Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best poker game with mates and beer?

Options
  • 16-06-2005 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

ALrigh you heavys.

Im a casual player and love the odd game on yahoo aswell as with a few mates and some cheaap beer.

We usually just divide the chips and put in a fiver each and play until there is a winner. This we do about 3 times in a night so the max anyone will win/lose is 15 about quid.

Weve been playing texas hold em and its a grand bit of craic, but recently I was wondering if maybe draw poker or maybe 7 card stud might be more fun..

what you reckon?

also I was wondering what is an ideal savoury snack. personally I like cheesy tortillas, but i hear sausage rolls go down well.

Also, is wearing sunglasses reccommended? is bluffing reccommended? whats the average hand that wins a game of texas holdem??- pair of 10s???

happy christmas.

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The last few questions cant really be answered. 7-stud is a fun game or there are any number of variants on the net (Irish or Crazy Pineapple are easy to pick up for Hold'em players).

Sausage rolls sound like a disaster for the cards!! beer. beer nuts. whiskey. If there was such a thing as whiskey nuts I'd eat them.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Aahhh...I sense a fellow whiskey drinker ;)

Hey womoma, stick with the nuts and pringles and chocolate munchies. Anytime I play with my mates and we try things like sausage rolls n stuff the cards get all greasy n stuff, so stick with the basics ;)

D...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

yeah greasy food is prolly a bad idea. Whiskey is prolly a good idea. we usually have a few cheapo beers from spar. Dutch Gold or Tuborg. Nuts are prolly a great idea. what about cocktail sticks with cheese and pinapple and pickled onion? maybe thats a bit posh for gambling. heheh.

Any ideas for the soundtrack? i hate american country music and also hate the fact that everyone associates poker with america despite its popularity worldwide. Mostly listen to calm folk stuff like mazzy star.

right.. anyways- im off to watch the poker on tv3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

omaha is great for short-handed home games. There are so much more outs that you get a lot more play.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Draw Poker ;)

I'd normally go with everyone bringing their own drink, and maybe chipping in for a nice whiskey or something if people are agreeable. Whiskey is good :)

In my experience, a night of dealer's choice is fun. It introduces some randomness and such.

You also seem to be thinking along the right lines money wise. Playing for large sums of money is generally best not done in friendly home games. Play for stakes you are all comfortable with. Always.

Depends on the group though. The traditional Christmas game of cards in my dad's family has always been "expensive" to be taking part in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

Any food is good if your guests appriciate the effort. just make sure the drinks are away from the cards to avoid foolish wasting of beer. 7 card is a good one to play from holdem as it is very similar. and I really recommend Underworld(all of thier albums) as background music. does wonders for the speed of play. :D

good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

best hand in poker is 72o. Dont let anyone tell any different...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭JuliusFranco

you can get big bags of sausage rolls from tescos that are easy to cook and they are really nice, also pizzas will never be turned down

but, Walkers Sensations nuts are tits - €5 a tub but they are sooo worth it - especially, if there are people who, say, might be susceptible to doses of the munchies ;)

here are other variations of poker that might be fun
    http://poker.sportinglife.com/Variations/index.shtml

if ye get bored with poker, 25s is a great game (as long as you got people who can play) and "In-between-ies" is a classic (tho it might start rows :) )

back ground music is a nessessity, chemical brothers, faithless

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

if ye get bored with poker, 25s is a great game (as long as you got people who can play)

now you're talking :) , and if you want to introduce the extra 'edge' that NL possesses .... try "Auction 15" ... best of both worlds !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

Yeah teamed 25s is a great game - not unlike bridge in fact (which is also a very underrated game imo) though without the bidding.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Some easy Hot Eastern European chicks should go down well,if they can Lapdance all the better.

Culchie wrote:
    now you're talking :) , and if you want to introduce the extra 'edge' that NL possesses .... try "Auction 15" ... best of both worlds !

brilliant!
    nobody in Dublin seems to play this tho, my dad still goes on about the turkeys and bottles of paddy he won!

Yeah teamed 25s is a great game..

i don't know of i like the sound of this..

explain how it works...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

its a bit of a crazy game. I know how to play it but its too complicated too explain and i am QUITE a lazy person....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I've given up playing this at home as *apparently* there's only one way to play *properly*.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Music: The soundtrack to Oceans Eleven is my flats favourite background music. Or The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Which would fit the poker playing styles of the three occupants come to think of it :):)

DeV.

i don't know of i like the sound of this..

explain how it works...

Table of 9, 3 teams of 3 ... each sitting 3 apart.

46 of the 52 cards in play !

Brain Surgery ..... Pah ! .... anyone can do that !

Imposter wrote:
    I've given up playing this at home as *apparently* there's only one way to play *properly*.

lmao ... is your dad from Mayo as well !!

This is code for

"Well played son, you beat me well there ......why you little f........."

brilliant!
    nobody in Dublin seems to play this tho, my dad still goes on about the turkeys and bottles of paddy he won!

Let's get it on ....we'll organise a game coming up to Christmas !!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Fathead

"In-between-ies" is a classic

Care to explain the rules to me as its been a long time since i played......
    i seem to remember a rather large pile of coin building up :D

• Advertisement

Culchie wrote:
    Let's get it on ....we'll organise a game coming up to Christmas !!

oh it's owwwnnn!!

Fathead wrote:
    "In-between-ies" is a classic

Care to explain the rules to me as its been a long time since i played......
    i seem to remember a rather large pile of coin building up :D

sorry for going off topic with this tread but..

how "In-between-ies" work is like this (quickly)

every one puts an ante in the pot
    everyone gets 2 cards then they can fold or bet that the next card they get is between the 2 they have already (eg if i have a K and a 2, i'm hoping that the next card i get is a 3 etc)
    if they win, they win the money they bet
    if they lose (eg an A comes out) they lose the stake
    if they "hit the post" (eg a K comes out) then they lose double they bet
    all loses go into the pot so the pots can build up

with a game with 20c ante i've seen people loose €100 quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Culchie wrote:
    lmao ... is your dad from Mayo as well !!

This is code for

"Well played son, you beat me well there ......why you little f........."
    No, but my parents used to play a weekly game with a lot of blow-ins ;)
    The problem is more with my mother and one of my brothers. My Dad will be stirring as much sh1t as possible while the *discussion* continues.

I actually think the way that game is played in our house (when played *properly*), that the results only depend on position and the randomness of the cards. I think position definitely plays a roll here as we all usually sit in the same seats and I rarely come out ahead. Similarly the player opposite me usually wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

sorry for going off topic with this tread but..

how "In-between-ies" work is like this (quickly)

every one puts an ante in the pot
    everyone gets 2 cards then they can fold or bet that the next card they get is between the 2 they have already (eg if i have a K and a 2, i'm hoping that the next card i get is a 3 etc)
    if they win, they win the money they bet
    if they lose (eg an A comes out) they lose the stake
    if they "hit the post" (eg a K comes out) then they lose double they bet
    all loses go into the pot so the pots can build up

with a game with 20c ante i've seen people loose €100 quid!

Sorry for taking this even more off topic but there is one mistake with playing the game this way...

If you "hit the post" you should have to lose double the POT, not double the bet. This means you need a bit more balls to gamble with a marginal chance. I remember playing this with a guy who bet pot, pot, pot, pot until nobody was willing to play for that much money and he could just win the pot next time he had a decent shot at in between. Reminds you of a certain omaha player?

If this game gets very competitive the way to beat it is counting cards.

Advertisement