Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alias

Options
  • 20-06-2005 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

I love 'Alias', but it's changed this season...things I miss about 'Alias'

1) Lack of a evil character...or maybe that's just me missing Sloane being evil.
    2) No more cliffhangers...every episode seems self-contained now, very few story threads
    3) No more double/treble agents...I miss guessing who's double crossing who..
    4) Sydney's mom...she was always the shadow over the whole show
    5) Lack of guest stars...remember Tarantino, Ethan Hawke, Christian Slater...

Coups...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

coupland wrote:
    3) No more double/treble agents...I miss guessing who's double crossing who..

True, I'd like to add though that Sloane IS evil!
    coupland wrote:
    5) Lack of guest stars...remember Tarantino, Ethan Hawke, Christian Slater...

I miss them too.

I also think the relationship between Sydney and Vaughn is just getting old and boring now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Keep watching then. You may be very pleasantly surprised soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

I just bought season 1 and 2 on DVD from Choicesdirect for £17.99 each. Am only 6 eps into the 1st season and am already hooked.

I hear season 3 is a bit of a let down - I'll probably buy it anyway.

Oh - and unfortunately I've accidently read the cliffhanger for season 4 a couple of months ago. Trying to block it out of mind damnit!!

How did you accidently read it?

• Advertisement

As far as I remember it was the eonline watch with kristin column - obviously talking about all the latest eps shown in the US.
    Okay it wasn't exactly an accident but at the time I wasn't planning on getting into the show.
    However I'm sure there's a lot more to it than what I read and there'll be plenty of other big twists in between that I won't be expecting. And in the end I'll have the 5th and final season to look forward to in Sept.

Oh.. and when I said a couple of months I meant weeks. It seems like months since all my fave US shows ended for the season.

Right so, I'm annoyingly addicted to reading spoilers anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

Season 5 hasn't been confirmed as being the last though they are going to treat it as though it is. As for Season 4, towards the end it just becomes vintage Alias stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I just started watching the first season over the weekend and I'm completely hooked. I'm now up to episode 9 of season 2. Haven't read anything about season 4, but now I know Sidney's mother is going to be leaving it at some point :( Ah well, I kind of guessed that anyway. At least I don't know what happens to her yet anyway so it'll be a mystery getting there.

As for Vaughn and Sydny's relationship, that's already getting stale from my perspective, though I have just seen 30 episodes in 5 days so that could be it.

Anyone know what season is shouwing on Five right now? Is this the 3rd or 4th? I'll have no way of watching the 4th season when I finish the first 3 as it's already in progress on SciFi, unless they repeat it of course.

jor el wrote:
    though I have just seen 30 episodes in 5 days

Real healthy dose of tv there.

• Advertisement

Yeah, bit of Alias overload eh? Almost every episode ends on a cliffhanger, and when the next episode is just sitting there it's hard to stop. I had to though on Friday and Saturday night as it was after 3AM and my eyes wouldn't stay open. I'm down to 3 or 4 episodes a night now though (well, last night anyway).

I have my first AA (Alias Anonymous) meeting tomorrow so I hope I can get off this sheeet soon ;)

jor el wrote:
    Almost every episode ends on a cliffhanger, and when the next episode is just sitting there it's hard to stop.

Yeah true, fair enough. We're all Alias addicts really.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭coupland

I went on an Alias binge at the weekend and watched ALL remaining episodes in the current season.......things definitely pick up and we get the usual season end cliffhanger

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

What did yis think of the Series Finale on Sunday? Excellent episode and the ending was class, cruel but amazing! How long have we to wait now to find out what happens?

Well it starts in the States on ABC on the 29th of Sept. As for here, who knows?

I thought it was a class ending, such a thing to drop right at the end like that!

As for next season, rumers abound that
    Vaughn
    will be killed off. Lots of people not happy with that, I won't mind because it's been getting really annoying since about season 3 now.
    How many times did they fvck up the mission because they were too busy smooching or staring at each other? Too many. I just want to see who he really is if he's not really Vaughn.

Also, I believe Jennifer Garner is pregnant and they are writing this into the story, but it'll mean no more ass kicking for a while from her while she's up the duff. Alias is changing, hopefully not for the worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Season 4 is great.

I thought season3 went downhill a bit, but they've brought it back. It seems to happen with long running series, there's alway one crappy season, while the writers sort themselves out no doubt.

John

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

jor el wrote:
    Well it starts in the States on ABC on the 29th of Sept. As for here, who knows?

I thought it was a class ending, such a thing to drop right at the end like that!

As for next season, rumers abound that
    Vaughn
    will be killed off. Lots of people not happy with that, I won't mind because it's been getting really annoying since about season 3 now.
    How many times did they fvck up the mission because they were too busy smooching or staring at each other? Too many. I just want to see who he really is if he's not really Vaughn.

Also, I believe Jennifer Garner is pregnant and they are writing this into the story, but it'll mean no more ass kicking for a while from her while she's up the duff. Alias is changing, hopefully not for the worse.
    If he's not really Vaughn they why was his father a Vaughn? Maybe that wasn't his dad at all but if that's the case why would be be visiting his Uncle and looking for his father?
    A lot of questions to be answered. The 1 thing that annoyed me most about series 4 though was
    the documents that Syd saw at the end of Series 3. They mentioned a Project and her name and that Jack was the project manager etc etc. None of this was explained and they just said the docs were about Jack killing Irena.
    Wonder will any of that crop up again. I really like the way they have developed Jacks character. We saw a more human side to him this series and he even tried a bit of humour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Ye it was a really good finale...at first I thought they might have been going a bit too far with the zombie thing,but it worked out really well,and the whole red ball thing made the city look really eery...sloane shooting nadia as well was good,but I liked her character...looks like she will be in limbo for a while,like Faith in Buffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Have to say, I've been a huge Alias fan during S1-3, but S4 for me was quite poor. There was only about 3-4 truly great episodes (2 of which came @ the very end - "The Descent" and "Search and Rescue"). I thought that they'd finally gotten back on track and the finale would be great too, but I didn't think it was very good really.

The zombie city looked great, but I felt it was under-used, and Elena was defeated waaay too easily imo. She just kinda gave up when they caught her. Nadia going overground after being attacked in the subway tunnel instead of going down to where she knew the others were didn't make much sense (could've at least shown her going up to the street to escape other zombie ppl), -- it just meant she could get caught, and force the confrontation with Syd. The "confrontation" between the Chosen One and the Passenger was pretty damn poor after all the seasons of build-up -- that was Sydney's great mission and challenge? And instead of overcoming it herself, it came down to Sloane shooting Nadia? Everything about defeating Elena and stopping the Rambaldi orb felt rushed, which would've been ok if what followed somehow demanded more attention.

What we got was a cringy scene with Irina "You won't see me at your wedding but I'll see you" blewgh, it was awful. Then a non-existent extraction and flash-forward to Santa Barbara (at this stage I was desperately hoping it was a dream sequence and Syd had been shot by Sloane on the roof instead, and the missile strike was coming down on them, but sadly not).
    Putting them in a car instantly made me think crash, while nicely done wasn't exactly a thrilling cliffhanger, and as for Mr Not-Vaughn... I can wait forever to hear his deal :rolleyes:

So he lied about his name/past all this time, married Lauren and left the CIA in the 2 years Syd was gone, hunted for his dead father (also a Vaughn) -- all part of a master plan or a hasty retroactive re-write of his character? It remains to be seen how it'll work I guess, but it doesn't fill me with confidence for the new season, with the same executive producers still in charge and Garner's pregnancy being written into the show. I don't mind the idea of bringing in a new girl to go on missions instead, but the pregnancy being part of the storyline worries me. I could care less about Weiss' exit really, he's so minor I'd notice Director Chase suddenly disappearing more.
    ]
    The 1 thing that annoyed me most about series 4 though was spoiler: the documents that Syd saw at the end of Series 3. They mentioned a Project and her name and that Jack was the project manager etc etc

I don't think they're ever going to come back and explain that. It was one of the things just dropped altogether to make way for the more standalone S4. It is REALLY annoying to not at least acknowledge that they showed the audience the files and clearly they had nothing to do with Irina.

All in all, hopefully S5 will be better than S4, I need it to be :)

It's funny the whole split of people who didn't like S3, but liked S4 and the other side of people who liked S3 and were disappointed with S4.

TCamen wrote:
    I don't think they're ever going to come back and explain that. It was one of the things just dropped altogether to make way for the more standalone S4. It is REALLY annoying to not at least acknowledge that they showed the audience the files and clearly they had nothing to do with Irina.
    That's one bit I hete too. Didn't those documents mention the room number that Sydney saw in her flashbacks indicating that Jack knew where she was and what was happening to more of degree than he was letting on? Then all they explain is the bit about Jack ordering the hit on Irina. I'd like to see this come back into the story and add a bit of explanation.
    It's funny the whole split of people who didn't like S3, but liked S4 and the other side of people who liked S3 and were disappointed with S4.
    I liked season 3 and 4, but I prefered 3. I'm easily pleased :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement