Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fitting Car Radios

Options
  • 17-06-2005 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

I have a lovely wee 98 renault megane, with an absolutely ****e radio, the original cassette yoke.

I'm thinking of getting this aldi mp3 cd player

http://www.aldi.ie/special_buys/product_251.html

and was wondering could anyone advise me on the connections and compatibility and all that kind of stuff, plus compatibility with the remote control at the steering column.

Or where can I find information on this type of stuff.

I take it the iso standard connection is what connects it to the car for sound and all but mainly what i need to know is what about the remote and the display on the dash that usually shows the station i'm on???

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

You may be able to get an adapter to use the remote but it is less likely the display will work with another stereo. The best chance is to buy a stereo from the same manufacturer if possible, otherwise a stereo specific - car specific lead is needed and it is possible a cheap brand from aldi will not have any leads made for it.
    If getting the remote and display working are important You should check out compatibility before buying the stereo.

Good on-line shops will supply stereos and the correct conection leads.
    http://www.incarexpress.com is a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Ooh, I might get one of these. I have a tevion telly and its the business. Anyone know what make/model it really is? Tevion stuff is usually other known brand gear rebranded (i.e. my tevion telly is actually a Beko).
    Unfortunately I have a ford so I'll have to get my hands on a fascia kit and wiring adaptors and stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭litirspam

Thinking of getting a new stereo too.
    Does anyone know where the best place is to get a Nissan Primera stereo fascia?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭limbovski

thanks for the help john i'll do a bit of research and see what i find

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

might be worth a quick trip to a breakers, they may have suitable head units?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

As far as I'm aware, the only stereos which can give both control and display to OEM setups are Sony, where they have the RMX-4S port (for control) and CD Changer control (for display). They must be used with an appropriate controller, which may be available from either Autoleads or www.connects2.com via www.incarexpress.co.uk (if anyone has it, they will). Other stereo mfrs can do control adaptors but not with display.

FWIW, I currently have a Citroen and I sacrificed the display, as you need a special MP3 compatible adaptor and it hadn't been released when I was fitting my new head unit. Works fine, display is now dedicated to trip computer and stereo front displays the channel / track / ID3 tag.

thanks dilbert, i will sacrifice the display for the aldi radio as its fairly decent for the price in my opinion.the current radio is driving me nuts.

do you reckon it would be handy to get a remote control convertor lead or whatever the technical term may be?

by the way it says the radio has an rca and iso connection, whats the craic with them anyone?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I had the same issue replacing the headunit in my Corsa. But I can live with it - the inbuilt display now just shows date, temp and time (though the date part blanks when radio goes on). Still, it doesn't bother me, it was worth removing the crappy Philips stock radio :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

As mentioned the remote and sub display will not work with the Aldi player. Pioneer head units can also use the sub display and steering remote with special adapters. They also do fascia's for all models of cars.

got that radio today no bother. theres only one problem, the aerial wire in the car doesnt fit the connection on the back of the radio.

The attached pic is a cross section of the two connections. As you can see the red pin is meant to slot into the blue slot on the radio, however it wont work? anyone familiar wth this and know of an adapter i can get and where...?

radio%20connection.gif

Also whats an rca connector for?

• Advertisement

The RCA may be pre out so you can connect it to an external amp.

I seee, any idea what kind of aerial adapter i need there fx?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

They are two different types of aerial connectors. Most stereos come with an adapter to fit both. Any decent motor factors or car audio store should have one. Just make sure you get the right one, the opposite adapter is the more common one.

I need the same aerial adaptor. Anyone know what its actually called? :)
    At the moment i just have a bit of wire strung between the two but its quite crappy reception wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭shano

I got my lovely pioneer mp3 stereo nicked from a "secure" basement car park in Dublin last week :mad: so picked up one of the aldi tevion models yesterday. The thief actually left the wiring in a decent enough state but the only thing was he took the aerial adaptor limbovski mentioned.

I just bought the adaptor from a motor factors for E3.50 - the price of a pint (in Athlone anyway!). Good luck in fitting your systems folks. Rock on...

They are bastards shano, I had my Pioneer MP3 nicked a short while ago too. Got a nice new DEH P7700MP to replace it from Germany. Don't think I could drop down to a Tevion after Pioneer. Plus I also have a sub so needed the sub output.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

there's a phono output on the tevion fx meister

I picked up the ford fascia for mine today, and - bonus - it came with the aerial adaptor thingy :)

shano wrote:
    I got my lovely pioneer mp3 stereo nicked from a "secure" basement car park in Dublin last week :mad: so picked up one of the aldi tevion models yesterday. The thief actually left the wiring in a decent enough state but the only thing was he took the aerial adaptor limbovski mentioned.

I just bought the adaptor from a motor factors for E3.50 - the price of a pint (in Athlone anyway!). Good luck in fitting your systems folks. Rock on...

whats that adapter called shano? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

I got one aswell yesterday. Think the radio adapter u need is PC5-27

http://www.ecwuk.com/auto/adaptors/antenna/

can anyone confirm this

Thanks

• Advertisement

yup thats the one i bought one in www.safeandsound.ie this morning for €2. great bargain. then he tried to charge me €25 for a fascia. I reckon you can get them on e-bay for £7.95 + £2 postage. bargain...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=75322&item=5782464964&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ebayphotohosting

anyone know a place in ireland or a cheaper place to get one... the price is fine on ebay but delivery might be little longer from england

Ye just got one, does the job grand

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭shano

I drove to the motor factors and yer man told me there were about six different types of aerial adaptor so he came out to my car and then knew what was needed after taking a look at it.

Got the Tevion working last night and it seems the business so far - well at E80 and with actually more functionality than my pioneer I reckon it's not bad at all. Some of the ways in which my pioneer worked really annoyed me i.e. no pause button (you needed to select pause from a list of functions) and ridiculously long time to read an mp3 disc that contained more than one folder - these issues may have been addressed on DEH P7700MP model but I never got round to checking out the specs...

Does anyone know if u can connect up the sterring whell remote control stick to this stero?? or am i asking alot of a €80 player?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

shano wrote:

E6.50 in Halfords, Blanchardstown!
    Aldi's Tevion unit is great value for E79. Works perfectly (with that adapter - thanks for the tip) in a '96 clio. gf will be chuffed when she sees it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 trinity1111

Brought the aldi tevion cd-MP3 car stereo the other week, and was looking to connect it today but found the connections to be different on my current stereo (Blunket in Nissan micra). :confused:
    But after reading everyones messages I have more of an idea of what adapters I need(thank god for forums!). :)

Could someone please help me out and tell me if buying the following is correct(yes I'm female and abit clueless on all this!)?:

Car aerial adapter(MZ80B):
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=19654&doy=26m6D

ISO harness adaptor:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=19651&&source=14&doy=26m6

Also theres 2 grey wires on the tevion with red and yellow capped ends (think its an RCA output?!?), I dont understand where they connect to or if they need to be connected at all. Does anyone know??

Thanks!!

The RCA ones don't need to be connected unless you've got a subwoofer or amplifier or something to connect them to.

Brought the aldi tevion cd-MP3 car stereo the other week, and was looking to connect it today but found the connections to be different on my current stereo (Blunket in Nissan micra). :confused:
    But after reading everyones messages I have more of an idea of what adapters I need(thank god for forums!). :)

Could someone please help me out and tell me if buying the following is correct(yes I'm female and abit clueless on all this!)?:

Car aerial adapter(MZ80B):
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=19654&doy=26m6D

ISO harness adaptor:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=19651&&source=14&doy=26m6

Also theres 2 grey wires on the tevion with red and yellow capped ends (think its an RCA output?!?), I dont understand where they connect to or if they need to be connected at all. Does anyone know??

Thanks!!

just go to a radio fitters and ask for the aerial adapter it wont be too expensive and you'll have it immediately rather than ordering it over net? If your stuck sure show them the radio and your car....?

jcoote wrote:
    there's a phono output on the tevion fx meister
    Is it adjustable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 trinity1111

Just want to say thanks for helping me out guys. I managed to fit mp3 player without any problems. :)

Advertisement