Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suzuki GN125 or Suzuki GZ125

Options
  • 23-06-2005 9:38pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anybody know these two bikes...?I am going to buy one next week.Any feedback would be most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Short answer: GN125.

Longer answer:
    Well, I had a GZ125, bro had a GN125. GN125 are used quite a bit by couriers as they're small, light and easily manoeuverable. GZ is slightly longer, so is less heavy traffic friendly. Also weighs 25% more, so acceleration is poor in comparison.
    Both are group 2 so insurance should be the same. Both are single cylinder engines producing same power, about 12BHP, IIRC.

I changed from GZ125 after 2 months: you'll need >150cc bike for A test. But now that the waiting list can be 13 months, this mightn't be such a problem.

If you get lessons with AON approved instructor, and pass the assessment, you can get cheaper insurance too. Effectively they'll remove loading for being a provisional licence holder. This is about 30%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

The GN is a great little bike. It's reliable, easy to ride & straightforward to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Dub13 wrote:
    Anybody know these two bikes...?I am going to buy one next week.Any feedback would be most welcome.
    They're basically the same bike. It's really down to whether you choose style over substance, and form over function.
    The GZ looks nicer (if that's your thing) , but the GN is more practical. Do they do the GS anymore?
    Presumably insurance cost is the reason you're not going for a 250?

causal

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Yea the guy in the shop said they were the same bike...strangely he is trying to push me towards the GN (the cheaper bike).As for not going for a 250 its not insurance costs that put me of as I have 4 years NCB...I will only be using the bike for work as I have a car and a 125 will do for going around the city,the way I see it is no need for a big bike if its just for work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Fair enough so. fwiw a 250 is considered a small bike.
    The reason I mentioned the 250 is that I know plenty of people who bought 125s only to soon regret not getting a 250 or bigger.
    Quite often what starts out as a 'commuter only' bike becomes a lot more - and the lack of power becomes quickly apparent on dual carriageways and motorways. Having said that there's no harm getting the 125 until your comfortable and then stick with it or move on.

Either way, if you haven't already my best advice is to invest proper gear & training,
    ride safe and keep the shiny side up :)
    causal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

causal,
    Thanks for the advice...I have been driving 125s (scouter) for the last 2/3 years so I am well aware of the power or lack of power.

I will let you guys know which one I get.

Thanks again.

Advertisement