Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT - Windscreen

Options
  • 22-06-2005 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if a small stone chip / crack (about the size of a 1 cent coin) will fail your windscreen in the NCT?
    Anyone with experience with this problem let me know
    I heard you can get small cracks and chips fixed by some sort of injection type thing.....have a being wound up or is it possible.....anyone know how much it is to get it done? If i havent been made a fool of by my mate :D

I checked the NCT checklist and it isnt very helpful!
    8.Glass
    Mirrors
    Windscreen Wipers and Washers
    Glass
    Rear View Mirror(s)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

A lot of windscreen places can repair chips up to the size of a 2euro coin.
    But your size shouldn't fail it anyway,
    my mate had a crack about 3 inches long at the bottom of the passinger side and they failed him cause of it

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Curran wrote:
    Does anyone know if a small stone chip / crack (about the size of a 1 cent coin) will fail your windscreen in the NCT?
    Anyone with experience with this problem let me know
    I heard you can get small cracks and chips fixed by some sort of injection type thing.....have a being wound up or is it possible.....anyone know how much it is to get it done? If i havent been made a fool of by my mate :D

I think it may depend on the size and location of the chip/crack. If it is interfering with the driver's field of view i.e. centre of the windscreen, then it may fail but if it is in say the bottom corner then they might not.

Of course since they don't specify it in the checklist then it may depend on the guy who is testing it.

As for getting it repaired, I don't know who does this, some places will probably tell you that you need a new windscreen just to fleece you. Might be worth ringing some place like Autoglass or Carglass and have them look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TUTS

would a car pass that has no water resovoir .... needed the space. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

TUTS wrote:

Hmm...i think the wipers is on the checklist so maybe they check the auld washers too.........and space for what?? :D

Also........i know they check the headlight alignment......but do they check fog light alignment.....cos my bumper got a bump and the fog lights is a lil loose!

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

TUTS wrote:
    For what?:)

Extra child seating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

^^^^I was thinking something critical - like a Nitrous Oxide cannister :D
    Curran wrote:
    Also........i know they check the headlight alignment......but do they check fog light alignment.....cos my bumper got a bump and the fog lights is a lil loose!
    Of course - you could always get it fixed :p
    Anyway, they didn't check my foglights.

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cracks up to a certain size are allowed in the manual, once they don't have an effect on your view.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Curran wrote:
    If you spend a tenner they will post out the manual from the Government publications office.

Can't remember if they take into account the width of the steering wheel, but they do use the wipers to define the areas. You are allowed SMALL scratches in the central area and ones not as small outside where the wipers cover.

Cheers lads for the posts!

Its only a tiny stone chip and its about 6" left of the centre of the windscreen.....its not affecting my view as i cant even see the chip cos my dangly airfresher hangs in the line of view of it! :D

Whats the story with the fog lamps......are they checked for alignment? Cos one is loose and deffo off line!
    If they are checked.......do you think if i took the bulbs out of them or disconnected them and said i dont use them cos i know they are not in line???

Dont really wanna get it fixed cos its the clip thats broken and Ford will probably charge me for a whole new fog lamp......cowboys! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Curran wrote:
    Its only a tiny stone chip and its about 6" left of the centre of the windscreen.....its not affecting my view as i cant even see the chip cos my dangly airfresher hangs in the line of view of it! :D
    Now that deserves an insult. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Front fog lamps are not a manditory requirement on cars in this country so they may not check them. But don't quote me on this. I think the lamp alignment machine they use is only set at a level for checking main head lamps.

Victor wrote:
    Now that deserves an insult. :rolleyes:

Ahh give me a break..........my ma bought it........and it smell nice too :rolleyes:

PS...she drives the car on occasions too! :eek:

bazz26 wrote:
    Front fog lamps are not a manditory requirement on cars in this country so they may not check them. But don't quote me on this. I think the lamp alignment machine they use is only set at a level for checking main head lamps.

Cheers bazz26...........wont be going i near the fog lamps so....i know...im not quoting you on it!.....BUT if my car fails........ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If you spend a tenner they will post out the manual from the Government publications office.

Can't remember if they take into account the width of the steering wheel, but they do use the wipers to define the areas. You are allowed SMALL scratches in the central area and ones not as small outside where the wipers cover.
    The testers manual is also available to download here.
    http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/6480-0.pdf

It gives detailed info on what is and isn't acceptable as regards windscreen damage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Have you checked on your insurance to see if windscreen repair is covered? Many policies cover windscreen repair/replacement without any effect on NCB.

Advertisement