Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sale of Magic Mushrooms to be made illegal?

• 15-06-2005 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭

Heard from a friend of mine that the sale of unprepared magic mushrooms is to be made illegal as of the end of the month.

Anyone know if this is true? What's the point in doing this since the majority of people just pick them themselves anyway?

Anyone got any links to news stories about it if it's true?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Heard from a friend of mine that the sale of unprepared magic mushrooms is to be made illegal as of the end of the month.

Anyone know if this is true? What's the point in doing this since the majority of people just pick them themselves anyway?

Anyone got any links to news stories about it if it's true?

These guys might have something to say about this :- http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/special+edition/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

havent heard anything about that
    theyre still on sale in canabiz in dublin
    mate got some last week the people there didnt say anything about it anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

www.kingbong.com
    www.potseeds.co.uk

etc etc etc :)

badger badger badger badger...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

When they are made illegal it might stop all this drugs talk on boards? I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Bond-007 wrote:
    When they are made illegal it might stop all this drugs talk on boards? I wonder?

all this drug talk on boards ??!! What are you on? There is minimal drugs talk on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,312 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

But this wuld mean
    a) its currently legal
    and
    b) "prepared" magic mushrooms would still be legal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

the_syco wrote:
    But this wuld mean
    a) its currently legal
    and

Selling mushrooms is legal in Ireland as long as they aren't prepared in anyway for consumption.

It isn't legal to 'prepare' magic mushrooms for consumption so "prepared" magic mushrooms are currently illegal and would remain so.

I probably didn't make that clear in my original post.

I'm not really too worried about not being able to buy mushrooms (but thanks for the links anyway) - I just thought it was an interesting ruling seeing as the majority of people don't buy them but rather pick them at the right time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

the_syco wrote:
    But this wuld mean
    a) its currently legal
    and

just to clear this up mushrooms are not illegal prepared or unprepared what is illegal is psilocin and psilocybin the magic in the mushrooms. its the same way that blotting paper isn't illegal but the lsd its dipped in is. the only reason fresh mushrooms are semi legal is that it is something that is grown and they can't prove the manufacture of the psilcoin.

just to clear this up mushrooms are not illegal prepared or unprepared what is illegal is psilocin and psilocybin the magic in the mushrooms. its the same way that blotting paper isn't illegal but the lsd its dipped in is. the only reason fresh mushrooms are semi legal is that it is something that is grown and they can't prove the manufacture of the psilcoin.

I'm almost sure it is illegal to prepare mushrooms for consumption in this country.

Here's a link

http://www.ndc.hrb.ie/directory/news_detail.php?cat_id=&news_id=1977&pointer=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

That's very interesting.

I had heard that they were being sold alright, its a bold move on the part of the shop owner. I guess if the PDs have anything to do with it legaslation will be brought in soon enough.

Also interesting, "The British government has recently classified magic mushrooms as Class A drugs, in the same category as heroin, ecstasy, cocaine and crack." Excessive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭netvista

was talking to one of the shops owners when i got some last time and he was saying the mcdowells office had sent them a letter saying that it was legal to sell the mushrooms as they were, but any type of prepaeration done to them was ilegal

Just e-mailed the Minister for Justice's office about it. Everyone you talk to seems to have a different version of what's legal and what isn't. I'll post any reply I get.

*scratches chin*

my my, what an interesting website.

(edit)

http://www.addictionireland.ie/faq/article.asp?FID=33&T=F

^^ rofl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Aye tis a noodle scratcher alright.
    Selling prepared mushrooms is illegal
    They cannot make the sale of fresh mushrooms illegal as they would have to take all normal mushrooms off the market,regardles of psilocin and psilocybin. I have purchased mushrooms from this shop on many an occasion and had a chat with the guy who owns the place. The law in ireland at the moment is very lax as we have a lot of natural mushrooms growing and you cant exactly stop someone from selling vegetables

They are fungi and not vegetables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

I think one of the problems they would have if they did make them illegal is they would have to define all the species of shrooms i know about 20 distinct species off the top of my head and i know some species that are morphologically(have the same physical features) the same but in differnet continents are chemical different. so they would have a real problem trying to name them all. and anyho if they do get banned they are easy enough to grow from scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Bond-007 wrote:
    They are fungi and not vegetables.
    Great contribution there mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

hmmm.... i remember reading that the UK's Drugs Act 2005 will make it illegal there sometime nowish.. perhaps your friend is confused? I presume we'd follow suit too..but this is the first i've heard of it if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

http://www.drugs.gov.uk/NationalStrategy/DrugsAct2005

"
    What part of the law has changed?

Section 21 of the Drugs Act 2005 amends Part I of Schedule 2 to the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 by inserting “Fungus (of any kind) which contains psilocin [a Class A drug] or an ester of psilocin”. It is an offence to import, export, produce, supply, possess or possess with intent to supply magic mushrooms whatever form they are in.

It is expected to come into force around July 2005. At present, the Home Office is drafting regulations that will provide an exemption to the offence of possession. The proposed regulations will make clear under what circumstances it will not be unlawful to possess magic mushrooms. For example, a person will not be committing an offence of possession of magic mushrooms if the mushrooms are growing naturally and uncultivated in their garden. Section 21 will come into force at the same time as the regulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Mordeth wrote:
    badger badger badger badger...
    Heh. I was just thinking that.

And that's the most intelligent contribution I can make to this thread...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Altheus

So who went and told the Gardaí about Cannabiz...

Altheus wrote:
    So who went and told the Gardaí about Cannabiz...
    Fair play to who ever it was.

armchair moralists \o/

making magic mushrooms class A is rediculous

mushrooms the same as heroine? id like to see the explanation to why theyre the same?
    are not addictive in any way

Eating the wrong kind of mushroom can make you seriously ill, and even kill you.
    Magic Mushrooms can complicate any mental health issues you may have. Anyone with a history of schizophrenia should stay away from Magic Mushrooms.
    the only way you can die is by eating an actual poisonous one which would be a stupid thing to do...... thats why they have books with pictures describing what ones to take. and anyone with mental problems shouldnt be taking any drugs whatsoever

speed is a class b drug and its physically worse for you than mushrooms aswell as being highly addictive... so wheres the justice? the law is supposed to justify the actions it takes.
    Speed users have died from overdose.
    Speed puts a strain on your heart. It's bad news for people with high blood pressure or a heart condition. An overdose can be fatal.
    Avoid taking speed and anti-depressants or alcohol. This combination has been known to be fatal.
    Taking a lot of speed can give your immune system a battering. You could get more colds, flu and sore throats if you use it a lot.
    Speed can lead to anxiety, depression, irritability and aggression as well as mental illness such as psychosis and paranoid feelings.
    Too much sniffing speed and you're sneezing lumps out of your nose into a hanky.
    Injecting any drug can cause vein damage, ulcers and gangrene. Dirty or shared needles and injecting works can help the spread of hepatitis and HIV. Injecting speed is particularly dangerous because it's cut with so much crap.
    It's easier to overdose injecting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Fcuk me i havent taken mushies since last year :rolleyes: :D took some whilst in England and a great buzz was had..they can ban the sale of them as much as they want,most people i know pick them for free anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

hmmm... not quite sure what i think about being able to get them in shops... i love doing mushrooms, but i also always liked teh way that if you wanted them you had to wait till the right time of year to go and get them and then take them etc... you cant have a drug problem if youre only getting them for a few short weeks towards the end of the summer now can you???

on the other hand, they're as close to a harmless drug as cannabis is... so no wonder the government don't want you to be touching them. stick to the whiskey and cigarettes kids! we can tax those!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

besides, mushrooms are a very important and integral part of irish culture. where the hell do you think the idea for halloween came from???

do you think someone, straight as an arrow decided to hide away from all teh fairies and ghosts and demons one autumn for no apparent reason at all at all?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

About time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MiniMetro

There was me thinking all prepared mushrooms were illegal, phew, thanks for clearing that up.

• Advertisement

dregin wrote:
    About time.
    why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Its going to be illegal from 18th July.

So get your orders in ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Just to let any beginners know, or even users out there that want to go that extra bit to be SERIOUSLY carefull.

I've done several types of hallucigenics.

All hell came charging out when I took a bit to many. Had a very bad trip lasting for about 7 hours. Came out of it fine for about 4 weeks, then suffered acute anxiety / or adjustment disorder, which ever u you to call it. Basically a not so bad version of PTSD (symptoms of de-realisation and de-personalisation, depression etc)

In other words I went through absolute hell for about 4 to 5 months.. you have no idea unless youve actually experinced this kind of day to day fear of pretty much everything. I'm pretty much over most of it.. but now I cant enjoy a spliff anymore with out experiencing alot of anxiety etc..

It has given a blow to my social life, since alot of my friends enjoy haning out an smoking a bit, but on the good side I would say it has rescued me in the long run, seeing as if it hadnt happened I may have never stopped and could have gone to deeper into the drugs.

My advice, please please please, be very carefull when taking mushrooms.
    Remeber,
    Start with low dose's and increase slightly if your comfortable.
    Be around friends who are trustworthy, and who you feal at ease with.
    Try not to be interupted be out siders while tripping, or go out side on your first trip.
    Nice ambient lights, and good chilled music will have you feeling very euphoric.

Take care and enjoy, but please be carefull. I wasnt..

Advertisement