Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Luck Tonight at the Fitz

Options
  • 16-06-2005 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭

Just a general good luck to all the boardsters who will try their luck and get a ticket to the WSOP tonight.

Hopefully it will be 'one of our own' !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Thanks Culchie!

saw nothing all night... short stacked with 24 left.. i found AQ (second best hand all night) and i put it all in.. KQ called and hit on flop.

oscar had a good stack but was unlucky to run into trip 10's

Pokertroll and BigDragon were at my table when i left and seemed to be going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Just got back there, got knocked out in 12th :(

Started off at a pretty tough table seated between norm and joe (rock and hard place), and sean murphy down the other end of the table. There was a few 270 regulars there too.

3rd hand in we get three all ins.
    QQ vs KK(joe) vs AA
    aces hold up and theres an early chip leader. Turned out he wasnt too good and lost it all soon after. Joe wasn't too happy bout lasting 3 hands...

Built my stack up to a good 22,000 which was in top 10 for tourny. Then came the killer hand;

had King diamonds 7hearts

flop comes A Q 9 all diamonds

few small bets. I raise about 1000

turn is 8 diamonds

I check . norman bets everyone else folds and i call

river is 4 diamonds for a flush on the board

great i think, no full house i have the nuts. i check. Norm thinks about it and goes all in for about 10,000 altogether.

I call with the 'nuts'. well apparently that wasnt the nuts if you have 10 J of diamonds as norm did for the straight flush!

lost the 25,000 pot when i thought I had the nuts. what a kick in the balls.

move table and built my stack up to 20,000+ going onto the last 2 tables. lost about 7000 on a kicker and was down to about 14000. got blinded down to 11,000 and looked down to see pocket 4's in the BB(2,000). Big Dragon goes all in for 7000 and its folded around to me.

Now he had made the same move a few hands previous with A K so I was hoping for a bit of the same, so i called the extra 5,000. Bad move?
    he turns over the bullets (cheers D!)
    no 4s to save me and im down to 4,500

He went out in 13th or 14th in a monster pot with about 30,000+ in it.
    Unlucky D

forced to go all in on my BB with 3 7 clubs. up against 5 5.
    Pot had about 11,000 in it
    flop comes 4 6 6 with 2 clubs.
    next card 3 hearts

think I have 10 outs??
    (both 3's, and clubs - A, 2, 8, 9, 10, J, Q, K)

King hearts came out and im gone.

Luke announced
    There was 26,000 in the prize fund.
    top 2 got tickets
    3rd got 2,000
    4th got 1,400

ninth got 500

good night where I had no bad luck except for that huge hand with norm. Had i won that i would have knocked him out and probably been chip leader in the tourney. Cant complain too much, still nearly made the money (so sick of saying nearly...)

ahh well...... ill make the WSOP next year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭pokertroll

I could write another book about how tonights tournament went but need to get some sleep as I am up for work in 2 hours.

I was chip leader going onto the final table with about 120k.
    The players that I remember are
    Paddy Hicks
    Willow
    Conor Doyle (excellent player who used to play in the merrion a lot)
    John O'Callaghan
    Eamon (5pin5)
    Young Asian gentleman
    Norman

Paddy was second in chips with approx 100k.
    The rest of the players were averaging 40-80k.

We did a small bit of business beforehand to reduce the top 2 places to 9k
    and increase both the second 2 places to 2.4k. The rest of the players were getting 500-1000.

Its all a bit of a blur now. About 3 hands into it I raised substantially with KQ from mid position. The asian guy who had about 80k flat called. The flop was q high with 2 rags and a club flush draw. The asian guy went all-in and I was faced with a very difficult decision. In the end, I called - the logic being that his bet was too big if he had AQ and that maybe he was on a draw.
    He had AJ and my hand stood up.

I didn't see that many good hands for quite a while

Norman went out when he _called_ Paddy's all-in with A3 on the river on an A high board. Paddy obviously had a much better kicker.

Paddy now had a decent stack and was starting to raise quite a bit. I saw nothing to defend my blinds and my stack started to dwindle.

Eamon, apparently, got pocket kings 8 times in the whole night.
    I think he knocked John O'Callaghan out with them in about 7th position.

The last 4 players were myself, willow, Paddy and Eamon. The blinds had been frozen. Eamon had been playing very well all night and had come back from 1500 chips to have a sizeable stack at this time of the tournament.

I lost a big pot to Willow when she went all-in under the gun.
    I was on the BB with 77 and called. She had 88 and I was back down to about 80k
    I was getting worried by the lack of cards that I was finding so decided to change gears. I raised a couple of hands with medium holdings uncontested so decided to raise a lot more frequently. I was surprised how few times I was called and this built my stack up quite a bit. With well-timed re-raises to Paddy's bets I got myself back into the chip lead. Can't remember how Eamon was knocked out.

The deciding hand was when willow raised to 30k under the gun. Paddy re-raised all-in with A9 and willow called with JJ. Willow's hand stood up and Paddy was knocked out.

Myself and Willow got a welcome 9k each for our efforts bringing my total cashes online and live for the last 7 days up to nearly 14k.

Willow is gonna go to the WSOP. I've now got a bit of spending money for the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Congrats Mark, thats Conor Doyle by the way and Paddy had a straight against Norman, fairly sure I would have made the final table or thereabouts if Id won the pot I went out on but thems the beats, I then lost a 850euro pot to a rivered 2 outer so not a great night for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

roryc wrote:
    had King diamonds 7hearts

flop comes A Q 9 all diamonds

few small bets. I raise about 1000

turn is 8 diamonds

I check . norman bets everyone else folds and i call

river is 4 diamonds for a flush on the board

great i think, no full house i have the nuts. i check. Norm thinks about it and goes all in for about 10,000 altogether.

I call with the 'nuts'. well apparently that wasnt the nuts if you have 10 J of diamonds as norm did for the straight flush!

Unlucky man, that's gotta be tough to take. Only Norman could pull that off. I'm suprised he didn't go on to win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Well done Mark! Great result and a good amount of spending money for sweet Vegas and the ladies of Cheetahs / Olympic Gardens / Glitter Gulch / wherever! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

pokertroll wrote:
    Can't remember how Eamon was knocked out.

i recall Eamon moaning about how someone cracked his pockets eights by calling a 40k raise with K3 and hitting trip threes. Who's the villian that called with K3 i wonder...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Well played Mark, a nice little earner before The Vegas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

Well done Mark

You played a great game when I joined your table. I went card dead after the break when I had 12k after lucking out against JP and then had Vernon bet into me with mid pair when I had a K on the flop to go with my KK in the hole.

The way the pay out was structured meant that I had to call for a big pot 3 ways with Q9s against two Ax's and I had the draw on the flop that missed the turn and river for 14th.

Having not got over the 12k from the break until the I got AA against RoryC's 44 on the last 2 tables, I was quite happy with my play but happy doesn't pay the bills! With Mark and Eamon either side of me it was quite hard to see guys with tickets already with a ton of chips!! (Messing lads!!!)

It was a tough field with each table loaded with tough players.

Note to self: Never put JP on a hand ever again!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

great result Mark, well done and congrats.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Nice work Mark. I stayed on the lower rung (freeroll and STTs) and left at about 7 p.m. About standard for me these days. Played one STT and after my pocket 7s were beaten on the river by a str8 (all-in against AK) and then my pocket 8s beaten on the river by A10 (all-in pre-flop, 10 on the river) to knock me out I decided to waste no more money. Good to see some faces I haven't seen in a while. Amp, Dev, Oscar, Samson and so on. And nice to get my Stuey movie back :) Enjoy Vegas you jambags.

fair play pokertroll. were you sitting a few seats to my right when it got down to the last 2 tables? Think you were in table 2 seat 5

kinaldo wrote:
    i recall Eamon moaning about how someone cracked his pockets eights by calling a 40k raise with K3 and hitting trip threes. Who's the villian that called with K3 i wonder...

Thats right - Willo raised to 40k with K3 and Eamon re-raised another 5k all-in. She hit her trips on the flop.

Rory, you are right about my seating position - I won that big pot against you where you couldn't call my bet when the K hit on the river.

Needless to say, I am only out of bed now so am very late for work.

Had A Q....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

pokertroll wrote:
    Needless to say, I am only out of bed now so am very late for work.

Ah now you can give up the day job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TimFoil

Mark, a fantastic result on top of a string of great finishes. You're definitly one to watch, looking forward to following you in Vegas. Well done you.

roryc wrote:
    Had A Q....

Me too ;-)

bas tard........

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭nicryan

roryc wrote:
    Just got back there, got knocked out in 12th :(

Started off at a pretty tough table seated between norm and joe (rock and hard place), and sean murphy down the other end of the table. There was a few 270 regulars there too.

3rd hand in we get three all ins.
    QQ vs KK(joe) vs AA
    aces hold up and theres an early chip leader. Turned out he wasnt too good and lost it all soon after. Joe wasn't too happy bout lasting 3 hands...

norm and joe, a rock and a hard place????? eh? and you also forgot to mention the best player who was sitting at that table....you do know that the guy who had QQ in that hand was peter roche, yeah?

but his performance in the 100 game that night paid for his ticket into the wsop =P

Nic

Advertisement