Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackboard Jungle

Options
  • 19-06-2005 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember this? God it was awful, and they won a Van, what was that all about?

I always wondered why my school was never on it, did you have to apply or something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I remember it. Ray Darcy and Conferring for 1 point!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

O yeah its all coming back now, and the funcky music too when time ran out, do you remember that?? what did the theme go like again ?? I think i remember music like that cartoon with Doug Funny in it, thats the closest thing i can relate it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭seo-ireland

"Let's see what Einstein picks for us. Ooh Geography"

I actually really liked that show. The 'on the spot' round was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

our schools was in it one year and when they got a question wrong you wanted to kick the TV if you knew the answer at home and they didnt in the studio

a good quiz show though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭seo-ireland

Actually my flatmate admitted that he was a contestant on it once while in a less than sober state and needless to say he was slagged from then on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Ah, 'Blackboard Jungle' was great craic. But the follow-up to it, 'Gridlock', with Derek Mooney as the presenter, was a great big steaming pile of donkey-doo-doo. It was supposed to be a quiz-show for secondary school students but you would have needed a PhD in astrophysics to even begin to get your head around the rules of the game! :eek: It would give you a headache just watching it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

our school was on gridlock and they suck3d! :) bb jungle was a great show, trying to remember the theme tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I was my school captain on bbj.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

My school won BBJ and and they still had the minibus up to 3 years ago, so they still might.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'll have an honours question there Ray.

on to the rapid fire buzzer round!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Actually, I thought this was a great quiz. Simple but good format. I rarely missed it when it was on TV and was in the audience for the recording of one of the shows. The other thing I remember about the quiz was checking out the chicks on the teams (I was a horny teenager at the time so that's my excuse)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Decent enough. A couple of guys from my class were on it and it was quite amusing to see them (I may still have it on video). They lost on the first round but, apparently, Ray told them they were the better team afterwards and should've won.

What our school did achieve was the honour of getting the lowest ever score on the show in a subequent season so you can all stick your mini-buses and bow before the school's towering intelligentsia!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭wailers_irl

I actually have the blackboard jungle board game somewhere!!! cheesey picture of ray with a dodgy jumper and dodgier smile, sent it in to him at today fm but no reply, not his finest moment no doubt!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Got to the final of this one year. Bit of a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Oh god yea forgot all about blackboard jungle , that show was brilliant!I remember getting the blackboard jungle quiz book , Ray Darcy rocked!

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Ray Darcy rocked!
    Still does, tbh, more so even.

Na your a star really put me off Ray Darcy , it ruined him for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I was on that show... Was a lot of fun. Won my first discman!

cornbb wrote:
    I was on that show... Was a lot of fun. Won my first discman!
    cool!

• Advertisement

Discman?....you bastard, all I got was a feckin tape player, no even radio on it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

seansouth wrote:
    Discman?....you bastard, all I got was a feckin tape player, no even radio on it!!

we won two games, I guess I rock more than you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Who actually watched that show, other than people in the schools who were on it?
    It was really boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

ah blackboard jungle..... they were simpler times...

saw ray darcy on abbey street a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

saw ray darcy on abbey street a few weeks ago
    Today FM is on Abbey Street.

RTÉ came to my school looking for contestants for Blackboard Jungle. But I guess none enough of us were smart enough as we never heard back from them.

I did get to appear as a contestant on the wonderful Talk About with Alan Hughes a few years later though...

Advertisement