Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Pool / Snooker Tournament...

Options
  • 20-06-2005 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what the interest levels are for something like this... just something informal, even if we can just get 4, 6 or 8 people together to play some pool or snooker somewhere for the craic like. Maybe a few pints afterwards somewhere.

'Tis just an idea, everything from the time/place to the date is still up in the air but if there was sufficient interest then why not crack ahead with it?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

I'd be up for it....

As would I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

*nod*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Well if we wanna go with snooker then we could do it somewhere like Ned Kelly's - lovely full size tables upstairs there.

If we were gonna go for pool the only places I know with decent American Pool are the Plex in Coolock and Barcode - neither really suitable for a tourney, anyone know of any good American Pool places?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 juanbond

I would be interested... I am an american staying in Dublin for business. I'll be around until mid-late July. I brought my cue on the plane, but the airlines lost it! I believe they found it today (fingers crossed). I was thinking of stopping by Ned Kelly's tonight to check out the action. I'm a beginner at snooker, but have played lots of american 8-ball and 9-ball. Anyone want to meet up tonight for some friendly matches?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

i would be up for a game or 2. I'm not the best at snooker but i love playing it even if i'm crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Bob wrote:
    Well if we wanna go with snooker then we could do it somewhere like Ned Kelly's - lovely full size tables upstairs there.

If we were gonna go for pool the only places I know with decent American Pool are the Plex in Coolock and Barcode - neither really suitable for a tourney, anyone know of any good American Pool places?
    The Palace on Camden Street. Old nightclub upstairs is a pool hall now (with a bar!). All american tables. Strict 21s or something, might be a problem for some. 12 euro an hour. There's tournaments held there I believe. Never bother reading the posters. Tables were nice a while ago, getting a lot of use though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭digiman

The palace is a nice place for playing pool. It has a bar and plays some nice chill out music. The Edge in rathmines is supposed to be a very good place for playing pool. Tables are supposed to be of a very high standard. It has 7x4 sized tables for proper games of pool. It was done up recently and it also hosted the British Irish university competition. I would enter this competition anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Has this been organised yet? I'd be up for playing some pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Lucy@TheEdge

Lucy here from The Edge in Rathmines.

We recently re-opened our doors after a major face lift to bring you the very best in quality and comfort.
    The Edge has 10 Championship Pool Tables + 2 Snooker Tables which can also be used for 8 ball games.
    We have Competitions Weekly on Monday & Thursday Nights.
    Entry is Only 5euro and there is Minimum 50euro prize money guaranteed.
    New players always welcome :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 matthewwalsh32

Myself and mates from work would love to do a staff outing compitition with people that we work with. Is this possible??
    Lucy here from The Edge in Rathmines.

We recently re-opened our doors after a major face lift to bring you the very best in quality and comfort.
    The Edge has 10 Championship Pool Tables + 2 Snooker Tables which can also be used for 8 ball games.
    We have Competitions Weekly on Monday & Thursday Nights.
    Entry is Only 5euro and there is Minimum 50euro prize money guaranteed.
    New players always welcome :D

no problem. we do stuff like that all the time. just call into us or give us a call and we'll sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Skitbra

What time are Monday and Thursday competitions at?

Skitbra wrote:
    What time are Monday and Thursday competitions at?

8 o' clock

yep 8.00

no problem. we do stuff like that all the time. just call into us or give us a call and we'll sort it out.
    Cheers. I'll defo call you about that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

matthewwalsh32 & Lucy@TheEdge "both" given sitewide bans, do you not think duplicate can be easily sussed? Especially straight after getting an advertising warning from _raptor_. :rolleyes: (Other thread deleted BTW)

And now back on topic....
    Despatch wrote:
    Has this been organised yet? I'd be up for playing some pool.

Was wondering that myself, I'd be sure to make an appearance... :)

There seems to be enough interest, does anyone feel like organising something?

I'd be intersted as well. From the little incident with lucy and mathew I suppose the edge would not be the place to go. Can anyone suggest someplace?

Skitbra wrote:
    I'd be intersted as well. From the little incident with lucy and mathew I suppose the edge would not be the place to go. Can anyone suggest someplace?

Why not go to the Edge? Lucy and Mathew getting banned shouldn't be a reason not to go to what sounds like a good venue.

• Advertisement

Well it is a good venue. What day/time then? I'd go with tonight or Wednesday night. Or Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

Skitbra wrote:
    Well it is a good venue. What day/time then? I'd go with tonight or Wednesday night. Or Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

Sounds good to me but we would need to plan a format and get a firm idea of what the numbers are like.

I'm sorry but where is the Edge?

I only ever play in the Gala (Ballyfermot) or Q's (Clondalkin). Why play anywhere else when you have the home of the Dublin champs 10 minutes away and the home of the junior champs 20 minutes away? ;)

I'm sorry but where is the Edge?

I only ever play in the Gala (Ballyfermot) or Q's (Clondalkin). Why play anywhere else when you have the home of the Dublin champs 10 minutes away and the home of the junior champs 20 minutes away? ;)

It's in Rathmines which would make it a resonably central location for everyone to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

Count me in for a snooker. Anywhere preferably the WE due to parental priorities.

Despatch wrote:
    It's in Rathmines which would make it a resonably central location for everyone to get to.

Ok that sounds fine. Never been to rathmines actually but I'm sure I'll find my way.

On another note, do they have cues in the edge? As my cue isn't actually in the country atm. :(

Ok that sounds fine. Never been to rathmines actually but I'm sure I'll find my way.

On another note, do they have cues in the edge? As my cue isn't actually in the country atm. :(

I'm sure they have cues alright. Any suggestions on how to organise this? We would need to be clear about what rules we are playing to.

Would there be any entry fee and prize money? The tables are quite expensive. Do you think you could make an agreement with the Edge? Say something like pay €7/8 for an hours worth of lights or however it is done.
    Or else have something like everyone pays in a €5 each at the start and the loser of each game pays for the games. The prize money could then go to the people in 1st and 2nd place.
    As for rules I don't really care what they are as long as they are made clear what is allowed and not allowed. Say something like:

Shots carry at all times including the black.
    Back table is allowed.
    First deliberate foul is a warning, second is a loss of game.
    Combination shots are allowed.
    White can be placed on D after a foul.
    Nominate the pocket for the black on each shot apart from when a player has 2 shots, in which case same pocket for both shots.

These are all the ones I can think of at the min, probably forgetting a few basic ones. What do yous think?

digiman wrote:
    Would there be any entry fee and prize money? The tables are quite expensive. Do you think you could make an agreement with the Edge? Say something like pay €7/8 for an hours worth of lights or however it is done.
    Or else have something like everyone pays in a €5 each at the start and the loser of each game pays for the games. The prize money could then go to the people in 1st and 2nd place.
    As for rules I don't really care what they are as long as they are made clear what is allowed and not allowed. Say something like:

Shots carry at all times including the black.
    Back table is allowed.
    First deliberate foul is a warning, second is a loss of game.
    Combination shots are allowed.
    White can be placed on D after a foul.
    Nominate the pocket for the black on each shot apart from when a player has 2 shots, in which case same pocket for both shots.

These are all the ones I can think of at the min, probably forgetting a few basic ones. What do yous think?

There's a link to the standard 8 ball pool rules (and variations) in the sticky at the top of the forum. If we can agree on which variation we are playing then that's the rules sorted.

I'm not sure but I think I read here that it's 1.50 a game in the Edge, can anyone confirm that? If so, perhaps the loser pays option could work along with a prize fund like you described. I'll make sure to bring plenty of loose change with me ;)

• Advertisement

Didn't realise that there was a link to these. I will have a look at them and let you know which ones I prefer, and let everyone else do the same. The majority wins could be an option.

Advertisement