Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midlands Range

Options
  • 16-06-2005 4:33pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How do you go about joining the Midlands Rifle Club/Range?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ogam

Rew wrote:
    How do you go about joining the Midlands Rifle Club/Range?

why would you want to - after reading some of the threads on midland I would look elsewhere -there are plenty of new ranges opening up. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

If you live in the eastern part of the country, check out the leinster rifle and pistol club, who have only just got a 300yard range, are cheaper and dont seem to have the same problems as M.R.C

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

There's two (or more) sides to every story, I wouldn't rule out joining a range based on the posts of some people on a website.

http://www.midlandrifleclub.com/

Have a look at that, maybe arrange to head down for a visit and talk to some people in person.

Annual membership for new members is €350, €200 thereafter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Just for the record, I've nothing to do with the organization or running of the MRC, but I've been an ordinary member for almost a year now.
    I don't get over there as often as I'd like, but when I do, I've never met with anything but enthusiasm and 'good vibes' (for want of a better description) from everyone I've encountered there.

I don't doubt that some posters here feel that they have been badly treated, but I personally have had nothing but good experiences there.

I'm not looking to get into a row about the merits or otherwise of MRC, I just felt that I should state my point of view on the Club, for what it's worth.

YMMV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭boudica

simple, come up and visit, you will be made very welcome. I have had a lot of great days shooting there. the people there are helpful and friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Ammoman

boudica wrote:
    simple, come up and visit, you will be made very welcome. I have had a lot of great days shooting there. the people there are helpful and friendly.

The Ordinary members are certainly friendly and helpful but definitely not the people that run the club , at least not after they have your fees . I have been a member for the last 4 years and found the place great for the first year , then everything changed , now all they are interested in is cash , I have paid a membership for last year and to date this year all that I recieved from them was a demand for this years fees , no notifications of bisley trips , no notifications of training courses nothing for the year , so if you do go , dont be afraid to ask what peoples opinion of the committee are , you probobly wont have to ask , its all people talk about anyway .dont get me wrong here , the facilities on the range are excellent its the management of the range thats got absolutely no people skills .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Flattop 15

On this time,I want to ask.Is there anything here in Ireland preventing one from opening a shooting range on a purely commerical basis??
    IE no comitties,clubs to join,waiting periods and associated bitchiness and hassles.
    You come in,provide your liscense&insurance details,you shoot,you go home.
    [Obeying house rules and saftey rules as well,of course.]
    Am thinking more and more on this as we have really nothing West of the Shannon,and I am wondering would this be a commerical viability?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

Flattop 15 wrote:
    On this time,I want to ask.Is there anything here in Ireland preventing one from opening a shooting range on a purely commerical basis??
    IE no comitties,clubs to join,waiting periods and associated bitchiness and hassles.
    Am thinking more and more on this as we have really nothing West of the Shannon,and I am wondering would this be a commerical viability?

I know this dosn't suit you but that seems to be the M.O. for Leinster R.P.C.
    Went for drive today to have a look at new range.Lots of potential(and work to be done).Firing points , butts and back-stop all there, space for car-park
    and smaller ranges and even space to extend.Hope that everything goes as planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If you can do it for bowling alleys and driving ranges Flat, you can do it for target shooting ranges. But commercially viable? Well, depends on the demographic you go for I guess. Most ranges do well to break even, we're just that small a community. But some shotgun ranges operate this way, and some rifle ranges, by taking executive groups in for a day's shooting.
    You won't make a million euro this way though :toothy:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Flattop 15 wrote:

Hello Flattop 15,
    If you were to do this,you would have to make sure you got planning permission first, or you would be out of business and out of pocket pretty quick.

I have to agree with Sparks on this :) ,you would need to make sure you catered to multiple shooting disciplines ,small bore rifle,pistol,possibly clay shooting,bench rest and corporate groups to get max revenue,because if you didnt make money you would go bust.

It would take a big investment of cash to make this happen,because the facilities would have to be really good ,not just a bare shooting range and a sheltered ditch for a toilet!

Dvs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Flattop 15

[
    QUOTE=cantona]I know this dosn't suit you but that seems to be the M.O. for Leinster R.P.C.
    Good,but it is a 200 mile round trip for me to Dublin.The fuel expenditure for a 1/2hr shoot isnt really justified.

Ok, this is what I have to offer .
    A Very large barn that is roofed,with the potential for at least 10 20meter smallbore/pistol ranges.Possibility of putting a admin,club /store whatever in there as well.Concrete parking lot.Possibility of putting a 150/200meter outdoor range as well as maybe a sporting clay layout in a forestry area.
    All on private property,enclosed by a wall average height 7ft,and owned freehold.Think we can do somthing with this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Flattop 15 wrote:
    [
    Good,but it is a 200 mile round trip for me to Dublin.The fuel expenditure for a 1/2hr shoot isnt really justified.

Ok, this is what I have to offer .
    A Very large barn that is roofed,with the potential for at least 10 20meter smallbore/pistol ranges.Possibility of putting a admin,club /store whatever in there as well.Concrete parking lot.Possibility of putting a 150/200meter outdoor range as well as maybe a sporting clay layout in a forestry area.
    All on private property,enclosed by a wall average height 7ft,and owned freehold.Think we can do somthing with this?

I'm sure you can do whatever your funds will provide, but you would still need to seek planning for a commercial venture like this,or run the risk of somebody in your locality, lodging a complaint with your local council and having them come and shut you down!
    it only takes one complaint,or an overzealous council official with issues about shooting, and your up a certain creek, without a paddle!

Dvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Look carefully at the planning side. If I remember right Fassaroe tried for planning for an indoor range in Dalkey in the early 90's and the locals objected, one of the grounds stated aparently was "lead polution" :confused:

Advertisement