Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish mystery

Options
  • 18-06-2005 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any idea what happened here...
    I have, well, had 2 goldfish, well they more more pond fish really. Not carp, but they came from a pond, and were a bit bigger than your average goldfish. One had glucoma and his/her eyes were swelled up to a massive size. The other one was grand.

Recently, maybe a couple of weeks ago, we noticed the fish, mostly the healthier one, was spending a lot of time on the bottom of the tank, and gulping a lot as if finding it hard to breathe.
    Yesterday morning I noticed that the two of them were doing that, so I said I'd change the water when I got back to see if it'd make a difference.
    When I got back the one with glucoma was dead and the other one was on his side and barely breathing.

The other one is recovering now, but I don't know what happened. I would say old age, but I don't think that would explain the two of them suddenly not being able to breathe. Could it be the water? (the tank is cleaned out fairly regularly, and it wasn't that long since we had cleaned it out) The tank itself? since it's really old, realising some sort of chemical from the sealant?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Was the tank not filtered ?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Alqua

No. We had a filter once, but it broke down and we didn't get a new one. I don't see that as a problem though, since we cleaned it regularly and they were grand that way for 11 years.
    This evening the surviving fish went sideways again, but revived again when I put him into fresh water. I'm stumped.
    Maybe this warm weather has something to do with it? I got some new medication for the water anyway, and new stones incase it was anything contagious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

wow!! your fish is 11 years old?? I thought I was the only one, my fish is about 13 years old now! - but has had that eye problem too for the past 3 years I'd say, if not longer.. really gross to look at!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Alqua wrote:
    No. We had a filter once, but it broke down and we didn't get a new one.

Dude, you defintely have a problem if you can't even keep the filter alive!

(sorry, hungover, couldn't resist :))

but has had that eye problem too for the past 3 years I'd say, if not longer.. really gross to look at!
    Yeah it's horrible! Especially when it spreads to both eyes and they just get massive! My friend always said she'd love to pop his eye with a needle...lovely.
    I think there's stuff you can get that will cure that eye thing. Yesterday when I bought that medication that was listed as one of the things it cures, except it was a bit late for my fish!
    Dude, you defintely have a problem if you can't even keep the filter alive!
    Blame my parents, I was too young to take responsibility for the filter. ;)

The other fish seems to be ok now, but it seems he goes sideways if the water heats up during the day at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

It was probably heat related...warm water holds less oxygen than cold water, but to be honest, goldfish dont do well in tanks, for example, a 2 foot tank will HAPPILY hold one goldfish. It will hold 4, but they wont be happy. They need a lot of surface area per fish, and esp without a filter, its animal cruelty. as are goldfish bowls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭boroughmal

sounds like a classic case of nitrate poisoning. The fact that your goldfish also had pop-eye is the telling factor. Of course they died, you didnt look after them enough. Without a filtration system to take out their faeces they ate them every time they breathed.
    Why is it that some people do not wake up untill their pets are dead?
    Regards

Er... I did look after them actually, very well. I cleaned the water regularly, and it always was clean to look at. I found out why we didn't have a filter, and it was because the fish went a bit weird when we got it. They're from a pond, and maybe I'm just raving, but I've never seen a filter in a pond.
    And if I hadn't looked after them, how would they have lived happily in the tank for 11 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Your fish died because you didnt look after them.
    Yes ponds do and should have filters.
    Clear water isnt always healthy water, Most toxic chemicals arent visable to the human eye.

I accept that the fish may have died because of a problem with the water, however I have always looked after them to the best of my ability, and I think if I was doing anything wrong, they would have died long before now.

• Advertisement

Perhaps I should apologise for being so abrupt.
    My problem is that I have allways encouraged good fishkeeping by preventitive methods. Any of my customers are asked first if they have kept fish before, most say a long time ago. I then proceed to tell them the minimum requirements of fishkeeping and when they try to be ignorant of this I do not sell them fish. This is because I know they will kill them, by ignorance, not by nature.
    all my fish that I supply are treated for standard deseases before transit, they are then stress coated for transit & wrapped in Oxygen bags. I personally gaurantee that the fish , whilst in my care are perfectly presented.
    So I get really annoyed when the new keeper lets them die through ignorance or neglegance. I am sure that you are a very caring person, but you have to see it through my eyes as a avid fishkeeper.

I put it this way.
    Some of the fish that you get have travelled half way around the world to get to you, It is your duty to care for them in strange surroundings, you would not put your hands in dirty water so why would you expect a fish to live in it. Water quality is the most important thing to these animals, without it they die. There are four considerations when it comes to water for fish.
    Number one is Ammonia, this is what the fish produces when he goes to the toilet. Would you expect to swim in dirty polouted water? then neither does your fish
    The second is Nitrite. This is produced from nitrobacteria eating the faeces of the fish & other animals that inhabit a tank. It is Toxic at certain levels & must be neutralized
    The Third is Nitrate, This is an element that makes all things grow, but at certain levels it also is no good to the fish & must be removed.
    The fourth is P.h. This is the diffrence between water inside the fish & water on the outside. If it is the same inside as it is out then the fish has no way to controll its intake or exhallation, Just imagine if you had no skin to hold you in. This is why the diffrence in the p.h. must be maintained in the water.

If you read this you will see that water to a fish is lifegiving just the same as air is to humans. There would be an upcry as there was in the sixties when we had to breathe polouted air. My upcry is now!

I apologise again, "Its easy to be ignorant when you do not know"

Apology accepted. ;)
    I'm not sure what it was, but the fish that died had pop-eye for a very long time, was very old, and was probably going to die soon anyway. In that, I'm not saying there was nothing wrong with the water, but if I had done something wrong, they would've died ages ago. The surviving fish is thriving, I don't think I've ever seen him better.
    I can assure you, boroughmal, I am a big animal lover and would never do anything in half measures, including cleaning out a fish tank/looking after any other pets.

Some goldfish are bred with the syndrome they are called bubble eyes.
    The diffrence detween an infection & breeding is that the bred fish is comfortable with it and the infected fish tends to scrape into things because his view is either dulled or distorted. When a fish develops the syndrome it should be treated with a antibiotic, which removes the mucus that causes the eye to swell.
    My problem is not neccessarily with you direct but with the vast amount of people that put fish through misery because they dont take time to understand any other problem exept living & dying.
    My wife looks after a house for a friend while they are away, she went to the house to get the dirty washing. There was two goldfish were left on the side for five days without changing the water. I happened to walk in and spot them and noticed they were laying on the bottom. I immediatly gave them clean water allbeit tapwater and then transported the fish to my house for the duration of the holiday. Within three hours one of the fish was dead, He had nitrite poisoning. Two fish in I gallon of water and 5 lots of food fed by the cleaner. The owner wasnt told on the phone that the fish had died. but when she comes back I will tell her what I think of her.
    I changed the water I gave them stresscoat I cleaned the gravell & tested the water, but only managed to save one fish.
    Goldfish live up to 35 years and this is an article I wrote for children.
    Perhaps you will do me the honour & read it.
    Regards
    www.fishkeepingsupplies.com
    Aquarium and Fish Supply Tropical

Why don't I keep a goldfish ?

Well did you know that the goldfish is the only fish that was kept for its
    looks and not for food?

Did you know that the Chinese have been keeping goldfish for the last
    thousand years?

Did you know that the goldfish is the most popular pet in the British Isles?
    Around fifteen million people have or have had goldfish in the last ten
    years!

Did you know that a goldfish can live up to 30 years or more, but the
    average is about five years?

Did you know that the goldfish is often born a different colour - normally
    brown or black but changes to gold as he gets older? Sometimes he changes
    again when he gets ancient. Just like humans, they lose their pigment and
    go grey or mostly silver.

Did you know that there are thousands of different types of goldfish and
    hundreds of different shades ? The most popular is red, followed by
    shubunkins - which are multicoloured, followed by red and white, followed by
    black..

Some of the different types are the common goldfish. He is the one who
    looks just like a carp, but has no barbs on his mouth - that is how you tell
    the diffrence between the two.

The Oranda. He is the little short fat one with a longer tail or sometimes
    what looks like two tails.

The fantail. She is the one with beauty and a long tail like a fan spread
    out sideways when you look down on them.

The shubunkin who is graced with three colours a black a red and sometimes
    a yellowy colour on top of his white.

The ranchu or the tanchu. King of the goldfish, he has a crown of bubbles
    on his head and a downward sloping tail with one or two fins.

The bubble eye. She can be recognised by her name as her eyes normally have
    large bubbles covering them.

The moor. Someone put soot in the tank and he has been black ever since,
    that's why he is a fishy tale. Not quite as fancy as the ranchu, but
    sometimes he has big eyes as well that protrude from his head.

The pom pom. He is the same as the tanchu, with a smaller crown on his
    nose. He is second to the king in fishy circles.

The panda is the latest craze with large fins that resemble a butterfly so
    sometimes he is called that.

So will I buy the one with the humpy back or the biggest tale or maybe two
    orandas to be king and queen of my water? It matters not as you will like
    the one you bought when he swims up for his food in the morning and blows
    bubbles or suck you fingers.

If you take him home gently and give him clean water every day, he will love
    & cherish you with his looks when you walk past and will always care for you
    as long as you treat him right.

Who is my friend?

So I went to the shop and we saw the goldfish that we wanted. I was going
    to take him away today, but I didn't have a tank or a bowl to put him in. So
    I asked the people on the fishkeeping site of how to buy a tank for goldie?

The first thing I was told was that you have to have at least 5 litres or
    about a gallon of water for even the smallest of the goldies. You can work
    this out with a 2 litre milk bottle and fill it up five times & empty it
    into a bucket. You will see its over half full so I want a bowl that's
    bigger than that because as I grow, so does my fish.

A 12x12x24" tank carries 12 gallons of water so I will buy three fish and
    let them have babies until the tank is full. I had to tell my mum that the
    tank is big enough to put 12 fish in but they will not grow because they
    will get squashed, so she let me buy the bigger one (I am not stupid you
    know)

So I went back on the internet and they told me that goldie doesn't like
    tapwater because it has all those nasty chemicals in it that we drink that
    goldie doesn't like. So when I get my tank, I will get Tapsafe and put the
    water in a bucket & leave it overnight for changing water in the morning -
    so goldie gets clean water every day.

Well it's a few weeks later and today we are going to the shop to get goldie
    and some of her friends. I have saved up my pocket money and mummy is giving
    me a bit extra because I am good and we now have enough money for the tank.
    Daddy said he will buy the fish for my birthday, but that's not for a couple
    of months but I am getting a small present today. I can't wait for daddy to
    get home from work! I have my paper bag ready to put over the fish bag so
    that goldie doesn't get scared on her way home and I have a stiff cardboard
    box to put the plastic bag into so the bag will not get punctured at all.

We're here at the fish shop now and I told my dad that he has to bring a
    measuring tape to make sure it's the right size. I get to choose one and my
    brother has to choose the other and I will let mummy choose the third one,
    as its only fair because she gave me the extra pocket money when dad said I
    wasn't worth it.

I need some food or he will starve. I wish I had asked my friends what food
    to get! But the nice man in the fish shop said that the fish needs flake
    food every day and worms on Sunday as a treat. Only as much as they can eat
    in five minutes and no more. Twice a day and a little extra on Sundays.

Well "I don't want the one with the white spots" he is not well or the one
    with a ragged fin as he has been eaten by a shark. I want the one who is
    swimming nicely with the red spot and the wiggly tale. My brother had to
    choose the big one as he is nearly as big as me. Mummy said it didn't matter
    which one she chose as she liked the one that I liked second, so now we have
    three.

I cant wait to get home but mummy has to get food or we will all starve, so
    I am holding the fish box in between my brother who keeps saying that his is
    better than mine. But its not you see, mine is prettier.

Dad put the tapwater stuff in four buckets that he borrowed last night, so I
    have unpacked the tank and its going in the sitting room on the side table.
    I hope its strong enough to take the tank. Mummy has put the water in and I
    have to leave the fishes in the bag for half an hour until they get warmer,
    because its cold out today.

I put my hand in the bag and the fish wiggled so much, but I got him and put
    him in his new home. My brother nearly dropped his, so daddy put the other
    one in. We didn't put the water in from the shop because their water was
    dirty as all those fish wee'd in it and we didn't want wee in our tank.

So now I can go to bed because I'm tired and my little friends will be
    waiting for me when I eat my breakfast. I'll feed them flake because
    tomorrows a school day and they don't get treats till Sunday! And not a bit
    extra as my friends on the internet said, they will poison themselves like
    sleeping beauty if they have too much. I love my goldie!.

Advertisement