Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cones all over the road!!

• 23-06-2005 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

(Not sure where I should post this, looked through the menus but didn't see anywhere appropiate. Feel free to move it mods)

I have an annoying little problem. Some of the neighbours where I live have taken to putting traffic cones on the road to make sure nobody parks outside their house. Most of these people have drive ways and don't need to "reserve" a place on the street. We live near a major hospital and they are getting real perry about visitiors/patients at the hospital parking on the road. Personally I don't have a problem with hospital visitors parking on the road once they don't cause an obstruction. I know I wouldn't be too keen on paying the rip-off charges in the hospital car park if I was in their shows.

Anyway, apart from the cones making the place look like a dump they are also getting on my nerves. Twice already I have reversed over a cone I didn't see causing damage to my car. They leave the cones out all day & night, and at weekends when there is no need for them.

Basically I want to get rid of them and don't know who to contact. Is there a litter warden or somebody who will take them away (I'm in Dublin City Council area)? I was speaking to the guards and they said I should just take them away myself but some of these neighbours are not exactly reasonable people and if they see me taking the cones it will result in world war 3!!

So does anyone have any advice on what I can do?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I thought this was going to be about ice cream cones all over the road :(

This thread is disappointing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Take the advice offered - get rid of them yourself. Wait till about 3 - 4 in the morning, sneak out and quietly take them. They will more than likely replace them for a while but if they keep getting taken they will more than likely get fed up replacing them and give up. Make sure you keep changing the times that you take the cones at and you will be less likely to get caught.

Alternatively haave you tried talking to your neighbours about this issue ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

The Shelbourne Hotel do this for the two Council owned spaces outside their hotel. I was driving around there last Christmas looking for a spot and then I decided "that's it, I'm taking one of those"
    So I pulled up in front of the hotel and dragged the two cones off the spaces. of course, the doorman started shouting that I couldn't park there but he shut-up fairly quickly when I explained that the hotel have no right to obstuct the legal parking of cars on a publicly owned parking space.

I would have no qualms moving someone elses traffic cones because they feel they have the rights to reserve spaces. I pay my car tax therefore I can park where I like as long as it's legal and safe to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

Really, they have no right to do that.
    It is a public road, and these people pay road tax. So, assuming it is legal to park there, they are causing an obstruction on a public road. The council should send a letter to all residents on the road explaining the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Rent one of these and have fun with the cones
    unimog-3thumb.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

So long as you dont park directly outside their gate, you can park where you want, provided there is no legal issue: i.e. double yellow lines. Move the cones yourself.

Id recommend talking to your neighbours first though, explain to them that they can get any car towed if its in an illegal spot i.e. outside their entrance gate. They will get a much bigger kick outta that than cones anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Think I got it sorted, phoned the council and they said they will send an inspector out to remove them :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

get students in your area, they'll move all the cones for you free of charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I'll be drunk tonight so will probably help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,312 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Put the cones at a local "green area" for the kids to use them as goal posts. That, or superglue them to the path in front of the neighbours gates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

the_syco wrote:
    Put the cones at a local "green area" for the kids to use them as goal posts. That, or superglue them to the path in front of the neighbours gates.

Hahaha, I like your thinking!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

(Not sure where I should post this, looked through the menus but didn't see anywhere appropiate. Feel free to move it mods)

I have an annoying little problem. Some of the neighbours where I live have taken to putting traffic cones on the road to make sure nobody parks outside their house. Most of these people have drive ways and don't need to "reserve" a place on the street. We live near a major hospital and they are getting real perry about visitiors/patients at the hospital parking on the road. Personally I don't have a problem with hospital visitors parking on the road once they don't cause an obstruction. I know I wouldn't be too keen on paying the rip-off charges in the hospital car park if I was in their shows.

Anyway, apart from the cones making the place look like a dump they are also getting on my nerves. Twice already I have reversed over a cone I didn't see causing damage to my car. They leave the cones out all day & night, and at weekends when there is no need for them.

Basically I want to get rid of them and don't know who to contact. Is there a litter warden or somebody who will take them away (I'm in Dublin City Council area)? I was speaking to the guards and they said I should just take them away myself but some of these neighbours are not exactly reasonable people and if they see me taking the cones it will result in world war 3!!

Thanks.

I have a wicked idea, go out next weekend and get locked, and when you get home at about 3-4 in the morning grab all the cones and **** them through the front windows of your neighbours house, and i bet you anything they'll never leave cones out again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I was speaking to the guards and they said I should just take them away myself but some of these neighbours are not exactly reasonable people and if they see me taking the cones it will result in world war 3!!

It annoys the hell out of me too - so occasionally when coming home late I move the cones from one house to the front of a different neighbours house, whom I also dislike, sowing discord betweeen them ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

I occasionally cone outside the house - but its a croker match day and otherwise impossible to park. Doing it all the time is OTT, especially if they are not needed for an actual car.

The Corpo should collect them. When we had an abandoned car, I phone my local councillor and he got the corpo to take action, you could try that yourself......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

DrIndy wrote:
    I occasionally cone outside the house - but its a croker match day and otherwise impossible to park.

Indy you don't even drive, you malicious b*****d!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I have a wicked idea, go out next weekend and get locked, and when you get home at about 3-4 in the morning grab all the cones and **** them through the front windows of your neighbours house, and i bet you anything they'll never leave cones out again :D
    Now thats an idea. In fact I'll come over and help you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

It's been suggested already, but drunken students will sort them out. It's like there's some primevil urge deep within everyone to nick traffic cones, that only becomes unlocked when in a deeply drunk state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Indy you don't even drive, you malicious b*****d!
    I get visitors! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Attack of the CONE'S! "L-O-L"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

sprinkles wrote:
    Now thats an idea. In fact I'll come over and help you :)

I'll come as well, who's paying for the drink though, i'll throw the first cone if someone else pays for drink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I'll come as well, who's paying for the drink though, i'll throw the first cone if someone else pays for drink
    Boards beer tomorrow That should take care of it.

If that fails then burn all the cones in one night and when they see all the melted plastic in front of there houses they'll think twice about replacing them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement