Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What is the big deal with the new M5?

Options
  • 17-06-2005 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am at a loss over the hype and drooling over the new M5. What is so special about it?
    It was reviewed in the motoring supplement of the Indo this week and compared to its closest rivals. And if you look at the Audi RS6, it has over 200bhp less, smaller engine and yet has the same acceleration, and top speed, (both limited to 155mph). It cost far less, you get a far mor pratical car, and most likely get far more kit for your money.
    Plus road tax and insurance are going to be particularly lower, and i assuming the fuel consumption will be less.

Why do BMW need such a big engine, with such a big power output, to do the same job as Audis car? And how come Audi did not receive such a reception when it arrived.

Or is it just because it is a 'BMW', and seemingly they can do no wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,223 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

prospect wrote:
    if you look at the Audi RS6, it has over 200bhp less, smaller engine and yet has the same acceleration, and top speed, (both limited to 155mph). It cost far less, you get a far mor pratical car, and most likely get far more kit for your money

You are joking, right? The M5 is only €4k more than the RS6 and it has all the options you could think of as standard. The M5 has probably the best petrol engine in the world except maybe some €€€€ supercars. Disable the limiter and it will do over 330km/h

Read a few more reviews...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Well the engine swept the boards at the international engine of the year awards, so I'd imagine thats a good starting point for the praise. The size of the engine would have to do with BMW not turbocharging their cars, although thats going to change in the near future apparently.

I'd imagine the Audi didn't get the same reception because its simply not as good a car as the M5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

unkel wrote:
    You are joking, right? The M5 is only €4k more than the RS6 and it has all the options you could think of as standard. The M5 has probably the best petrol engine in the world except maybe some €€€€ supercars. Disable the limiter and it will do over 330km/h

Read a few more reviews...

Hey i am not criticising it, i am only asking a question,,,

ssheesh :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Clarkson liked it - that's why you must :D

Even though he hated the all the stupid "extras".

€135,000??

All the great cars you could get for that money...

All the great cars you could get for that money...

Actually the competition is similarly priced. You can't get a better large family saloon with that kinda performance for less, so it is actually good value for money :eek: Never thought I'd say that :)

prospect wrote:
    It cost far less
    No it doesn't, only €4k less
    prospect wrote:
    you get a far mor pratical car
    I fail to say that, both are understated large family saloons with a good size boot
    prospect wrote:
    far more kit for your money
    Nope, M5 is fully loaded
    prospect wrote:
    Plus road tax and insurance are going to be particularly lower
    Wrong, road tax is exactly the same. All cars over 3000cc are €1343, don't I know it :(

Insurance would be the same too. The cars are of similar value and in the same insurance category
    prospect wrote:
    the fuel consumption will be less

Slightly. Not that it matters to spend €100 more per year in petrol in a car that is going to depreciate €30,000 in it's first year

• Advertisement

Thanks Unkel,

Two things though. Is the RS6 not an estate?
    Also, I have heard that the M5 isn't fully loaded as standard. I am assuming i was mis-informed.

This thread is giving me an idea on another thread :rolleyes: I'll start on it in a while.

prospect wrote:
    Is the RS6 not an estate?

No, it's a saloon. But you're right, you can get it as an estate as well: RS6 Avant. Production of both ceased earlier this year
    prospect wrote:
    I have heard that the M5 isn't fully loaded as standard

It is fully loaded - check out the standard equipment here
    prospect wrote:
    This thread is giving me an idea on another thread :rolleyes: I'll start on it in a while.

Now you got me interested :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Generally the driving dynamics of BMW's are better than the Audi's. Thats what you are paying for. I can't believe no ones mentioned it yet.... :eek:

Dynamics as more important than the straight-line performance. Unless you are 7 and are playing top trumps or something. The BMW is the better driving experience. Thats what the whole "M" concept is about.

Then you have the fact that the M5 is RWD and the Audi is 4x4. That another huge difference.

Heres lots of photos...
    http://www.bmwm5.com/articles.php?id=33

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

it has over 200bhp less

The new M5 has 500 bhp, does the RS6 have 700?

Gatster wrote:

No, it has 300 ish, Hence the word LESS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Gatster wrote:

He meant the Audi has 200 less.

My 2 cents - For that kind of money would you rather be seen in an M5 or an Audi? Nothing matters but the image!*

*May not be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

oh and dont forget you can cruise around in the M5 at 400 bhp, and if needed at the touch of a button get the extra 100 if someone in a 911 is pissin you off.Sort of like a shot of gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

How the funk did he get pics of my car when i was abroad in my holiday home?? :D

See the Ferrari......thats my sunday car! :D

Bought the M5 for the golf clubs and for when i have to bring the missus shopping!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

The previous generation A6 RS6 had 450bhp stock before production stopped last year with the RS6+ having 480bhp, so 20brake down on an m5, not "200bhp less" !

An E39 (400bhp) M5 is quicker than both, so its safe to assume a 507bhp V10 BMW would absolutely annihilate one.

This car has hung with lamborghinis gallardo all the way to 150mph, and was around 3hundreths off a new Ferrari 430 in testing, so I don't see how you can get 'a far mor pratical' [sic] car with that sort of performance and value anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

At the risk of reinforcing the negative stereotype and image of bmw drivers in general, have a look at the attached M5 video, mindless burnouts (€900 each per tyre?) but he very nearly lost it towards the end on that long sweeping lefthander, I think the stability management must allow for a certain level of slip angle before intervening :D

http://www.c20let-tuning.de/media/movies/euro/bmw/m5/v10_drift.mpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

great car and almost 'worth' the money in these inflationary times...

528i wrote:
    he very nearly lost it towards the end on that long sweeping lefthander

It looked near perfect to me apart from your man going a bit wide into the first part of the bend. He could not have corrected better though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

prospect wrote:
    No, it has 300 ish, Hence the word LESS
    The RS6 has 450....the RS6+ has 476 AFAIR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

the M5 is AMAZING,i drove it last week as my cousin got it in uk. its beautiful.and eveything is bloody standard.if u have the money buy it. theres premium at the moment as the demand is high and supply is low.

also seen 1 in dublin so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Generally the driving dynamics of BMW's are better than the Audi's. Thats what you are paying for. I can't believe no ones mentioned it yet.... :eek:

Dynamics as more important than the straight-line performance. Unless you are 7 and are playing top trumps or something. The BMW is the better driving experience. Thats what the whole "M" concept is about.

Then you have the fact that the M5 is RWD and the Audi is 4x4. That another huge difference.

Heres lots of photos...
    http://www.bmwm5.com/articles.php?id=33
    Intresting article, specially like the koenigsegg bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

My cousin got his M5 last week. The exact same colour as the one in those pics. Not the best colour tbh.
    Those pics were looking nice...til that f355 showed up. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

prospect wrote:
    Hi all,

I am at a loss over the hype and drooling over the new M5. What is so special about it?

After reading the thread about provisional license driving on the Motorway
    I was disappointed that you were talking about the car and not a loverly new road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I was sitting in the new M5 at Goodwood this weekend. I dunno how it drives, but the seats were amazing.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

unkel wrote:
    It is fully loaded - check out the standard equipment here
    yes and no.
    There are plenty of toys on the standard 135k model but after you stick in a good few of the interior accessories, e.g. bluetooth, you could have easily spent about 150k

Advertisement