Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Me wants a Moped:-)

Options
  • 23-06-2005 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

hey all i really wanna get a moped. I'm 16 andi need one to get myself around yaknow? So ya i have to apply for my M class provisiional theroey test which is 38 euro so how do i apply for the practical test and how much does it cost? do i need to have a certain amount of hours done on a bike before i take the test or anything? im sure i can learn somewhere...

o nd i've been looking for mopeds and cant really find many what are the most popular brands i've looked up suzuki and honda but they make really long expensve ones that can hold 27 people... not really haha but seriously what brands? thanks all need help on this..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,245 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

have you got insurance quotes? (Aon, or, if you're quick before they pull out of the market, Hibernian.) Likely to cost you a good bit more than a new moped :mad:

Training with a proper qualified instructor - clickety - usually costs 30-35 euro per hour, you'll need about ten hours to be safe especially at your age... need your own bike and insurance - unless you want to go to ISM and pay through the nose for unqualified instructors...

as for licences etc - Google is your friend - no such thing as an M licence any more - you need an A1. Theory test is the same as for cars (only in Ireland, eh! :rolleyes: )

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You're going to get BONED for insurance at your age. Ninja900, I think the M category still exists? http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/categories_of_motor_vehicles_and_minimum_age_of_drivers_in_ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

steoob wrote:
    hey all i really wanna get a moped. I'm 16 andi need one to get myself around yaknow? So ya i have to apply for my M class provisiional theroey test which is 38 euro so how do i apply for the practical test and how much does it cost? do i need to have a certain amount of hours done on a bike before i take the test or anything? im sure i can learn somewhere...

o nd i've been looking for mopeds and cant really find many what are the most popular brands i've looked up suzuki and honda but they make really long expensve ones that can hold 27 people... not really haha but seriously what brands? thanks all need help on this..

I've entered some details on the Hibernian website (gotta act quick, they're leaving the market next week!) to get a ball park figure.
    2000 for TPO cover, 4500 for Fully Comp for a 50cc Peugeot in Co Dublin

You could try bike shops for a quote from AON/Axa. That's your only other alternative. Carole Nash won't quote you as you've no NCB, you're too young and engine size is too small.

Stephen wrote:
    According to MAG Ireland the Department of Transport abolished it last year or the year before. Oasis has some glaring inaccuracies in its bike information, their stuff on restricted licences is completely wrong, but they've ignored my complaints... meh.

I renewed my driving licence last year and there's not even a box for M on it.

M is assumed if you have a full A, A1 or B licence. It was a way of giving restricted (<45km/h) moped entitlement to car drivers. I don't know if it was ever possible to apply for an M provisional on its own (or, for that matter, if any moped on sale on the Irish market isn't capable of exceeding 45km/h).

If you don't have a full A, A1 or B then you need a provisional A1 to ride a moped (if you're over 18, then either A1 or A).

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

why not buy a fiat punto you cunto, its in the same category as a moped

• Advertisement

Practical wrote:
    why not buy a fiat punto you c**to, its in the same category as a moped
    You kiss your mother with that mouth?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Practical wrote:
    why not buy a fiat punto you cunto, its in the same category as a moped

while exceedingly humourous, youre still banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cheers WWM. Practical don't even bother requesting a lifting of the ban.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭madmorphy

Practical wrote:
    why not buy a fiat punto you c***o, its in the same category as a moped

Absloute madness by practical,akin to pulling the pin out of a grenade and holding on to it.Why ? :confused:

Advertisement