Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relationship counselling

Options
  • 23-06-2005 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Has anybody any experience of the various marrige and relationship counselling services and what is your opinion of them e.g. is Accord any good? Has anyone used tham and patched things up or are they only for sorting out breakdowns?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have used mrcs counselling in the last year and over all I found it helpful. I went with my partner due to trust breakdown, commitment issues and excessive arguing. We had about 8 sessions altogether and it definitely had a positive effect on my relationship.

The main problem with it is that it took about 3 months to get a regular appointment. They do an initial appointment and then you go on a waiting list until the next time there are available appointments. I suspect cases where children or domestic violence is involved get priority.

It costs about €60 a session, which isn't cheap, but I reasoned it was cheaper than going to dinner and my relationship was worth more than a few dinners.

They work on a non-judgment basis, so if for example, you are a stressed out wife who wants the husband to do more housework, they won't tell him he's bad and now has to do more. But it gives you both a chance to talk in a unique environment which should actually help you reach a solution together.

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm sure they'll all have their own emphasis and separately you will have your own emphasis.

In a lot of situations like this the initial committment is only for that session, although at that session it might be recommended to agree to a certain number of sessions and that things would then be reviewed.

If you don't like one service, try another.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thank for reading so far and your replys. I hadn't ever heard of people using these services except in the event of a complete breakdown in the relationship. All I know for certain at the moment is things are not working out and we have kids. I don't want the relationship to break down for a whole lot of reasons but we spend more time not talking than talking and things are getting worse. Some outside help is needed but I can't get any message through, it's like talking to a brick wall.

There is a trust issue which has been created out of a malicious rumour spread by a former friend. There are other issues relating to a previous relationship (not mine) which still haven't been dealt with and I can't do anything about except look on and support which isn't welcome now.

Arrggghh....... I wish I was 21 again so that I could have a fresh chance to f**k up my life in interesting ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Prevention is better than cure.

If your partner is resistant, I wonder if you can go by yourself for an initial session, then broach the subject with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Souperfreak

The husband and I are getting the marriage blessed by the church in August and we had to attend one of those marriage prep courses. I thought it would be annoyingly borning and though the woman presenting was irritating the course was very useful.

Accord is where we went and they run marriage enrichment courses. Maybe you should start with something like that since you aren't in a complete and udder breakdown. But if it has gone beyond enrichment then you should seek counselling.

They also offer counselling one on one or by couple. Check them out they were quite good.

They don't throw catholicism down your throat which is nice for a change!

If you feel that you aren't getting your point across with him then you are right to seek outside help especially where kids are involved because it will affect them the most.

• Advertisement
Advertisement