Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vga planets (game starting)

Options
  • 06-07-2001 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭

I reckon this board will get the right audience for this post, so excuse the non-browser relatedness smile.gif

Right im not doing anything at the moment so I'm gonna start hosting a few games of this to give me something to do.

I've hosted god knows how many games since '93 or whenever I first got into it, but anyway I propose the following:

1) I don't like hosting with new players, please already have played this a few times, if theres enough interest I'll host a seperate newbie game.
    2) I (as the host) won't be playing, thus getting rid of about 75% of cheating from the game.
    3) I will be on the lookout for cheating (although newer host versions should have sorted this out anyway)
    4) It won't be the standard map, probably a ring shape.
    5) Cos everyones on the net nowdays, it means a much quicker game, so I'd go for one turn every night, with possibly one day off (during the week sometime, players decide)
    6) The first time host is run, I will run off 5-10 turns to give everyone money/minerals to make this a faster starting game.
    7) I think several ppl tried to start games previously on the boards (Dr_Teeth?), if they want to mail me, they can help out with hosting or host the newbie games.
    8) If your interested in playing in the experienced players game please reply here with your race choice.
    9) The experienced players game will start next week.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

What is it? Id be up for the noobies game if i had more info about how it worked/what it was smile.gif

*cough*
    daves l33t site 0wns j00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Newbies ahoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

http://www.vgaplanets.com/ or http://www.vgaplanets.com/howworks.htm have all the info you need.

But as a quick run through:

Its an 11-player game, based in a galaxy with 500 planets, you start out with a planet, a starbase and two ships, and begin exploring and expanding as quickly as possible.

Players usually start interacting with each other by about turn 10-15 (depending on your start position) and thats where things start to get interesting, alliances, backhandedness, sneak attacks, resource swapping etc... loads of fun, its also where particular race advantages and disadvantages come into play (e.g. some races have cloaking or hyperjump ships/better mining/tax rates etc.)

How it works:
    the host sends all the players their turn files.
    you unpack these and run the game.
    after completing any moves you want to do for the next turn you run a program called maketurn.
    you send the turn files to the host.
    the host updates the game and moves are done.
    repeat as above smile.gif

Its a bit of fun anyway... my preference for ppl who know what they're on about is basically because it leads to a much quicker game with less hassle (for me)... but like I said if enough ppl are interested and want to play I'll host it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Ill be crystalline in newbie game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Nice one Kali, I'm way too busy atm for a one turn per night game though, maybe some other time. smile.gif

Teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Haer

Id be up for a 'newbie' game biggrin.gif

Teeth.. a few ppl have mentioned that its a bit too frequent to me, would you go for a 2 or 3 times a week game? (with one of those days running host twice i.e 3 or 4 turns a week (speeds things up for the first few weeks)).

nice one Haer.. have a read up on it and if your still interested, post up your race preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Sure I'd give it ago if it was just a couple days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

heheh Kali ... seems no experinced players are interested ... since I've never gotten to play this in a full game before I guess I go down as a newbie too :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Raptor

I wouldn't mind giving this ago, I've been playing around w/ the dos version and have kinda got the hang of it (still a n00b tho).

• Advertisement

seems like we have about 5/6 people at the moment thats not too bad,

Only one race are taken so far, crystalline with WL there..

This leaves the following races:
    Feds, Lizards, Birdmen, Facists, Privateers, Cyborg, Evil Empire, Robots, Rebels, Colonies Of Man.

Need anyone interested to post up their preference along with their mail address..

I'll set everything up then if its everyones ready for a monday start..

man all these replies are killing me,
    as above.. if seriously interested then post up your race choice... till we get this started sometime before the new year smile.gif

I'm always interested. plus I have the time to commit being a Stud-ent here in the fine UL wink.gif ... bit scratchy until Sept ... but still can commit to 4-6 turns a week.

but Like I said never gotta to play it yet ... but I'm a fast learner :-).
    if you can see it in your heart to let me join oh mighty Kali wink.gif

drazicus@esatclear.ie

and i like the name Evil Empire :-)

[This message has been edited by Lord Khan (edited 18-07-2001).]

excellent, one more so, noted. smile.gif
    as soon as I have five ppls choices down we'll start, screw hanging around for ages like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Ah well I'll be a rebel a REBEL!!!

eamonn_20@hotmail.com

*bump* :-)

*rebump*

have a halfday tomorrow from work so will eventually start it now, pity theres not more interest smile.gif

If we only have the few ppl then I'll play and we can take two races each, more interesting that way.

bah due to **** all interest and no net access in work i couldnt be arsed with this.. sorry folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

id play if ur still gonna do it (privateers)

[This message has been edited by FunkyChicken (edited 09-08-2001).]

it's just the summer time blues Kali

wait til sept :-) all the student will be back in Uni wanting ways to waste time :-)

I might start a game ... but since I haven't a clue might not :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement