Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jackson Flying V KV2

Options
  • 19-06-2005 9:00pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just got this guitar today, fulfilling a dream of owning a deadly flying V:

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/gear.php?op=3&partno=KV2_King_V

Colour: "Burnt Cherry Sun Burst".

Anyone else got one? Very low action, complete with Floyd Rose lock mechanism. 2 Humbuckers. 24 frets.

Plays like a dream. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

How does a JB sound in the neck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Ooooooooooh very tasty. Congratualtions, that is beautiful.

You do know the mods around here band you if you don't get the oul pics up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

That is such a beautiful guitar. I know a guy in the states who owns 5 of them.
    Id love to own one, but with the price they are it wont be any time soon!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Don't like the look of it but it has a damn fine spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Congratulations. Very cool axe. I always liked flying V type guitars.

I'd like to see some photos too.

May we ask - Where did you get it and how much - ?

• Advertisement

feylya wrote:
    Don't like the look of it but it has a damn fine spec.
    from seeing pics of it i preferred the RR V to it, but then one day in Musicmaker I saw the KVX10 and in real life it looks much cooler!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I just don't like most V's. The RR being possibly the only exception.

Fair do's, each to his own and all that
    you're wrong though......

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Yeah its one cool guitar ;) Bought it yesterday in London on Denmark street. Traded in my old Yamaha Pacifica for it and paid 1500 GBP on top also. He took 100 GBP off the price for the Yamaha trade it, which is pretty good since I bought that Yamaha for 200 Irish Punts 7 years ago.

MasterofSolos: What do you mean about a JB in the neck? What is a JB?

I had a choice of Jackson KV2 or the RR... and personally the KV2 had a better sound and feel for the few minutes I was playing around with them. Also, the RR was a bit damaged at the edges were someone had tapped it off the walls or ground in the shop. RR was cheaper too and didn't come with a hard case.

In case any of you are really interested in seeing it up close or jamming, I have it with me today in Dublin. Told the flight people to be very careful when checking it in this morning.

Cannot wait to shred some frets tonight! :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Slurms wrote:
    I know a guy in the states who owns 5 of them.
    It isn't Dave Mustaine by any chance? I know he was selling off all his Jackson recently.

This KV2 is pretty similar to the ones he plays, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Advertisement

How does a JB sound in the neck?

Didn't realise you meant the Humbucker in the neck. It sounds fine from what I heard in the shop. I've been playing it unplugged since I got it... standing in front of the mirror and pulling some wicked poses. Oopps... I didn't just type that did I... ehhhh.

Didn't realise how hard flying V's were to play sitting down. Originally on Saturday I played it sitting down in the shop... went back yesterday and demanded a strap to know exactly what it feels like standing.

BossArky wrote:
    It isn't Dave Mustaine by any chance? I know he was selling off all his Jackson recently.

This KV2 is pretty similar to the ones he plays, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Mustaine used to play KV2's then Jackson made him a custom guitar the Y2KV. Then Jackson got bought by Fender and Mustaine left, hes with ESP now.

Now lets see some pics!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

BossArky wrote:
    Didn't realise you meant the Humbucker in the neck. It sounds fine from what I heard in the shop. I've been playing it unplugged since I got it... standing in front of the mirror and pulling some wicked poses. Oopps... I didn't just type that did I... ehhhh.

Didn't realise how hard flying V's were to play sitting down. Originally on Saturday I played it sitting down in the shop... went back yesterday and demanded a strap to know exactly what it feels like standing.

You'll get used to playing it sitting down :) If you rest the centre of the two fins between your right leg, you'll be fine.

I had to sit back on the bed and hook the lower part of the V under my right knee. Will get used to it I suppose. Playing it with my right leg in the middle of the V seems kinda classical style.

Cannot send photos from this phone. When I get back to London at the weekend I'll post up some then. Trust me, it looks cool :p

Here are some photos of the exact one I got, colour is actually Tobacco Sunburst, not Burnt Cherry as I originally said.

Sex in guitar form!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Slurms wrote:
    Sex in guitar form!!
    I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Aye, nice guitar, I have a black rx10d, and its pretty sweet, you will get used to playing it after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I approve.

Nice guitar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

BossArky wrote:
    I had to sit back on the bed and hook the lower part of the V under my right knee. Will get used to it I suppose. Playing it with my right leg in the middle of the V seems kinda classical style.

That's how I play my V too. you get used to it but you might find you rest standard shaped guitars on your left leg after you get used to it.

You got yourself a sweet guitar anyway, happy playing.

• Advertisement

Last night I brought the V for its first jam with a colleague and his friend in Santry. The friend was an incredible guitarist, managed to get a few hints and tips off of him. Not to sound too modest, but usually when I jam with people I seem to be a good bit better... but this guy was Kirk Hammett, or something similar. He had a heap of deadly guitars too... ESP, Les Paul, Washburn, Strat. It was good to play with someone like that ... makes me want to practice more so not to be humbled again ;)

Do you find that after a while you reach a plateau in your playing? I.e. you learn new things like mad for the first few years... and then once you get to a certain level you can impress people and have other things to think about.... so you stop learning. I need to get over this hurdle. The guy from above recommended learning every note on the fretboard... he could pick them all out instantly. Handy for solo-ing over odd progressions.

Oh and the new V sounds deadly through an amp, had been playing unplugged for the past days since I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

That's a nice axe, man.
    One nice day i hope to get one as well. I've always been a fan of King V's, just something about them that i cant resist.

I even have a few King V pics in my "my pictures" folder on my PC, and the missus thinks i'm just pathetic :D (she's probably right). At the moment, that's as close as i'm gonna get to a V.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Very nice. Prefer the Rhoads myself, but very nice indeed.

Very nice. Prefer the Rhoads myself, but very nice indeed.

Something about the Rhoads didn't feel right when I tried it out... plus the fact that there was no hard case. Wouldn't want to be carrying something like that about in a soft case.

Advertisement