Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Price of new timing belt?

Options
  • 21-06-2005 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

Does anyone know how much it would be to get my timing belt changed and a new exhaust. Its a 00 focus.

Rough idea including labour????

Thanx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,870 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

depends on where u get it done but thats gonna be an expensive combo, cant see it costing less than a grand :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Baffled

Really. Thats a bit expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Not sure if this will be any good to you but....

I got my timing belt done and a service for €220 but that was down the country... some places in Dublin were looking for €220 just to get the timing belt done!!

Shop around and it will be worth it!

maybe cheaper on a focus, on my car, alfa 156 timing belt costs over 500 from an independent garage and up to 800 at a dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭samo

It does depend on the car, I know I've got them done on 2 different Hondas and the actual timing belt is only around 70-80 euro AFAIK so with labour came to about 200 ish...as for the exhaust I cant imagine that to be quite so expensive for a focus...even though Kwikfit ruined fitting an exhaust on my Vtech civic give them a call and get your price there as they are pretty cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Baffled wrote:
    Does anyone know how much it would be to get my timing belt changed and a new exhaust. Its a 00 focus.

Rough idea including labour????

Thanx
    Cyrus FFS where you going with your grand?
    For a start separate the jobs out. Go to a Qwik fit or Advance tyres type of place for the exhaust. You wouldn't buy a set of tyres from a dealer, its the same for exhausts. Couldn't see it costing much more than €200. For the timing belt any competent mechanic should be able do it. I got one done on a Punto Sporting for €150.

Well thats a bit more reasonable. How about an exhaust, how much do they cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Hey
    Mate of mine has a garage in Ringsend. DT Motors 6683158. He can quote you on the belt.( just give him all your car details)
    TBH exhaust are usually sent to quickfit etc.
    Just ring and ask for Dave ( very good prices)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

if its a ZETEC engine the timing belt needs replacing every 10 years or 100'000 miles,same as my GFs 1.25 zetec Fiesta & later mondeos(mid 98 onwards) ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

samo wrote:
    It does depend on the car, I know I've got them done on 2 different Hondas and the actual timing belt is only around 70-80 euro AFAIK .

70-80 Euro ? Maybe from main dealer.

Its more like 7-8 Euro for the belt.

For example a timing belt for a bmw 316, taken from gsfcarparts.com
    B13110--TIMING BELT--E36--316i / 318i M40 Eng. 4/91>--6/94-- EUR9.50

• Advertisement

Thanx chef but im living down the south of the country. Im gonna ring around after work and get a few prices. Will let ye know how i get on.

yellow012 wrote:
    Cyrus FFS where you going with your grand?
    For a start separate the jobs out. Go to a Qwik fit or Advance tyres type of place for the exhaust. You wouldn't buy a set of tyres from a dealer, its the same for exhausts. Couldn't see it costing much more than €200. For the timing belt any competent mechanic should be able do it. I got one done on a Punto Sporting for €150.

As i said in a later post it costs upwards of 500 on an alfa from an independent mechanic, i didnt realise was that much cheaper on others, jesus sssssssoooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

a timing belt will cost you about €30 from a main dealer,
    a timing belt kit(recommended)pulleys/tensioner etc will set you back about €125,
    a main deal will recommend you change the pulleys & tensioner with the belt itself,i would guess they would charge about €300 ish all in :mad: .
    as for the exhaust if its only the back box i would say about €120(approx)
    ive bought a kit recently for my mondeo(similar engine)thats how i know the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I've my 96 Fiesta Zetec booked in for a timing belt change next week, with a mechanic who works on his own. Dealers were quoting €350/400 - he's doing it for €180. That includes the whole kit (tensioners, etc) and 4 hours labour.

A friend did get his 156 done with an independent mechanic recently - that was €600 including variator replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

needs the water pump done though at the same time, 350-400 is a very fair price in my opinion bearing in mind if it isnt correctly tensioned or applied it will be out of timing and may snap taking the valve train out with it.

ford warantee the job, i know of one focus where the belt snapped 9 months after ford changed it on a 5 year old high mileage focus and they replaced the whole engine free......

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Chief--- wrote:
    70-80 Euro ? Maybe from main dealer.

Its more like 7-8 Euro for the belt.

For example a timing belt for a bmw 316, taken from gsfcarparts.com
    B13110--TIMING BELT--E36--316i / 318i M40 Eng. 4/91>--6/94-- EUR9.50

Anywhere I could pick one up for an Accord?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Saturnine

A timing belt is approx 28 euro from a motor factor will probably be a Gates brand.Buy a Haynes manual and fit it yourself should take you 40 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Saturnine wrote:
    A timing belt is approx 28 euro from a motor factor will probably be a Gates brand.Buy a Haynes manual and fit it yourself should take you 40 mins.

Haynes :eek: We ''main dealer'' ppl hate Haynes :p As mondeoman said €125 for a timing belt kit, But unfortunatley Ford don't do one for a focus. My suggestion would be to buy a T.BELT, Tensioner, Idler from a main dealer and get a local garage to fit. Just ask whoever you buy it from that if you don't use the tensioner etc. Can you bring it back. They shouldn't have a problem with that.

If a Fiesta Zetec takes 4 hours (and I'd believe it), I'd hate to own the Focus whose belt was changed in 40 mins. I believe its standard practice to replace the tensioners, etc at the same time - anything else is a false economy.

Dilbert75 wrote:
    If a Fiesta Zetec takes 4 hours (and I'd believe it), I'd hate to own the Focus whose belt was changed in 40 mins. I believe its standard practice to replace the tensioners, etc at the same time - anything else is a false economy.
    If it took me 4 hours to change a timing belt & tensioner on a zetec engine i would be really dissapointed with myself.

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote:
    anything else is a false economy.
    not changing the water pump is a false economy, many leak around 70-80 k miles and very few last to 120k miles, the other thing is if the bearing in the water pump disintegrates the pump will sieze making the timing belt snap. it will take 4 hours to do it.

I got a quote from a main ford dealer and its gonna cost €250.

lomb wrote:
    not changing the water pump is a false economy, many leak around 70-80 k miles and very few last to 120k miles, the other thing is if the bearing in the water pump disintegrates the pump will sieze making the timing belt snap. it will take 4 hours to do it.
    Have seen several cars go around the clock twice without changing the water pump.Does not take four hours to do.

Like I said, I got quotes from 2 Ford dealers in the South East - one said €350, the other said €400.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭coolhandluke

Got a quote for timing belt,cogs and water pump for a 01 opel astra,e300 to e350 am i being ripped off ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

For a renault ,a quote from the Dealer garage:€300 and they need my car for a full day !

My advice:don't take your play with the timing belt,it could go wrong and screw up the engine !!
    Anyway,is an expense paid every 100k kms...so how many 100s will you pay for !??

Saturnine wrote:
    Have seen several cars go around the clock twice without changing the water pump.Does not take four hours to do.

whether it takes 4 hours or not it needs doing, ive seen many cars go around the clock twice never having got a new timing belt. water pump failure is common in any case on vag group cars. many fail around 50-70k miles. the plastic impellor implodes sending debris around your cooling system blocking up the engine passageways.
    also on a 99 golf the bearing in the pump failed at 55 k miles with a deep rumble present when running. if this had been left the timing belt would have snapped. it needs doing and its time consuming, and 350 from a dealer or anyone else for that matter is not excessive, its twice that on most cars to have done.

people who talk here about price dont even know the price of parts nor have they ever changed one. by the time i had left gsf with the 2 timing belts, 4 tensioners, alternator belt, and water pump it was 185 euros for the parts alone.

lomb wrote:
    whether it takes 4 hours or not it needs doing, ive seen many cars go around the clock twice never having got a new timing belt. water pump failure is common in any case on vag group cars. many fail around 50-70k miles. the plastic impellor implodes sending debris around your cooling system blocking up the engine passageways.
    also on a 99 golf the bearing in the pump failed at 55 k miles with a deep rumble present when running. if this had been left the timing belt would have snapped. it needs doing and its time consuming, and 350 from a dealer or anyone else for that matter is not excessive, its twice that on most cars to have done.

people who talk here about price dont even know the price of parts nor have they ever changed one. by the time i had left gsf with the 2 timing belts, 4 tensioners, alternator belt, and water pump it was 185 euros for the parts alone.
    Have Been Changing timing belts since i was 15 so i have an idea what im talking about.Water pump does not need changing every time you change the timing belt.V.A.G engines are as soft as ****e anyway.

Advertisement