Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Open

Options
  • 20-06-2005 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Congrats to Michael Campell on winning the US Open but to win a major tournament on level par, that doesint exactly reflect well on the course. The US Open might be the ultimate test in golf but its not exactly fair to the players is it? When you see a pro doing a chip and run on the green and then seen the ball slowly roll back to him, might make you giggle but its not proper golf.
    Feel sorry for Retief Goosen, cant wait to see what his caddy Colin Byrne will write in his column in tuesday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

I dunno i think its good that players arn't coming out with scores like -8 and above. I think its better for the players and its giving them a good challenge. We don't want them to have it too easy, and its better for everyone.
    Well done to Michael. He deserved it, didn't bottle under the pressure!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

So here's the thing

1. The R&A are coming out with rules concerning the equipment and golf balls

2. The major courses are getting longer

3. The greens on these courses are faster than ever

Does this seem anyway fair for the players. I would not suprise me to see the scores of these players get very high in the coming tournaments.

I believe that the rules must stop to help the people enjoy the game and the R&A and USGA must realise that golf has progressed from the old traditional way

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Wigertoods

It seems unfair to me that professional players need to rely
    more on luck than skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I thought it was ridiculousy tough. Yes they are professionals but it was totally unfair and didnt reflect on good shots. I think they should scrap pinehurst and the "usopen" courses and find something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Two things the need to be pointed out!.....my response its neutral!

1. The winning score might have seemed like a farce.....but what does the score matter......all the players had to deal with the same conditions.....so even if the winner had been 10 over par he still deserves to win cos he played best!

2. Yeah the course was a farce.....can you imagine the score an ordinary Joe Soap like myself playing the course......id be still out there finishing my first round :D

They've gotta find an even balance!
    Making the courses longer (tees much further back) in competions but not making the greens impossible!
    So they are still shooting low scores.....not like 18 under!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement