Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a Kitten!

Options
  • 20-06-2005 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭

Awww, yes I'm getting a little kitten, maybe two! I can't wait. Our cat who was 15 years old died last year from old age. He was a badly treated as a kitten and didn't trust people very much. It was only in the later years did he trust me to come up and pet him etc.

Obviously not being trusted by him was due to his early days but when I get this kitten is there any particular way to help bond with it. I love animals and am always kind to them. I think with my last cat it was because of the cruelty before but are there any tips on bonding with your animals. Obviously I don't want to smother the poor thing when I get him/her!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Here's a list of rescues..they're are TONS of kittens..mixed and pure bred in rescue http://www.irishanimals.ie/cats/index.html

Kitten adoption are great for advice on cat/kitten behaviour :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭karlin

Hi Guineapigrescue! *waves*

I also have three kittens in Dublin looking for homes, preferably indoor homes or alternatively, well away from major roads.

You can see them here: http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=24290

PM me for further information if interested! All vet checked and have first vax, are box-trained, and wormed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Be sure not to yell at it or subject it to sudden loud noises n stuff.
    As with people, they all have their own temprament so you can never be sure what it'll turn out like.
    But as long as they feel safe & secure they should be fine.

I'm so jealous!
    I want one!
    I want to teach it to use a sling-shot & beat up dogs n stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

I'd recommend getting the two, they'll be great company for each other when your not there and two are really no more work than one, infact probably less !

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

Get a puppy.:) Cats are awful pets tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

Kare Bear wrote:

No they're not.

What makes you say that?

My 2 cats are lovely......just as affectionate towards me as the dog.

Two are definitely easier than one alone -- also far less lonely for kittens in particular and also the adult cat. Two kittens burn off a lot of their energy playing together for example -- better for mental and physical health over the life of the cat. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Kare Bear wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2937760.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Rantorama

Kare Bear wrote:

Cats make great pets their clean, easy to manage (give them a cat flap and a bit of food and they look after themselves) and once they have bonded with their owner are very affectionate.

BTW Karlin I would have loved to take one of the gorgeous kittens from you, but we adopted 2 strays last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

karlin wrote:
    Two are definitely easier than one alone -- also far less lonely for kittens in particular and also the adult cat. Two kittens burn off a lot of their energy playing together for example -- better for mental and physical health over the life of the cat. :)

We are actually getting two, I found out!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

karlin wrote:
    21436847_adbbb24fa8.jpg
    AHHHHHHHH /melts into a puddle :D
    They are SOOOO cute :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I got 2 kittens (m & f) through boards.ie a couple of months ago and they have brought nothing but happiness to myself and my girlfriend. Looking after such cute helpless animals is really rewarding. And when they grow up they pay for themselves by keeping vermin and bloody birds out of my garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Nothing wrong with birds!, I don`t mind my cat killing mice or rats(which she never does) but I don`t like her killing birds esp songbirds!.
    A lot of birds and animals like hedgehogs eat insects so they are helping your garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Nothing wrong with birds!, I don`t mind my cat killing mice or rats(which she never does) but I don`t like her killing birds esp songbirds!.
    A lot of birds and animals like hedgehogs eat insects so they are helping your garden.
    He's just expressing the cat owners axiom:

"Whatever my cat did/is doing IT'S NOT WRONG".

He's just expressing the cat owners axiom:

"Whatever my cat did/is doing IT'S NOT WRONG".

Don`t I know it!, esp from dog owners

[/I]excuse me are you the owner?, owner looks perplexed, its just that your dog has attached itself to my bag and is not letting go, owner answers with "oh hes just playing"

Yeh right the little bugger damaged my bag and was not playing but aggressive!.

I like the pissed off looking black kitten in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

I'm so jealous! *sniffle* :(

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

Them kittens should be drowned.:p

Kare Bear wrote:

Awwwwww,a real animal lover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Kare Bear wrote:

Trust a cork man to hate cats......

Cats can be very cruel, espically young cats. They will catch a bird and play with it. When they get bored with the poor bird, they will just walk away leaving the poor creature barley alive and bleeding to death.

Anyway dogs are friendly and loyal, cats are pure killing machines but still make good pets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭phelo05

drown the bastards and string em up by the tail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

phelo05 wrote:
    drown the bastards and string em up by the tail

Are you really trying to get banned permanently from the entire site ?? Because you really started the day off on the right foot if you are..

It's not that cats themselves that are cruel, it's that nature is cruel.
    There are some birds that will murder the baby chicks of other birds while they are still in their nests.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I have 9 delightful cats. It is easier to feed cattle than them! 3 kittens (all have homes waiting) Their mother, her brother and sister. The mother of all of them a magnificent fuzzball. And then a rather old tabby and her daughter.

Faction fighting has started as the mother and daughter are of a different clan to the other ones. Oh the hilarity.

As someone helping out some of the cat welfare groups; hope you are thinking about having the mum spayed if she hasn't been yet... :) . There are always far more kittens (and puppies) than will ever have homes to go to and every little bit helps (and extends the life of your own cat -- as they are less likely to be exposed to feline leukemia/AIDS through bites and mating; because the females are not under assault by males when in heat; lower risk of mammary tumours; and bearing kittens itself always carries a risk of death to the mother)!

As for cats being 'cruel' -- well yes, nature is cruel... animal instincts may not always please us but morality doesn't really enter into it (and you can always keep cats as all-indoor pets -- which also gives a much longer life -- which means another songbird need never die at the claws of your own moggy...:) ). On the other hand, I can tell you from working in animal welfare, the things people do to cats and kittens, puppies and dogs qualifies as about the highest levels of cruelty you can get and can be truly nauseating. Depressingly, a lot of this done by children as well. For just a small example, see:

http://www.limerickanimalwelfare.com/law/crueltycases.htm

Advertisement