Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car cutting out

Options
  • 19-06-2005 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭

in the last few days I've discovered that when my car in sitting idle in traffic it sometimes cuts out on me, does anyone have any ideas of what the cause of it is, I was thinking of getting the car serviced but I always very suspicious of garages ripping me off.

I'm driving a 00 reg toyota corrolla 1.4vvti :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

in the last few days I've discovered that when my car in sitting idle in traffic it sometimes cuts out on me, does anyone have any ideas of what the cause of it is, I was thinking of getting the car serviced but I always very suspicious of garages ripping me off.

I'm driving a 00 reg toyota corrolla 1.4vvti :confused:

Not sure what your problem is but service could be a good thing anyway. Go to a Toyota garage. It's not in their interest to rip you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Mick Jockson

Is that so, is that so

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

is_that_so wrote:
    Not sure what your problem is but service could be a good thing anyway. Go to a Toyota garage. It's not in their interest to rip you off.

For that matter its not in any company's interest to rip anyone off, they still do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Try getting your throttle cleaned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

any other events occuring with the car?. eg, any missing, difficult/slow to start when cold, or hot only, ideling very low or oscillating, etc.

when was it tuned last, plucs, points, rotor n cap, O2 sensor, what mileage on it?. or is it distributor less?.

Does it restart immediately or take time to restart, etc.

at this stage it could be anything, or a loose wire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

the rev will oscillate every so often but it as always done that when it is about to switch off the car wil shake a little,like it wasn't getting enough juice... starts first time every time with no problems, it's got 50k on the clock & it was last serviced at 30k, it restarts immediately which is grand, granted...I've done 400 miles in the last two days & the car would normally do very little milage I've only clocked up 20k in 3.5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bring it to an independant mechanic for a check and service.

I would recommend that you get the car serviced at least once a year if you are doing such low mileage. Not having it serviced in 3.5 years maybe an indication of your problem. The oil, oil filter, air filter and sparke plugs more than likely need to be changed anyway.

Irrespective of the miles you do you should have it serviced regularly. The most ware and tare on an engine happens when the engine has just been turned on and is still cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

typical of most used cars in this country, never even have their oil changed....anyway bring it to toyota, actually toyota on the n4 outside lucan are pretty good and friendly. other toyota dealers are an unknown quantity, i have tried a few others and they arent great. it could be anything, it will need its ecu checked for fault codes and toyota know their cars best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

the rev will oscillate every so often but it as always done that when it is about to switch off the car wil shake a little,like it wasn't getting enough juice... starts first time every time with no problems, it's got 50k on the clock & it was last serviced at 30k, it restarts immediately which is grand, granted...I've done 400 miles in the last two days & the car would normally do very little milage I've only clocked up 20k in 3.5 years

you hardly expect your car to perform 100% if it has not been serviced in 20K miles or even had an oil/plug/filter change in 3.5 years :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

3.5 years he said ...God bless the poor bugger who buys the car off him at some stage.

• Advertisement

peasant wrote:
    3.5 years he said ...God bless the poor bugger who buys the car off him at some stage.

i think its because hes suspicious of garages ripping him of hahahahaha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The oil must have turned to water at this stage.

Just goes to show you that low mileage cars are not always the good buy some people think they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,047 ✭✭✭✭unkel

:eek: typically Toyota Corrolla owners are civil servants that are a waste of space, paid from your and mine hard earned money, that honour the service due date of their POS car before they would buy their kid a birthday present

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Saturnine

Idle speed control valve needs cleaning.

.....it's got 50k on the clock & it was last serviced at 30k, it restarts immediately which is grand, granted....... the car would normally do very little milage I've only clocked up 20k in 3.5 years

Low mileage is harder on a car then constant running, Add to that you have not serviced it in 20K mls, and it's a mystery it runs at all, not that it fails on occasion. Speaks well of Toy quality.
    Low cold running miles coat everything with carbon.
    Oil left unchanged in the sump in wet and soggy ireland for 2~3 years is probaly 25~50% moisture, what color is it. ( I have a similar serviced car out here at the moment, and the oil is some brown soup)

Anyway, it might be necessary to start with the basics, like change the plugs, pionts and oil at least. Check/change the (probably corroded) cap and rotor, No harm to clean the throttle body and ports also, add some gas/injector cleaner to a full tank of petrol, Then drive the hell out of it for a few days, take 2 asprin and call again in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

CHANGE THE FUEL FILTER!!!! The spark is their but there no fuel gettin to it because its cogged with the fuel filter. Remember air+spark+fuel makes the car go.

My friend has the same problem, it happens when the car is idle in car or when you go around corners. my friend got the idle speed sensor CLEANED, which helped but the problem return, GET IT CHANGED AS WELL.

But i reckon its the Fuel Filter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 mivec

had the same problem with my fiat a couple of years ago.... man i was glad to c the back of that car.... mine was a problem with the lack of air getting past the throttle... was really annoying going around the corner if she cut out coz u loose all power steering etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Hmmm....does every Toyota owner treat their cars like this??

"The car in front" will no longer be a Toyota :D

hmm looks like hes a linux user by his avator, says it all really :D

mivec wrote:
    had the same problem with my fiat a couple of years ago.... man i was glad to c the back of that car.... mine was a problem with the lack of air getting past the throttle... was really annoying going around the corner if she cut out coz u loose all power steering etc

That's when you drill a hole or file a flat on the throttle plate, right?.

• Advertisement
Advertisement