Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congratulations Ireland!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭MooShop

ya, go on the irish

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What a waste of money.

Still, $140,000 per year just to translate Irish?

Where the nearest Gaelscoil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

hoorah ! it a real psychological boost for the irish language but thats about all
    & while i kind of agree with what the "official language" campaigners were getting at i still think the language is not used enough to warrant "official language" status
    this money could be better spent even if it was spent on promoting irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

****ing pointless.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

seamus wrote:
    What a waste of money.

Still, $140,000 per year just to translate Irish?

Where the nearest Gaelscoil?

Agree with you there Seamus. Whats the point of the EU wasting money on a language the vast majority of the population cant speak. They really need to look at how its taught in schools first. I studied it for what, 12 years. But thanks to brutal teachers, and it being forced down my throat, I can barely speak a word of it. Doubt I could hold a conversation in it. And dont have much interest in ever changing that!

I dont see the cause for congratulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The language is called Irish, not bl**dy Gaelic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

skywalker wrote:
    But thanks to brutal teachers, and it being forced down my throat, I can barely speak a word of it. Doubt I could hold a conversation in it. And dont have much interest in ever changing that!

very well said skywalker, i think i hate it for the exact same reason, but could never explain why!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yea it makes me real proud to be a country that loves wasting money and time like this. Jaysus, sure aren't we only deadly. :rolleyes:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

gaeilge

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

A moral victory for the celtic jersey inbreds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

RuggieBear wrote:
    ****ing pointless.....

Agreed.

I've nothing against the language, but there is something fundamentally wrong with our insistance on it being recognised as an offical language when it is not the vernacular tongue of the people of Ireland.

If we want it recognised then we should teach and use it. Ban English in the Dail, teach Irish properly at school (15 years of tutoring and I still don't speak it), convert all state sponcered organisations to Irish (RTE etc).

Do it properly or let it die.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Utter waste - one more reason to throw glances of contempt in the direction of the squandering EU bureaucracy.

Apparently, this move will create pride amongst us and interest in the language. I'd imagine there'd be more moaning about wasteful funds than anything else and why it costs $4m to employ 30 people (what - are their salaries 100k each?). May as well translate the documents into Klingon - they'd both be read in those languages equally.

I agree that the money would be better invested in actually reforming the teaching of Irish. Even the Yahoo reports recognises that we lie on the census forms (because we do) and that it's spoken by few. This weekend's Sunday Times had an article about how it's vanishing even from Gaeltacht schools, despite their increased subsidies. Somehow, in some fashion, it needs to be made more relevant and interesting - TG4 is a good enough attempt at that, 'Mise le Meas' is less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

It's a Euro language - nobody is saying the French are wasting money

irish is beautiful and anything to preserver it gets my thumbs up

Before anyone *else* on this thread says Irish is a waste of time - go to the national museums, kilmainham gaol, actually look at the GPO - and realise that it's very very far form a waste of time.

You are the very ones that would be singing RA songs at a session

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

Love the language but its just not efficient for the EU to be translating documents into 20 different languages... The waste of cash is depressing!

Anybody got a copy of Babel Fish to lend them???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

BTW Luxembourguish with 40k people speaking it is funded and recognised by the EU for a long time !!

I think its great for Ireland !

go neirí an bothair linn !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭GOAT_BOY

irish is beautiful and anything to preserver it gets my thumbs up

Before anyone *else* on this thread says Irish is a waste of time - go to the national museums, kilmainham gaol, actually look at the GPO - and realise that it's very very far form a waste of time.

You are the very ones that would be singing RA songs at a session

Only scumbags sing 'ra' songs, infact, only scumbags say 'ra'.

Drapper wrote:
    BTW Luxembourguish with 40k people speaking it is funded and recognised by the EU for a long time !!

that's most of the population....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Why is it great for Ireland? How will it benefit us?

The only benefit to anyone is the 30 translators who get hired. They'll benefit.

Pure nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Right, there's a better board for this, one where it won't come down to "Irish is shoite, right!"

GOAT_BOY wrote:
    Only scumbags sing 'ra' songs, infact, only scumbags say 'ra'.

Can i deduce that you are in fact a SCUMBAG?

• Advertisement

RuggieBear wrote:
    that's most of the population....

True, but they speak German and French instead of it, a bit like Irish all say they have a bit but never use it !

We need to hold onto what is Irish in this right winged global society!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

IMO it's a total waste of money. How many people here celebrating are fluent speakers? Not being nasty, just interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭GOAT_BOY

egan007 wrote:
    Can i deduce that you are in fact a SCUMBAG?
    no, hence the 'ra'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

toiletduck wrote:
    IMO it's a total waste of money. How many people here celebrating are fluent speakers? Not being nasty, just interested

Even that question is irrelevant.

Try asking how many people here conduct a single conversations daily in Irish?

I'd wager less than 1%.

ok, lets put aside the old arguements for and against irish.

will this in any meanigful way benefit the language.

I think not. translating a load of EU documents is more or less an arbitrary excercise. For the most part they will only be read by the translators. There will be 30 people with translating jobs now - but I hardly think this will create a new surge in people learning irish to fight for 30 jobs.

It'd be like Brennans announcing 30 new jobs in their bakery and everyone taking cooking lessons (sort of).

GOAT_BOY wrote:
    no, hence the 'ra'

Oh ok - that makes sence - A scumbag that uses lower case then?

i could understand such a move if there was a sizeable proportion of people who could only speak Irish and couldn't speak English, but thats just not the case

toiletduck wrote:

Not fluent but if it was thought in a different way when I was a kid I'd be speaking it now!

its part of our heritage!

I dont think its victory for the langauge but a preservation of what it means to be Irish in the EU of to-day!

Drapper wrote:
    its part of our heritage!

so is druidism, worshipping celtic gods, the brehan laws... should we follow these aswell, so we can assert our "Irishness"

• Advertisement

Drapper wrote:
    I dont think its victory for the langauge but a preservation of what it means to be Irish in the EU of to-day!

true - it does reflect what it means to be irish..... squandering money.

Advertisement