Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You know.....Derry should really be in the north-west region board.

Options
  • 21-06-2005 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

We're not north...we're north-west.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Nope, you're North

NW would be Sligo, Donegal etc.

Thats how those area's are marked out in our country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Yeah, I think we're all familiar with the history there. :rolleyes:

In fairness, I did go to Derry a lot more when I was living in the Northwest than when I was living in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'm basing those regions as marked out by there Health Boards, someone mentions North West, you don't automatically think oh Derry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Imho, Derry is the natural capital of the North West , particularly now as the physical border has been removed, and who really give's a damn about Health Boards ;) .

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

Paddy20 wrote:
    Imho, Derry is the natural capital of the North West , particularly now as the physical border has been removed, and who really give's a damn about Health Boards ;) .

P.

Exactly. Derry is the capital of the north-west.

How can you look at a map of Ireland and say Derry isn't in the north-west?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

How can you look at a map of Ireland and say Derry isn't in the north-west?
    Because of the line which surrounds it and the rest of what is clearly marked as Northern Ireland on most maps.

Geographically you're right though. Doesn't bother me either way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

nah never would even consider derry in north west....sligo for capital :)

Actually, I went to college in Derry at the North West Institute of Further and Higher Education, and they're like, teachers, and stuff... must know what they're on about.

Just click on:- www.donegal.ie/dcc/default.htm
    the Donegal County Council official website. They have recently posted the Donegal 2005 draft development plan, and it lists Derry City as the natural geographical and historical capital of the North West . :D

Say no more, EH!.

P.

makepovertyhistory.ie/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i thought it was the health board system thats used or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

bazH wrote:
    I'm basing those regions as marked out by there Health Boards, someone mentions North West, you don't automatically think oh Derry?

Never seen a Health Board (now executive) area marked on a O.S. map yet.

Personally I would define the North West as being Sligo, Leitrim, Donegal, Derry and Tyrone (or at least parts of it).

It all depends on whether you define it as the NW of Republic of Ireland or NW of the Island of Ireland.

All the national newspapers would refer to a football match between Finn Harps and Derry City as being a Northwest derby game (c'mon the harps)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Ressurect the boundary comission and sort it out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

to be fair, if you guys are going by the health board structure, then it is manorhamilton that is capital :)

Boundries, politics and locations aside, Derry is still one of those tricky areas, if you look at the map, the north west is still donegal and then moving east you have have derry.

nanook wrote:
    to be fair, if you guys are going by the health board structure, then it is manorhamilton that is capital :)
    but manorhamilton is in the forbidden land! ;) and its not a crappy 'city' like my precious sligo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

ahhh the long debate, is sligo a city or not.

that has been going on for ages, and in fairness i would say it would have a decent population these days.
    was there a couple of weeks ago and could not beleive the changes coming in from the ballintogher side. someone told me that the swan had gone, i had passed by it twenty minutes earlier and did not even notice that it was not there, it always had a huge impact on my life :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Gareth2303

Right...

All the people living in derry consider it to be the northwest. I consider it to be the northwest. It's the northwest of Ireland along with Donegal, Sligo and all.

There, Thats my opinion :p

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

Leaving aside the whole North/ROI thing, I don't see how it's in the northwest of Ireland...

Look at this map, and if you consider the rough centre of Ireland to be somewhere in Westmeath (make up your own mind), then Derry is hardly to the West of centre..?

Maybe I'm completely off the mark :confused:

Oh Yeah...Considering just ireland, Derry looks to be North Just...Donegal is North west and Belfast would be your north east

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ooly

I agree Sligo for Capital......who's with me?
    As i was told at Oxegen i should be a tourist rep for Sligo...... I'll turn this town around . . . . .we'll see who's the capital then.
    Muawh ha ha ha ha :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

you mean londonderry :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

BALLYBOFEY IS BEST ! :p

P.

county wrote:
    you mean londonderry :rolleyes:
    no, you mean Doire :rolleyes:

Buncrana for capital!

Forget Bunkie, Burnfoot!!!

rofl.

/me awaits calls of 'Tooban for capital!'

..hmm, maybe the tecnology just hasn't reached that far o_O

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Letterkenny for capital - we have the best pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

Gowan Goodshape m8! :O) Buncrana for capital! :O)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

Derry for capital!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I've given this an awful lot of thought and after numerous sleepless nights I think the capital of the North West should be .............................................................. (split decision) Lifford or Castlefinn

Derry for capital!!

Yep, in all honesty. DERRY has it. :D

P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

hey, just wondering what is happening in Derry in the last year or so , in relation to things happining , stuff to do and new changes ?
    i haven't been there for quite a while and would like ppl to update me plz
    thnx...

Advertisement