Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wes Montgomery

Options
  • 23-06-2005 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

Anyone else in to him? I've just reciently started listening to him, but what a great palyer! I'm listening to him right now and loveing it. Just thought I'd share :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Wes is one of the most influential jazz guitarists ever and he did it all with the side of his thumb (instead of classical style with thumb and fingers or with a pick). There are several quotes/urban legends about why he did that. One was that he did not want to wake the neighbours up when practicing so he played quietly with his thumb. When asked how he played so fast and what method he used to use his fingers he said somthing like:
    I just flail around and use the nearest thing I can find. He also said he felt self conscious when he realised no one else played like that but he found it hard to change.

He invented a whole vocabulary of unique sounds and all, apparently, without being able to read music or even know the names of the chords.

I have a best of CD called Wes Montgomery's Finest Hour which is good value and covers bop standards, blues and some very sixties sounding stuff and even a Beatles (A Day in the Life; this is very dated sounding but has Ron Carter and Herbie Hancock backing and is interesting).

he de man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Yeah Wes is great alright, I've done around 8 or 9 transcriptions of his solo's. Smokin at the half note is good, as well as the Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery.

Not much more I can say really, you just need to listen to realise how good he is.

Great Hard Bop guitarist.

More into the owl bebop guitarists myself and we have one close to home....Louis Stewart - Legend!

Fusion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Yea, I love Louis Stewart. What a player. I saw him no so long ago in the Perty Kitchen in Dun Laogharie, he played an outstanding gig and it was only a fiver in. Pretty sweet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

Wes is the man, I heard Polkadots and Moonbeams and I was hooked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Yeah, i have Impressions of Paris, Incredible Jazz guitar and i've just downloaded his greatest hits, in fact i literally just finished burning it:) Only started learning some of his stuff on guitar today. It's great fun to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

in my opinion his solo(Live version) on coltranes impressions is on of the best guitar solos of all time
    everythings in there the great single lines to octaves to great chords at the end perfectly back into the head - genius

ironically he deemed himself not good enough to join coltranes band
    he believed he couldnt play fast enough

also at the end of his career he unfortunately starting playing more commercial stuff for money as he had a lot of kids

anyways still a legend

Advertisement