Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nct Test

Options
  • 22-06-2005 9:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

My car's NCT is to be done this month.

1. I have 1 of my front mirrors underside broken. It doest have any sharp edges. Would that be a problem?

2. The mechanic told me that the Engine number/Chasis number (i am not sure what it is) which is etched on the Front left hand side under the bonet is missing after a repair. Even though he told me that this wont be a problem for NCT, i think he was not sure abt that. Could that be a problem.

3. Do any body know abt "Crystalclean Car valeting service"
    CRYSTAL CLEAN CAR CLEANING COMPANY or is there any cheaper option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

If the car is grand, then stick €20 in the ass tray for the NCT man, just to make sure ok...lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Ass tray ? :rolleyes:

Is that an optional extra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭JOSSYJACOB

kluivert wrote:
    If the car is grand, then stick €20 in the ass tray for the NCT man, just to make sure ok...lol...

It is better to give Euro 20 rather than going for the test again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Guys try to be vaguely serious eh?

If you mean the plastic surround on the mirror is cracked/damaged, it might be an issue if the glass is not fully secure. Otherwise it might get by with a tidy up ie black tape.

Do not try to bribe the NCT with 20 euro!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Yeah, make it €40! :D

This was a joke in case anyone's humour chip is malfunctioning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Saturnine

Tape it with Gaffa tape and the NCT dont check engine/Chassis numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

And don't waste money cleaning it - they are not going to pass or fail it based on how shiny it is. Unless you barfed in the glovebox, in which case, clean it.

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You still avoiding the NCT 'ceptor?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bond-007 wrote:
    You still avoiding the NCT 'ceptor?

LOL and the tax...

when i visited the nct website i have seen that a tool kit is needed in the car. when i spoke to a friend he told me that a spanner is enough.

Is it correct? Or what should i buy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

nothing, all you need are the tools to change the spare - jack and brace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

I know a great car valeter in Dublin, Top Notch Valeting, call them on

087 2225699

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are you sure, the spare isn't a requirement so why are tools to change it necessary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

kbannon wrote:
    Are you sure, the spare isn't a requirement so why are tools to change it necessary?

true
    friends cars have been passed without spare

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

kbannon wrote:

its not required .... some cars keep the tools where they can't be seen without removing the spare tire from under the car (like mine) and I have never seen them remove the spare tire during an nct...

DO ANY ONE KNOW A GOOD CAR GARAGE IN CHAPELIZOD or BALLYFERMOT AREA? LIKE TO DO SMALL WORK LIKE FIXING THE CAR ALARM etc. FOR MY PEUGEOT 206

JOSSYJACOB wrote:
    2. The mechanic told me that the Engine number/Chasis number (i am not sure what it is) which is etched on the Front left hand side under the bonet is missing after a repair. Even though he told me that this wont be a problem for NCT, i think he was not sure abt that. Could that be a problem.
    [please only use bold for emphasis!]
    If your chassis number is missing then this could be a problem as it is checked during the test (need to ensure that the car being tested is in fact the one due for the test!).
    Why was it removed?

:(
    MY NCT test failed due to the following 2 reasons:

Side-Slip/Allignment Test
    Front Axil ^^^^ -19m/km ^^^^ Outside +14 to -14 (m/km) ^^^^ fail

Visual defects
    Fuel System(50) ^^^^ Airfilter Assembly ^^^^ Insecure

The sad fact is that i have done pre-nct test with an original peogeot dealer. Yet it failed! i dont know what these assholes are looking & testing for pre-nct

I think to take the car again to the dealer who had done the pre-nct check and grind them!!!

i have to take the car back to test within 30 days..

Any suggestions?

I think the car met with an accident from the hands of the previous owner and hence it was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ribbons

get a proper 4 wheel alignment at advanced pit stop to sort problem no 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Failed 2 weeks ago - car was under 3 month warranty from buying it so didn't bother checking it out first.

Failed on tracking on right front and loose battery(actually was an incorrect battery).

The hilarious thing is that all the bumping around highlighted a fault on the ignition cable connector(engine side where the wires had been badly taped), some of the wires came loose and the car would hardly start and when it did was hopping along the raod, yet this wasn't noticed during the test.

all 3 were corrected where I bought the car(even out a brand new battery in :D ) so back again tomorrow.

• Advertisement

TheMonster wrote:
    The hilarious thing is that all the bumping around highlighted a fault on the ignition cable connector(engine side where the wires had been badly taped), some of the wires came loose and the car would hardly start and when it did was hopping along the raod, yet this wasn't noticed during the test.
    ...and the fact that your new purchase appears to be dangerous is hilarious? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

There was more than a little sarcasm intended - I find it funny that a serious problem does not show up in the NCT - were it not for the fact that a loose battery and a tracking porblem caused it to fail I would have had a car that passed the NCT but was unable to get home in.(One of the supervisors was decent enough and patched the car up to get it back to the place I bought it)

fair nuff!

Advertisement