Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

picture frames from hardwood

Options
  • 23-06-2005 7:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone could give tips on the best way to make picture frames.
    I have just removed 11 harrdwood windows (fairly thick and heavy) and need new picture frames for a load of pictures I have stored in the house.

I have see before where frames were simple mitred at 45 degrees and then joined on the back with a kind of metal fastener like this WWWWW but I don't think this would work for hardwood

Funny enough some of the panes/frames are a perfect size for a particularly awkward picture we have.

On a separate issue does anyone know where to get a starter lathe and chisels (is there and point getting a lathe powered by an electric drill?)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi Goll,

Joining the pic frames really depends on the tools available. If a drill is your only power tool, then mitreing and dowelling is probably the simplest and quickest.

If you have a small router, then a slot in each face of the mitre, and insert and glue a wooden buiscet is also good.

There is no point in getting a drill, as small starter lathes are relatively cheap.
    Try and buy at least a decent roughing out gouge, and a 3/8 spindle gouge. The turning chisels for sale in low quality shops, and boot sales are rubbish, and a waste of good money. The cheaper small lathes, are good enough to have a go.

Try the tool suppliers sticky on this forum. Hopkins machinery is worth a look

kadman :)

Advertisement