, while, in reality, they are just not up to scratch or, at best, average....But then I've seen people where huge egos and buckets of pretentious bull**** are also married with exceptional musical talent.

Like beauty, it's all in the eye, or the ear, of the beholder.

Anyway Eamon, best of luck with your project mate and I hope you enjoy it.

Advertisement