Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Personalised Plate

Options
  • 23-06-2005 6:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

Yesterday I saw what must be the ultimate personalised number plate on a Mercedes

NUMERO1

I'n not sure where its from as we get a lot of foreign plates where I live in the South of France.
    The letters were red on a white background sort-of like Belgian plates but there was no country indentifier.

Has anyone seen a better plate anywhere?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I might be wrong, but I think it might be an Irish personalised plate. When I worked in Intel I used to see a Alfa Spider with the reg SPIDER in Leixlip village all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You cannot get personalised plates in Ireland to my knowledge. It was probably a UK/NI plate as these are popular there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

K-TRIC wrote:
    I might be wrong, but I think it might be an Irish personalised plate. When I worked in Intel I used to see a Alfa Spider with the reg SPIDER in Leixlip village all the time.
    Could it have been a UK reg ... something like S 91 DER ? Otherwise just somebody being a prat.

I saw a wedding convoy last weekend where the first car had licence plates with the names of the bride and groom on it ... completely illegal, of course. And as bazz26 pointed out there's no such thing as personalized plates in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Prob. a garage just got the plate done to display car on forecourt etc. They do that sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

When in england i saw one that went something like this:
    0B1 KN0B1

A.F.A.I.Remember

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

That just reads like "Number 1 KNOB" when I look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

I remember being at a funeral years ago in Donegal

The hearse reg plate went something like this

RIP 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

TOS5A on a BMW no less:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

spockety wrote:
    That just reads like "Number 1 KNOB" when I look at it

Think 'STAR WARS'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

How about a 3 series Beemer (British reg)

A 32 OBM

He had cleverly (or not) left the letters and numbers where they should be so it wasn't so obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

MR DAZ wrote:
    I remember being at a funeral years ago in Donegal

The hearse reg plate went something like this

RIP 1

RIP and VIP are both old Co. Kilkenny plates.
    Not sure of the year but definitely pre '87.

CSI 633 was a Dublin registered BMW 633 CSI when they still had 6 series in Ireland.

It used to be very common for Saab 900 owners to have FZV 900 and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

In Berlin all the BMW owners look for plates with the prefix MW , so it read's B-MW-123 etc. Looks pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

I saw P9WER on a Ferrari 355 Spider in London one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

PENI5

On a bright red Merc CLK convertible owned by a "new-rich" platinum blonde lady in her 40s. Saw it on the tele

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

I spotted LICK D1S & SUCK 17 before..

ok I didnt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

I've never been quite sure whether this was a photoshop effort. I hope not.

hummer_plate.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I've seen:

R6KET Ona Catham (sp?) I think
    M1 BNT On a Bentley
    PNO 5OUL On a TVR
    XXX 111 On a BMW X5
    K40 MCL On a McClaren GTR

Also seen a few Irish ones too, eg:

00-D-123 on a BMW M3
    00-D-6 / 00-D-645 on a BMW 6 Series
    00-D-7 / 00-D-740 on a BMW 7 Series
    00-D-6006 on a BMW M5
    00-D-9 on an Aston Martin DB9

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

00-MH-5 on an MX5, with an illegal font just on the H... seen it around Maynooth a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

VIP 1 was originally issued in Co. Kilkenny in August 1971.
    It is now one of the most expensive personalised plates in the UK (selling for c.£100,000).

Pre-1987, registrations on the Irish register could be transferred to the Uk register (usually by somebody buying the vehicle and exporting it to the UK).

It was a very clever chappie who bought the vehicle with VIP 1 on it!

Indeed there are literally hundreds of former Irish registrations now available as personalised plates in the UK.

It was because transfers of registrations was not officially allowed in Ireland that we 'lost' so many of them to the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

the plates cannot be got in ireland.
    i was looking in sunday times and a plate "F1" went for over £350,000 now thats ALOT of money.
    there areloads of rich guys in uk that get these plates and then when they sell it in a few years they can make money off itas its a supply and demand situation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

These plates

_images__02_i_04_36_99_33_1_b-1.jpg

got recalled in Washington state and similar ones did in California as well.

I'm sure Francis Wellington was very disappointed about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

bazz26 wrote:
    You cannot get personalised plates in Ireland to my knowledge. It was probably a UK/NI plate as these are popular there.

Pity, for 2 reasons,
    1; they are fun, see this book

2; They are a source of extra revenue for the DMV/GOV.

(one possible problem I see with the current ROI system is any motorfactor can make plates, so it would be open season unless that were stopped and all plates come from one source).

Anyway, in CA at least, one can put anything, so long as it is not offensive, racial, etc. amd contained in 7 characters and 1 space or 2 x1/2 spaces, i think. See here. Look under "personalized plates".

Some symbols are also allowed, like "Heart", eg, "I [heart] U"
    Foreign language words can be used, so I have seen "CORCAIG", "GUINESS", "TALLAGH" on a V12-jag, My truck was "LO YOTA" but I let it expire, now on a wall.
    Some very witty ones out there. Seen a Toy Prius with something like;
    "NOT A HMR" and another with "MOBL OHM"

Here is another cute one, and scroll down to #153 of 200.

Interestingly, the old irish plates of the "ABC ###" format were replicated here in the 50~60, so i have seen an old Mustang with "NIN ###"

I think they are great fun also handy for locating friends cars in a sea of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Yeah some of the PLATES in the UK go for crazy moeny....but arent you allowed sell them on when you get bored of them or change your car!

Mark Williams and Paul Daniels paid crazy money for theirs
    CUE 1 ............and MAGIC respectively

Anyways seen these ones before!

On a Northy Reg golf

GQLF

And on a BWM in the UK....which took me ages to cop on to!

3M 3TI8

Which is quite clever cos....if...
    you looking your rear view mirror when he comes up behind you it reads BITE ME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

MYOB wrote:
    00-MH-5 on an MX5, with an illegal font just on the H... seen it around Maynooth a lot

Yeah, it's owned by one of the guys in the MX5 Ireland club - especially nice as it's the 10th anniversary edition.

Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

You CAN have preferential plates in Ireland to the tune of something like 200 euro's. For that money you can reserve a number or sequence, BUT it will only be issued to you when the number is actually up!!!

So if you're buying a new Porsche 911 next year, you can effectively reserve the number 06 D 911, but you will have to wait until the number 911 is actually reached, which will probably be by midday of January 2nd... :D

In the early eighties, the bigger dealerships made an effort to officially or unofficially, I'm not sure, reserve batches of numbers for their new cars, so you had Mercedes SL's driving around with GZU 280, BMW 6series with AZU 635, Porsche 911's with KIK 911.

I personally owned a Saab 900 EMS from 81 for years with the registration number 900 AZL !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Preferential plates never take long to come up.....like you said 911 would proabably be up by midday on the 2nd!

Sure it would never take long to get the number up......whats the biggest car number we have now?
    The new peugoet 1007 ???........any higher?

The only way you might have to wait is....
    IF someone has already booked the ideal number for a 911......06 D 911....ppl book 06 D 1 911...or whatever.....so the possiblity of getting your car number into your reg is greater but so is the wait

'tis a pity you can't "buy" plates like in the UK.... I'd love to acquire 81-DL-12 if I ever manage to get a DeLorean. Right year, and I can make it right county, but even if the numbers not in use, won't be issued. sigh...

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

MYOB wrote:
    'tis a pity you can't "buy" plates like in the UK.... I'd love to acquire 81-DL-12 if I ever manage to get a DeLorean. Right year, and I can make it right county, but even if the numbers not in use, won't be issued. sigh...

Yeah, but even a 81 DL xxx is quite a nice plate to have on your DeLorean! It just means getting an address in Donegal to register the car in, and 'bob's you're uncle' (apart from getting a nice DoLorean to register in the first place!).

I find that a lot of people that Purchase a classic car through me are actually more inclined to go for the Year/County registration as opposed to the ZV style plate. A lot of people are proud of their new classic and want to show off the vintage, because they feel it's a bit silly nowadays with so many ZV imports on the road, to sort of pretend that their car is carrying an old style Dublin reg. Anyone out there now knows a ZV car is an imported car, so no point pretending :), however on some cars, especially the very old ones, I do feel a ZV plate is more suitable.

PaulK_CCI wrote:
    Yeah, but even a 81 DL xxx is quite a nice plate to have on your DeLorean! It just means getting an address in Donegal to register the car in, and 'bob's you're uncle' (apart from getting a nice DoLorean to register in the first place!).

I have an adress in Donegal (parents house), its the car thats the problem...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I want to get "ASSMAN" :)

Kramer gets them by accident in an episode of Seinfeld, very funny.
    Everyone's waving at him when he's driving around "Hey Assman!" :D

Advertisement