Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money stolen from account...need help!

Options
  • 18-06-2005 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

OK, was on holidays last week, using my atm card to take out money.i came home and checked my account balance and all was fine. A few days later, its down €3000, i checked with the bank and it had been withdrawn from different atms around the resort i was at. But i still have my atm card, how did he get the money out? Is that covered by the bank? any help is really appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boa-constrictor

jondom wrote:
    OK, was on holidays last week, using my atm card to take out money.i came home and checked my account balance and all was fine. A few days later, its down €3000, i checked with the bank and it had been withdrawn from different atms around the resort i was at. But i still have my atm card, how did he get the money out? Is that covered by the bank? any help is really appreciated!

I'd say that was one hell of a session!

Seriously, I dont see how this could happen if you haven't told anyone your pin number. Your sure they were atm withdrawals and not Laser? Even if they were Laser, its unlikely that someone took your card, used it an put it back, unless it was someone you know. First step obviously is to report it to the police (where you went on hols). I doubt if they bother doing anything, but if you got an idle cop and it was an easy collar (video evidence from a bank atm) you'd never know. Must be someone you know though, if they put the card back.

Otherwise, and probably more likely is that you were phished (I think this is the term). They attach a device to the atm and it records your magnetic strip and they watch you input your pin with binoculars, then they go off and input your details onto blank cards and go on a spree. Sounds far fetched but their at it all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Definately sounds like phishing to me.

http://www.techcentral.ie/consumer_tech/Phishing_update/view

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

you're insured by your bank against this happening. don't worry, you'll almost certainly get your money back...obviously make sure the bank is made aware of this as soon as possible...

if the bank try to give you hassle, go to a solicitor straight away or a Free Legal Advice Clinic. if they still refuse to help then contact the media. Newstalk are good at covering topics like this. banks HATE negative publicity.

Advertisement