Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the biggest pot you've ever lost?

Options
  • 15-06-2005 6:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭

and how did u handle it?

my head is absolutely wrecked!

just back from an all night cash game in The Merrion having lost almost €400 in one pot when my kings ran into aces. Then 2 minutes later your man who i'd been outplaying all night got up and left. Fair paly to him though I wish i'd had the nerve to do that.

Down about €25 after that disaster, I quickly bounced back to win a couple of big pots taking me back up to around €200 profit, and yet all i could think about was the pot I'd lost. I can hardly even remember any details as to how those pots were won, such was my lack of focus. Let it slip away again but still finsished up €72 profit after 7 long hours.

tilt could've been a lot worse I suppose I just wish I'd left when I was up almost €500 but felt almost obliged to stay on, plus i was waiting for a plate of chips which took what seemed like an hour to arrive (fairly typical)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Biggest pot I've lost to date was 960 to a rivered 3 outer. At least you lost to a better hand which is always comforting as you then have to question how you played the hand and whether you could have gotten away from it.
    My typical run this year is getting rivered in most large pots by no more than 5 outers. Last night for example I had AA beaten by AK (all-in preflop), AA beaten by KK (all-in preflop), KK beaten by 72 (all-in on flop of 9 7 3), QQ beaten by AK (all-in on flop of Q 10 6), 99 beaten by 22 (all-in preflop). There are many more examples but these are the ones that are still fresh in the memory. All these pots were for over 200 and the biggest I won was for about half that. I know I played the hands correctly and got all the money in as the big favourite but that still doesn't make you feel any better and doesn't do anything for your bankroll. I really hate this game at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

Many moons ago when i was optimistic about Cards i sat into the €100 cash game in the Fitzwilliam. Now it wasn't as big as it is now. But i cleaned up, every hand I was in I won. unbelievable run of cards. Sat down with €100 black chip and cashed in for 7K at 3.00 a.m. So needless to say i made all the plans about what i was going to do with the money, blah blah blah. Got a bit full of my ability to play cards with the big boys. About 3 weeks later I sat down in the €100 game again and I was up about €1,000 and had about €1,300 in from of me. It was the last hand of the night, Luke dealing. The pot was raised preflop by Tony Cooney (Guy from Cork who came third in the Irish open), another guy after Tony made it €100 preflop, and it came around to me. I could have gone to the loo, not even looked at my cards, but oh no i looked down and had Kh Qh Ad 10d, stayed for €100, went back around to Tony who re-raised the pot, at this stage it is quite a blur, but i stayed for all my money in the middle pre-flop.......€1,400. I know my cards weren't great but the idea of being in one pot so big, was unreal..
    Needless to say no money left, there were 5 in the pot but myself and Tony were the only ones in all the pots.

Flop comes Kd 7h 8h, Tony looks over and asks how im fixed. (The blood at this stage has drained from my face and i feel sick.) I try to reply calmly Top pair and a flush draw. Next Card up 2h, happy days, to which Tony announces nuts, and throw over Ah 10h. The river cards is irrelevant. So ladys and gentlemen in one foul swoop i lost €1,400. There are so many reasons why I should never have got involved in the pot, and don't think I haven't tortured myself over these
    (A) last hand of night, no chance of getting money back
    (B) Very high possibility that if Tony raises a pot and there is a re-raise into him that he will re-raise again.
    (C) I was up 1K on night, just exactly how much money is enough. I had sat down with €300 in front of me.

But you can go over a hand in your head time and time again but it is how you feel at that particular time in question.

I have now realised that the €100 game is way, way, way outside my range, money wise, but somehow you have to live through the torture of trying it out. Most of the people sitting down there have about 3-7K in front of them and they are willing to gamble it. They are either professional players or own Businesses.

I don't regret trying it out, and every now and then i sit into the game with €300 in front of me. Which can last maybe 3 hands or else treble you up in three hands..., but is way to rich for me.

Anyway novel over, keep posting the threads cause it is nice to hear about the Fitz (and of course the Merrion aswell!!!) On a month off (again) so might see you all in July..

Smurph

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

think the biggest pot i lost was after a good run of cards online,
    in a few days i had turned my initial 20 euro buy in into 380. not too
    bad. so to liven things up i closed all my small tables and tried my luck
    at a 3-6 NL level. i come in on the big blind and pick up QQ,
    under the gun raises it to 32 which gets 4 callers, so there's about 130 in the pot.
    plenty for me...so i push all in, 2 pensive folders around to the last player to act,
    who has a similar sized stack and calls straight away.
    flips over 10 10, hits a 10 on the river and that's it.

one of the pensive folders admitted mucking jacks, the other AK.
    anyway the flop came all rags, possibly i should have flat called
    and seen the flop came with nothing and then pushed all in.

actually... the biggest pot was heads up against davey devil i suppose
    in the 270 tournament, first prize was 7500 second 3300
    last hand with a small stack i pushed in on an open ender... for 4200!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Ive lost a 2400sterling pot with app16 cards going for me on the flop and 23 on the turn Kings doublesuited lost to a small two pair with 800 invested in the pot

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Was that in the Gutshot Oscar?

I think the pot I lost last weekend was the biggest I've lost. I have KK and UTG makes it 20, Christy (small, balding, goatee) stays and I make it 100+ to go. Both call. Flop is J 8 4 rainbow. UTG checks Christy goes all in for 100+ and I call. He turns over 10,7o but hits a 9 on the river.

I wouldnt mind but then he proceeds to "lecture" me about how I shouldnt wait for good hands and just get in there and gamble. needless to say afaik he was wiped out by the end of the night, not to me though, I saw none of it. :(

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

That's always the case I find, some idiot calls your big re-raise with junk and proceeds to get lucky having invested all his/her chips on a pathetic long shot. Obviously they tend to loose all the money they sucked out of you through the course of the evening but it is never back to you. Therefore after suffering a horrendous bad beat you're saying to yourself “I'll get all that back eventually just please stay at the table” but you never do. All the other players seem to prosper from the table idiot at your expense. Sometimes there is just no justice in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

No, it was playing 10/20PLO on betfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

$100 -- had AA on the button with one $3 raiser in ahead of me. I reraise to $20 and he calls. get the all clear on a rainbow flop and get my stack in. Unfortunately he'd hit a set of 10's on the flop and my bullets got nay help on the turn/river :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

$1340

AA v A2 runner runner inside straight :eek:

wouldnt mind but then he proceeds to "lecture" me about how I shouldnt wait for good hands and just get in there and gamble.

Yeah just get in there on a wing and a prayer, close your eyes and everything will be just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

2/4 Holdem:

Call an UTG raise with 99. BB calls also. Flop comes 9xx two spades. BB bets the pot UTG calls I raise the pot. Call Call. Turn is a blank. UTG bets pot BB calls, I push. Both suicidally call. BB with AA and UTG with QQ. River: A.

Pot: $1400. :(

At Mike's tournament in Drogheda I pushed with JJ and got called by a pot commited BB with QT and another player who had pot committed himself in an ape like fashion by limping for 2/3 of his stack with Kh4h. I'm in alright rather than stellar shape preflop. The flop is A J x (no hearts) I can't concieve of a way K4 guy can win so I'm just praying one of the three remaining Kings don't show up on the turn and river. They don't. Although a Queen and a Ten do. Note that my other opponent was holding these outs. :(

This pot plus the fact I was chip leader going into the hand would have given me about 65-70% of the chips in play with Mike going to award places by chip stacks in 15 minutes or so. So that hand was worth about €2100. That one hurt.

Finally to keep Doc happy I lost a $900 pot in Omaha when I got all in on the flop with bottom set, an open ender and a baby flush draw. My opponent had top set, the same open ender and a better flush draw. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

Just over €1000 in the fitz. 500 of it mine. I floped mid set and got called all the way by a flush draw that hit on the river. And I called off the remainer of my stack :(

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭AmarilloFats

About 4,000 New Zealand dollars... I was travelling...and in Christchurch alone for a week..
    I played the 1/2 PL Mixed game for 6 days it was great....80% seeing every flop... great banter.But on the seventh day Jebus made me cry... I moved up to the bigger game Game..
    I called a raise with 99XX, along with 3 others the flop came K 9 X..He bet blah blah..Turn was a 9..I got all my money against the filthy smug hong kong kant...River case K, quads...nasty...

Of the 4 biggest pots I have played I have lost all of them..Schnice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Kinaldo, why were you playing cash in The Merrion in the first place? I don't think anyone could convince me that is +EV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭pokertroll

Kinaldo, why were you playing cash in The Merrion in the first place? I don't think anyone could convince me that is +EV.

Cash Games have got very busy in the Merrion in the last couple of weeks.
    Apparently they are getting 3 to 4 cash games going most nights which is a big improvement. This is partly due to the re-introduction of the cash game league where you accumulate points the more games that you play to get entry into a tournament with a substantial prize fund and also due to the fact that the tournaments have got very popular again since the lull that they had during the spring when the Fitz had their extension open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I'm not sure, I just kinda stumbled in there after getting knocked out of the double chance. It was actually quite entertaining, my table at least. Tough table for most of the night and I got to play against some guy called Sean who's been bad mouthing me there ever since I called his all in with 77 and rivered a 7 on the final table of the monthly Fitz game (hey, when you're chip leader by a mile u can afford to make those calls!). Kinda ironic coming from someone who gambled all his money away preflop last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

90,000 dollars.
    :(

Marq wrote:
    90,000 dollars.

Please do elaborate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

Marq wrote:
    90,000 dollars.

Is this Marq the dealer from the Fitz and yes please please do elaborate??? I thought my tale of woe was good but this is intriguing :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

i have lost a6400 pot in merrion about 2 months before last xmas.It was a crazy game loads of cash on table with some truly shocking players who cleaned up on roulette blackjack etc.They were drinking too which helped and doing there brainswhich is alwyas nice iwas doing well up about 2500 ina 50 game and should have left but tghe game was too good or so i thought.WITH 2 of the bigger muppets raising like lunatics pre flop i called for about 100 with rags and up comesa 579 rainbow flop me having 68 nuts .utg bets pot i raise other muppet is all and dennis ginger hair pushes his big tank in ive nuts so were all in 2 side pots and the lot adds up to 6400 dennis has nuts also obe guy has set other guy has nothing dennis was freerolling on runner runner hearts and his 68 of hearts hits for the lot grabbed my chips and legged it still up 300 but sick should hve left earlier 2500 up in afifty game how muchm ore do u want.Also lost a 5600 one late one morn in fitz all in jobbie before flop hit big wrap but aa took the lot 5 way action.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭LukeSkywalker

Man i lost 5euro its not much but im young i went all in with 2 pair my bro called then the last card was a spade then he had 2 spades so he won i went mental i wanted all that money i have already won 1 big tourney in our house at the age of 13 it was between me and my bros and some of them got knocked out then i was against 2 ofr my bros i went all in with a 2 pair the 2 of them called i trebled up then 1 of my bros was knocked out by me then my other bro was way ahead later on in the game i went all in with a flush he called then i was winning then i let him get ahead of me then i went all in with a flush and won that sweet money once it was down to 2 players it took us like 3hours to finish it and the king won

Advertisement