Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Velveteen

Options
  • 14-06-2005 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

Hi!
    I know a few of you have attempted to build your own tables and I did a search in the forum and saw links such as distinctivefabric.com etc for velveteen. I'm just wondering has anyone actually ordered anything besides samples from them? If so, how much did you order and how much did it cost (including delivery)? Also, how is the velveteen holding up? Is there much fuzzing after use? Have you come across any better material?

Also, does anyone know of anywhere in Ireland that sells it? We've tried Hickeys but they wont have any in for a while.

Any help appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭AmarilloFats

Ah yes I remember it well....I went with can only be described as "minty curtain material"...Never did get velveteen..
    www.zhivago.ie are excellent for all materials(except velveteen)...HD foam etc..
    I am sure you have this link already http://www.homepokertourney.com/tables_build.htm

Best of luck with it....are you gonna go for the racetrack????

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. I was just onto Hickeys and they don't do velveteen there but they said the thing to use for it would be baize. Has anyone had any experience with this material for poker playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jem

No, but that is what is used for pool/snooker tables so should be hard wearing etc.

Yeah, I wonder which is better.

Amirillo, just looking at an old post again, you said you were going with the Baize from Zhivago.ie @ €11 per yard. What is this Curtain material you speak of and why did you go for it instead of the Baize in the end?

I see on homepokertourney he says suited poker cloth. It doesn't really look the best to me, maybe he just likes it because it has the design on it. I think it's either between velveteen or Baize so, Hickeys charge €32 per Meter for Baize :eek:

If anyone has played on both, please comment:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

velveten is a lot better. Baize is rougher. AFAIK the fitz's tables are velveteen. The mayfairs are baize

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info. I've always thought the Fitz tables had a slight snooker/pool feel to them. Would you think it's the other way around maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭AmarilloFats

Hi Cormie,
    Some Baize can bobble. Snooker/pool baize will not bobble, but its expensive ... give EJ Riley's a tinkle and they could sort you out with some...opposite the abbey theatre..
    I bought "curtain" material from a shop on capel street...its good stuff and cheap.. but the color is manky..In my experience with riley's and zhivago and random shops on Capel street they are extremely helpful on site, not so helpful over the phone....So potter in tell them what you're at and they will help you out...but ideally if you don't mind the wait the velvetenn is the way to go

Velveteen seems to be the thing to go for so! I found this site linked from homepokertourney and I'm just about to put in an order. Seems like a great deal, even shipping is cheap:)

Thanks for all the help!

Actually, has anyone ever come across velveteen which is 72" wide? All I can find is 56" wide :confused:

Advertisement