Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Banish the 'Stupid Fairy' ?

Options
  • 17-06-2005 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭

Was massive chip leader last night in Merrion down to the last 20 or so, threw most of the stack away on a stupid call.

I had played solid and well, making good calls, and making the right folds at the right time as well.
    Guy (Scandinavian methinks) who had just joined the table, and sort of upset the 'karma' (mine anyway) and was bluffing a few pots with all-in moves on the river. He was probably 2nd or 3rd in room on chips

Anyway make a long story short, I convinced myself he was bluffing an all-in move on the river with A8A6A board, it had been unraised from flop to river (he was BB, I was SB) ... I had pocket 2's, for the house.

As I said Stupid Fairy is roaring "call call call, he has nothing again, it's a freeroll for christ sakes", my head says "fold not worth the risk, you are sitting pretty here".

Guess which one I listened to ?..... stupid stupid stupid.

So, lesson was learned I think once and for all.... badly damaged stack went out in 11th I think about an hour later, when my JJ got busted by 99 that caught a 9 as well.
    As it turned out the Scandinavian guy bluffed his chips away and busted out before me anyway, but the chips didn't come back to me.

Night wasn't totally ruined, went home after kicking the cat, logged on and got 2nd in a MTT so was still a profitable night, but the hangover remains this morning of the bad call.

Any other remedies for eradication of 'Stupid Fairy' visits?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

what did he have down in this hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

oh yea, sorry he had the 8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Hey culchie, yeah you did have a juicy stack in front of you alright! I made a few really silly calls too, I only came in on the freeroll about 25 mins before the break, so tried to make the most of it. Got no cards at all, went out after the break on AK, flop came over K and the caller got his pair.
    Suited me, just wasnt with it. On the other hand I played a STT and got second- so not a total loss!
    Prob hit the freeroll on monday again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Culchie wrote:

Any other remedies for eradication of 'Stupid Fairy' visits?

I always say to myself with desicions like these 'If i call will i be happy enough to lose this hand if raiser happens to have a better hand than mine'. If yes 'call' and if no 'fold'.
    No point calling a big raise if youre going to berate yourself when you find out your behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

I like to read Simon Trumper's articles on Sportinglife and the thing I note is that he is very analytical of how he played and if he could have played better. At least you did go home kicking the cat and annoyed with yourself as it will improve you for the future.
    I don't play too much myself but I remember my very bad plays very very well.
    Better luck next time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭JuliusFranco

i read something about Kevin O'Connell once (from DeV I think). When asked about how he makes such good calls, he said it was from making some real bad ones

Advertisement