Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cigarrett Lighter Splitters. Possible to daisy chain?

Options
  • 13-06-2005 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi,

Wasnt sure where to but this but.....

Is it possible to daisy chain these devices. I.e.; Put one 3 port adapter into another one so you end up with 5 available ports? If so is there any negative effects, i.e. loss of power?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Haket

You can add as many as you like but it all depends on whats plugged into them. All you are doing is adding access points in parallel. The lighter socket will be attached to a fuse somewhere (check its rating), overload it and it'll blow. There will be no reduction in power beforehand etc etc. It'll just go.

To work out the max power you can get , multiply the fuse rating of the lighter socket (in amps) by 12 (volts). That'll give you the max power in watts. Add the power rating of each device you intend to connect to it up and it should be less that that figure. Personally I'd not load it with more that 60-70% of the power available.

HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Can't help trying to imagine what situation would require this...

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

rsynnott wrote:
    Can't help trying to imagine what situation would require this...
    Lol!

Ipaq PDA
    Bluetooth Car Kit
    GPS
    FM Transmitter
    Phone Charger

= nest!

@Hacket
    Thanks for the great reply. Im going to work on your formula but these all have fairly low power requirements. Do you think it might be too much or would I get away with it? VW Passat if that makes any difference..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Haket

Yeah they all look like low enough power so you should be fine. Whats the power rating of the transmitter though ?.

Sorry for the late reply, I was on hols.

Advertisement