Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

:: Old Cat misbehaving ::

Options
  • 23-06-2005 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi,

My cat is about 12yrs old now, she was always house trained fromthe moment we got her. even if she HAD to do something and had no way out of the house, she would head into the bathroom and poop in there.

Anyways, lately (the past 2months) shes been poo'ing in the house practically once a day !! also after she eats in the morning she vomits almost straight after.

I hope someone can help as I a bit worried bout her now. I know yer all prob thinking why havnt i brought her to the vet. Bad enuff as I am, my schedule is absolutely jammed at the mo' and plan to bring her nxt week all goin well. but until then, any clues as to whats wrong with my pussy??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

What's more important, YOUR schedule or YOUR cats health.
    Sorry to sound so alarming and I hope I'm wrong, but take her to the Vet IMMEDIATELY to have her checked out, sounds like she could be developing a kidney problem at that age, she may have to be put on a low protein diet and some drugs.
    TIME is of the essence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

amerden wrote:
    What's more important, YOUR schedule or YOUR cats health.
    Sorry to sound so alarming and I hope I'm wrong, but take her to the Vet IMMEDIATELY to have her checked out, sounds like she could be developing a kidney problem at that age, she may have to be put on a low protein diet and some drugs.
    TIME is of the essence.

I totally agree. If my kitty is sick I go straight to the vet. How would you like it if you were sick and nobody bothered bringing you to the doctor. Contact your vet immediatly and make an appointment. Most are open late and some even do house visit's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Your cat needs to see a vet to rule out any medical reasons for her behaviour.

Does she have an indoor litter tray? It's quite possible that another cat is moving in on her outdoor territory and she no longer has the confidence to be toileting outside - doesn't want to be drawing attention to herself. A litter tray will rectify this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭soph

Appreciate all your comments, and yes I know u are right, will contact vet first ting monday. I guess ive been putting off going to the vet also incase he tells me bad news - since she is so old. however, whats best for her.

Whats best for her is to see the Vet ASAP, if she has got Kidney Failure and its caught in time she can lead a near normal life once her diet and medication is sorted out, but it depends on how much of the kidney is functioning. Please let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Misbehaving?The cat is clearly unwell not the animals fault.
    As everyone has said, the cat needs to see a vet asap.
    12 isn't young but isn't ancient for a cat.
    By putting off the vet because you are afraid of what they will say only worsens the cats condition, because of the delay you could of done more damage to a problem that may of been solved if the cat was taken at the first sign that something wasn't right.
    Not giving out just saying that it's better to be safe than sorry.
    Best of luck and hope the vet can sort her out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

my old fella is about 13. Every once in a while i'll catch him squatting on the carpet, he's in fine health, i think he's just getting cantakerous with age. I've actually seen him start to go then suddenly look surprised and dash off to the tray, as if he forgot where he was for a moment then realised what he was doing at the last moment :p

I wouldn't worry too much if is was the odd accident in the house, but if she poo's in the house and is being sick immediately after eating each morning that is more serious, which makes me think that it could be kidney failure, it needs to be checked out ASAP.

Soph,
    Any update on your cat, is she still being sick and messing in the house???

Advertisement