Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] O'Connell Street - east side bus stops

Options
  • 18-06-2005 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,351 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.dublinbus.ie/news_centre/timetable_and_route_news.asp?action=view&news_id=461
    O'Connell Street - east side bus stops

Dublin Bus wish to advise customers that due to path widening in O'Connell Street, the following bus stop changes will be implemented on the east side of O'Connell Street from Monday 20 June 2005 (date subject to change):

The last two bus stops (southbound, before O'Connell Bridge) in Lower O Connell Street outside the Ulster Bank and Hamilton's Pharmacy will be removed. These two bus stops serve routes 5, 7, 7A, 7B, 7D, 11, 11A, 13, 13A, 40A, 70X and 116. These routes will in future stop and pick up passengers on Lower O'Connell Street outside Sony Shop from the above date.

Routes 10, 10A and the 46A will in future stop and pick up passengers on Lower O'Connell Street outside Clerys from the above date.

Routes 121, 122 and 123 will in future stop and pick up passengers on Upper O'Connell Street outside Beshoff from the above date.

Routes 1, 2, 3, 16, 16A, 19, 19A, 38, 38A, 38B and 38C will in future stop and pick up passengers on Upper O'Connell Street outside Burgerking from the above date.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I am presuming the stops on Upper O'Connell Street stay the same, like the ones at the Savoy. The 11 should stop on D'Olier Street. When it took over the 62 route, a stop there would have compensated for the loss of the 62 terminus on Hawkins Street. I know a lot of buses stop on D'Olier Street, but now might be an opportunity to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,351 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But you can get the 11 outside TCD!
    Routes 1, 2, 3, 16, 16A, 19, 19A, 38, 38A, 38B and 38C will in future stop and pick up passengers on Upper O'Connell Street outside Burgerking from the above date.
    At the moment this is actually further down, between Burgerking and North Earl Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I know you can get the 11 there. The next one after the one at the front of TCD is not that far away. A mid O'Connell Street, D'Olier Street and Nassau Street stop would be a better spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Thomond Pk

Does anyone know if these changes are permanent or if they are temporary how long will they be in place?

Thanks

TP

Thomond Pk wrote:
    Does anyone know if these changes are permanent or if they are temporary how long will they be in place?
    They will be there indefinitely.

O'Connell Street is being rebuilt and I'm sure there will be more changes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

Does anyone know where Citylink coaches will pick up passengers now? Their pick-up point was outside Quinn Direct on O'Connell St.

Nothing on their website other than "O'Connell Bridge". E-mail them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

I have a vision of their coaches loading literally on O'Connell Bridge. I can't see DCC allowing that :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Was passing south over o'connell bridge this evening on a bus.....at least we tried to. The bus got stuck in the junction for ages because of a citylink bus at a citylink busstop on the BRIDGE ! Wtf?
    Dublin Bus driver went crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Ray777 wrote:
    I have a vision of their coaches loading literally on O'Connell Bridge. I can't see DCC allowing that :confused:

Yesterday I was going to say not to bet on that. DCC have as usual lived up to the lowest possible expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bandraoi

Could Dublin Bus for the love of God, Commuters and the tourists, please
    1: find a nice map of the city centre
    2: Mark the bus stops onto it
    3: List the various possible destinations and the buses that go to each destination.

THEN PUT THE MAPS UP
    at various convenient locations around the city centre - most notably O'Connell street, D'Olier St., Westmoreland Street and beside Trinity.

It's basic common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

sorry if this is oild news but they have got rid of the no 7 bus stop from the top of O'connell st (at the old eircom/3G store) and now have to go up past the Gate to Parnell Square East to get the 7....pity they didn't put any signs at the old bus stop....first i heard of it was when the 7 was happily zooming by me

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

What exactly is the story with the butchering that's going on on O'Connell St at the minute?

I saw a carpenter/skivvie banging away at the wooden barriers two weeks ago (ish) - thought: Yes! Finally they're finished and are removing the blue monstrosities.

Now they're squeezing everything on either side of the street into 2 lanes, including the bus stops! W...T...F!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Thomond Pk

It should be fine once the taxi rank goes to the side of the gate, they also have the option of further traffic calming if required.

The Translink situation of actually stopping on a bridge is just plain crazy.

bandraoi wrote:
    Could Dublin Bus for the love of God, Commuters and the tourists, please
    1: find a nice map of the city centre
    2: Mark the bus stops onto it
    3: List the various possible destinations and the buses that go to each destination.

THEN PUT THE MAPS UP
    at various convenient locations around the city centre - most notably O'Connell street, D'Olier St., Westmoreland Street and beside Trinity.

It's basic common sense.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/city_centre.asp

Used to be common on city centre bus stops until a few years ago when the stops started changing every few weeks.

Thomond Pk wrote:
    The Translink situation of actually stopping on a bridge is just plain crazy.
    Citylink :)

The 16 stop was moved back to Burgerking again.

Aircoach was stopped outside the Savoy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Turned up this morning to get my bus only to find out the bus stop had chanaged but there was no notice to where it had moved to.

I get the 11 bus most mornings.

At the start of the O Connell Street works the stop was up by the O'Connell Street bridge. During the works it was beside Abbey Street. Now its beside the Savoy. A bit of walk for me but I wont've minded if I had of known and not missed my bus this morning.

A lot of the stops have moved so make sure you are at the right one this morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Stephanos

They removed some of the bus stops in Fairview last year to replace them with those new modern glass ones. For a while there was literally no bus stop or indication of a bus stop. Basically the bus drivers ceased stopping there for a week or so, even when I stood at the road with my arm out. I am guessing they stopped in the mornings when there was a big congregation.

kearnsr wrote:
    Turned up this morning to get my bus only to find out the bus stop had chanaged but there was no notice to where it had moved to.

I get the 11 bus most mornings.

At the start of the O Connell Street works the stop was up by the O'Connell Street bridge. During the works it was beside Abbey Street. Now its beside the Savoy. A bit of walk for me but I wont've minded if I had of known and not missed my bus this morning.

A lot of the stops have moved so make sure you are at the right one this morning!

It was posted on their website last Friday.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/news_centre/latest_news.asp?action=view&news_id=574

Usually Victor puts theose announcements up here. I used to stick them up as well when Victor hadn't but I got the impression people weren't that bothered so I stopped, oops.

At least the fiasco on O'CS is finished now so they should not be changing again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Posting it on their website isn't much help. A few notices on O'Connell St itself wouldn't have gone astray - or maybe an announcement on the bus each morning last week. It's not like there isn't advertising space in each bus - would it have been too much hassle to put up a sign?

I also missed my bus this morning. Well "missed it" isn't exactly what happened. I was there to see it drive by - I just didn't realise the bus stop had changed (since most of the same people were standing there - obviously all thinking the same as me that the bus would stop there as usual) until the bus driver refused to open the door to let me on. Instead he laughed at us standing there, arms out, waiting for him to open the door. He didn't even have the decency to shout out to us and let us know that the stop had moved. Instead he was sitting there stopped in traffic, looking at the people who were knocking on the door, and just shaking his head and smiling.

It took me 10 minutes just to find the bus stop after that. Grrrrr. Not the best way to start a Monday morning.

• Advertisement

John R wrote:
    Usually Victor puts theose announcements up here.
    /hangs head in shame ;)

I was there the other night even, Dublin Bus have at least painted their signs, teh BE ones and some tour ones I saw are the same old rusty ones.

Relocation of Bus stops in O'Connell Street: - 09th June 2006

Relocation of Bus stops in O'Connell Street:

Northbound:
    Buses will operative outside the following stops:
    Easons: Routes:10/10A,46a,145 (Set down only)
    Penny's:Routes: 38,38A/B/C,123
    Spar: Routes: 2,5,7/A/B/D,8,14,14a,48a,58c,63
    Flanagans: Routes: 10,10A
    Dublin Bus Head Office: Routes: 747 and Dublin City Tours
    Carlton/Dr Quirkey:Routes: 4,13,13A,19,19A,116
    Londis: Routes: 3,11,11A,16,16A,46A,46X,58X,746
    Garda Station:Routes: 121,122,38/a/b/c

Sountbound:
    Frazers Routes: 4,5,7/A/B/D,
    Madigans Routes: 11,11A,13,13A
    Citizens info. Routes: 19,19a,38/a,747
    Burger King Routes:14,14A,16,16A,48A
    Budget ravel Routes:10,10A,46A/B/C/D/E,58E,58X,63,116,
    145,746,Dublin Bus Tours
    Sony Routes:1,2,3,121,122,123
    Bank of Ireland Routes: 4,5,7/A/B/D,8,40A,70X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

Customer service personell were there all weekend giving advice to passengers and it was also mentioned on AA traffic reports this morning. All bus stops have the routes displayed on top. I would think this is the last of the changes, considering the work has finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

I still don't think it would have been too much to ask to have a sign at the old number 11 bus stop saying where the new one is located - I didn't see any customer service personnel this morning when i was trying to figure out where the new stop was. And I know that the numbers are posted on the top of the bus stops - but I don't check the list every morning just in case the numbers had changed.

Hopefully you are right and this is the last of the changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,798 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

aniascor wrote:
    I also missed my bus this morning. Well "missed it" isn't exactly what happened. I was there to see it drive by - I just didn't realise the bus stop had changed (since most of the same people were standing there - obviously all thinking the same as me that the bus would stop there as usual) until the bus driver refused to open the door to let me on. Instead he laughed at us standing there, arms out, waiting for him to open the door. He didn't even have the decency to shout out to us and let us know that the stop had moved. Instead he was sitting there stopped in traffic, looking at the people who were knocking on the door, and just shaking his head and smiling.
    That right there would be the bigger problem for me to be honest and yet another example of why people (justifably) have problems with Dublin Bus :(

Having Customer Service personnell out at the weekend is another somewhat pointless endaevour considering not everyone goes into town at the weekend (I personally try and avoid it as much as I can during peak shopping hours/days). There should have been someone there from about 8-9:30 this morning and in-bus notices should have been in place last week.

As usual though we have to have the "Irish" approach :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

MiniD wrote:
    Customer service personell were there all weekend giving advice to passengers
    HAW HAW HAW... All weekend, eh? And then come Monday morning, not one in sight, eh?

Relocation of Bus stops in O'Connell Street: - 09th June 2006

Relocation of Bus stops in O'Connell Street:

Northbound:
    Easons: Routes:10/10A,46a,145 (Set down only)
    Penny's:Routes: 38,38A/B/C,123
    Spar: Routes: 2,5,7/A/B/D,8,14,14a,48a,58c,63
    Flanagans: Routes: 10,10A
    Dublin Bus Head Office: Routes: 747 and Dublin City Tours
    Carlton/Dr Quirkey:Routes: 4,13,13A,19,19A,116
    Londis: Routes: 3,11,11A,16,16A,46A,46X,58X,746
    Garda Station:Routes: 121,122,38/a/b/c

Sountbound:
    Frazers Routes: 4,5,7/A/B/D,
    Madigans Routes: 11,11A,13,13A
    Citizens info. Routes: 19,19a,38/a,747